Push

I just hope it's a fun flick.

I haven't see it yet, so I won't judge the movie, but I don't get why so many movies are being bashed because they either aren't:

1) thought provoking
2) mindless videogame-action-flicks

Where's with fun? Entertainment? Especially if the story and acting are good?

I agree to an EXTENT, JKR.

I usually know what to expect in certain movies. Like in this movie, I was expecting nothing but silly, popcorn entertainment, so-so acting and a bad story. The story was pretty weak like I said and the script has some major issues, but I still enjoyed it for what it was and I think a 6.5/10 seems more than fair in my book.

Of course, if I was watching something like Watchmen, I'd be expecting something completely different.

-TNC

You know, I just go into these movies hoping that it will be solid, which isn't very common nowadays. Movies today are often hit or miss.

I didn't like "Jumper" for example. It was simply - bland. Movies lack "charme" nowadays. That certain something that makes them likeable, even if they aren't masterpieces or thought-provoking.

Honestly, I'm talking about '80's flicks. Wish they would make more movies like they used to back then.

Last edited:
Really. I just loved how they pulled off the super powers in the movie. As in, how plausible they made the crazy powers seem in the universe of Push.

I guess I know what you mean.

In the movie, they use powers we've all seen before in some way, but Push still attempts to add something visually unique.

-TNC

No. I mean like, the powers aren't natural so none of that 10% myth crap, that once someone has powers that power is in their genes and the same power is given to their kid, all of them are psychic based so no wings/etc, and then in the universe... the power is just like a skill you have. For example, the one guy that just shades people for a charge or the other that erases memory or the lady that heals.

It's as if someone listened to me complain about how super powers were misused in fiction recently (Heroes) and then made a movie that hit upon all those issues.

I think Push 2 could turn out to be quite a good movie that could battle with the summer crowds. This was a good start to a fresh new hero franchise.

Yeah, honestly, even though I really didn't like a lot of the script, I think a sequel is readily available out of this and could really expand into something more.

I think it'll make the right BO numbers to get the studio/producers working. I could be wrong.

-TNC

The early Friday numbers I saw say it won't get a sequel unless the movie has great WOM or was cheap in the first place.

Yeah, honestly, even though I really didn't like a lot of the script, I think a sequel is readily available out of this and could really expand into something more.

I think it'll make the right BO numbers to get the studio/producers working. I could be wrong.

-TNC
No I agree with you. The budget for this wasn't stellar and it felt like they were testing the waters with this franchise. They didn't fully commit with a huge budget but they gave enough to not make it suck and to see if this could turn into a possible franchise which is why they left the story open.

I liked it a lot. A WHOLE lot. Now, I know when I like a movie that is a long shot from perfect. The pace was a little slow at times, and there was really only 4-5 action scenes. But, honestly... that's all forgivable if done correctly. The real problem was that the plot got lost... probably in the editing room. Things were picked up and dropped in lines of dialogue that deserved more attention, and the audience who isn't deep into Sci-fi, or doesn't have experience with telepathy wouldn't be strung along properly. This, combined with a poor use of everyone except Dakota Fanning made for a charmless confusing movie that could have really been awesome. I see that they took steps to make it cheaper, but there were certain things they shouldn't have cut corners on. Guns on wires is okay, but the script needed another re-write to accommodate the strengths of the cast.

But all that, for the sci-fi savvy, is utterly forgivable. Aside from some great visuals, with all the hong kong flavour and sparky bullet deflections, you've got some really great uses of powers. The telekinetic duel is not what you've seen before, and is a ot more frenetic... of course, you may have seen that on the internetz. What the Pushers do is so smooth and slick in their memory editing. Even simple 'Shading' hiding things from other psionics is used to epic proportions in a very cool way. What they've done with psionic powers is made them what they should be: game changers. Of course, with different skill levels, and a whole underworld of psychics, there is still a game, but its very, very different from the average cat and mouse, perhaps leading to the confusion in some of the less savvy audience members.

Dakota just made me a fan of hers with this. When she gets drunk, I couldn't believe they were allowed to film it, but it was funny as heck to me. I NEVER expected her to take on comedy, but she was funny. I wish they would've set someone in that scene as the 'straight man' and had some back and forth... it could've been a really great moment for the film.

All in all I give it a 7/10. It is better than average overall, but it still lacks a certain umph to be a real franchise. As someone who desperately wanted to like Jumper but found it hard to appreciate anything other than the powers (and Griff), I can safely recommend this movie to the sci-fi/comics/anime guy/gal. It doesn't bother to translate for the uninitiated, and a lot of build is missing from this movie in favor of style shots, but it delivers a fun ride and great uses, and abuses of power that give this "superhero" genre so much of the awe that makes it unique to the non-powered action movie.

In short: See it. If not now, then on DVD. It's something that deserves to be seen.

wow wtf!... the reviews were totally wrong about this this movie.

saw it last night and i loovved it!

i love dakota... chris evans was total meh' though.

very clever use of peoples powers(not so clever story)...
but overall it was very entertaining and i cant wait for a sequel.

i gave it an 8 out of 10 simply because it was an entertaining flick with many clever little ideas, and might be the best action/scifi flick of this year so far.

HAHA so everyone who despises Heroes loves this movie:up:

Well there is always one exception:) Not Heroes season 1...Heroes now.

I'm a fan of Heroes, but for a first, I was really disappointed in the last episode.

-TNC

Hop on the train as we all go to the next station...LOST!

I really wish people would quit saying this is this year's Jumper. These two movies are not the same. Jumpers only teleport there and is no teleportation in Push.

And you know this how?

Anyways, this movie was pretty good surprisingly, sure it had it's flaws, but I'd take a sequel to this any day of the week compared to a Jumper 2.

See, after this, I would not mind old Paul directing one of the DC/Marvel flicks. Don't know which property yet.

I thought the concept was pretty good, and all the names for the various powers were simple and made sense. I think the movie started off good but then dragged. I think I nodded off once or twice during the film. The middle part needed a jolt.

This might be wrong for me to say so, but I thought the actress playing Kira wasn't attractive at all and I didn't really see any real chemistry between her and Chris Evans' character. I was also disappointed that they didn't do more with Djimon Hounsou-though he displayed a cool, collected ruthlessness. The actor that was his henchmen (formerly Marcus Van Sciver from Blade the Series) did a good job as the muscle. I thought Dakota Fanning and Chris Evans both did a good job.

I also didn't care for the Chinese agents hunting them. The girl was too whiny and the guys got on my nerves with all the screaming after a while. There is definitely enough loose ends to warrant a sequel but I don't know if it'll make enough at the box office to greenlight a sequel, unless its straight to video.

It was made for 38 million. I'm sure it can muster that easily with 10 million already in the bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"