• Secure your account

    A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

  • Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Power steering question

Lazlo Panaflex

Superhero
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
5,752
Reaction score
0
Points
31
I'm no mechanic and I don't want to pay some guy to do the work if it's simple that I can do it, but where is the power steering box located in a car?

I drive a '86 Mercedes Benz and my car makes these funny noises when I make turns, I'm guessing it just needs more PS fluid but I don't know where it goes.

Any help guys.
 
Well, the power steering box in most vehicles is located under the steering wheel, but as for getting in there and fooling with it, I would read up on how to do it before you just run in there and start messing with your power steering. Break out your vehicle's manual and find out where the power steering box is located, there is usually a diagram of all that stuff in the manual somewhere.
 
RTFM. Usually the power steering fluid reservoir is in an easy to reach place.

jag
 
PyroProductions said:
Well, the power steering box in most vehicles is located under the steering wheel, but as for getting in there and fooling with it, I would read up on how to do it before you just run in there and start messing with your power steering. Break out your vehicle's manual and find out where the power steering box is located, there is usually a diagram of all that stuff in the manual somewhere.
I agree. you know you better do somethin bout that problem cus i had this one uncle whose car made sum funny noises like yours and he didn't try to fix it. this wasn't a good decision cus as he made a right turn, his car was falling apart, he lost control it, and had a head on collision wit another car. now he's jus in recovery so... jus sum advice.
 
Lazlo Panaflex said:
I'm no mechanic and I don't want to pay some guy to do the work if it's simple that I can do it, but where is the power steering box located in a car?

I drive a '86 Mercedes Benz and my car makes these funny noises when I make turns, I'm guessing it just needs more PS fluid but I don't know where it goes.

Any help guys.


go to an auto parts store and have one of the employees there help you... they shouldn't charge anything.
 
Read the Manual, or go find a forum full of people that work on cars or something.
 
If you're really bent on doing this yourself go to your local auto parts store and pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual for your make/model. They're very handy and are way better than any manual that comes with the car.
 
I don't think you need to go through all that trouble for power steering fluid... anybody with minimal car experience could point out where the fluid goes by just taking a glance under your hood. It's as simple as adding more oil or coolant to your car. that's why I say have an employee at the auto parts store you buy the fluid from point out where it goes for you.


Once you do this, however, if you still experience the same problem after a week or so... you got a leak and will need to take it in to get repaired.
 
Lackey said:
I don't think you need to go through all that trouble for power steering fluid... anybody with minimal car experience could point out where the fluid goes by just taking a glance under your hood. It's as simple as adding more oil or coolant to your car. that's why I say have an employee at the auto parts store you buy the fluid from point out where it goes for you.


Once you do this, however, if you still experience the same problem after a week or so... you got a leak and will need to take it in to get repaired.
that's what I was going to say
 
Lazlo Panaflex said:
I'm no mechanic and I don't want to pay some guy to do the work if it's simple that I can do it, but where is the power steering box located in a car?

I drive a '86 Mercedes Benz and my car makes these funny noises when I make turns, I'm guessing it just needs more PS fluid but I don't know where it goes.

Any help guys.
Hissing noise or tapping noise? If hissing noise, then you just need to change the power-steering fluid which should be somewhere under the hood, either the corner nearest to the driver or the passenger. It's just a small plastic tank.

If tapping noise, then you need to change the driveshaft.
 
Danger Mouse said:
Hissing noise or tapping noise? If hissing noise, then you just need to change the power-steering fluid which should be somewhere under the hood, either the corner nearest to the driver or the passenger. It's just a small plastic tank.

If tapping noise, then you need to change the driveshaft.

Just because it's a tapping noise doesn't mean it's the driveshaft. I think you probably meant to say steering shaft, but that still doesn't mean it needs to be replaced.

I advise you to take your car to a mechanic there are many, many mechanics nationwide that deal entirely with Mercedes Benz cars that are not dealerships.

Go to one that is ASA certified, and call the BBB before you go.:up:

Don't come to a comic book message board to get advice from people who obviously shouldn't be giving advice about cars.
 
Man-Thing said:
do you have an owner's manual?

look at it!:rolleyes:
Nope, it was stolen, why anyone would want a MB manual beats the s**t outta me.
 
Lazlo Panaflex said:
Nope, it was stolen, why anyone would want a MB manual beats the s**t outta me.

Maybe they had problems with their power steering and wanted to know how to fix it. :)

jag
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"