Question on renter's rights

BlackSymbiote

Superhero
Reaction score
My wife and I live in an apartment complex next door to a security company THAT DOESN'T ANSWER THEIR PHONES.

This is the only security company used by this complex. It's essentially our security system.

The complex itself will not do anything short of leaving a message or writing a report (notice they did not say FILING it). The cops usually don't respond to situations that would require simply security.

As renters, do we have the right to refuse to pay rent until a reliable security company can be contracted, because we don't feel safe or protected? Or does that only apply to things like a busted AC unit or broken door?

My wife and I live in an apartment complex next door to a security company THAT DOESN'T ANSWER THEIR PHONES.

This is the only security company used by this complex.

The complex itself will not do anything short of leaving a message or writing a report (notice they did not say FILING it). The cops usually don't respond to situations that would require simply security.

As renters, do we have the right to refuse to pay rent until a reliable security company can be contracted, because we don't feel safe or protected? Or does that only apply to things like a busted AC unit or broken door?

Depends on what your rental agreement says. Though your only option is probably to move out and maybe get out of the contract .

This is the only security company used by this complex. It's essentially our security system.

I'm pretty sure that withholding rent is never a good idea. Unless you want to risk being evicted.

I recommend you check your local yellow pages for info on such matters. There are a ton of resources to answer your questions. I think the answer is based state to state or something.

Depends on what your rental agreement says. Though your only option is probably to move out and maybe get out of the contract .

Our rental contract promises a security system, and since our security system will not answer their phones, it seems like a breach of contract to me.

Our rental contract promises a security system, and since our security system will not answer their phones, it seems like a breach of contract to me.

Well.. technically they have kept the promise of having a security system. Unless the contract specifically says that they have to be good, you're out of luck.

Then you may have something, however do not stop paying rent, talk to the management of the property and try and work something out. If that fails move and contact a lawyer, so you can break your contract without any ill affects.

Also, start documenting everything that pertains to this. Example if you talk to the management and they promise to fix it, have them sign something stating as much.

I'm pretty sure that withholding rent is never a good idea. Unless you want to risk being evicted.

Then you may have something, however do not stop paying rent, talk to the management of the property and try and work something out. If that fails move and contact a lawyer, so you can break your contract without any ill affects.

Also, start documenting everything that pertains to this. Example if you talk to the management and they promise to fix it, have them sign something stating as much.

Never hurts to place a call to the local BBB. Maybe others have done the same thing...and a call from them to the rental company owning your property may get them to realize theirs a problem.

I use to be a slumlord...I mean landlord, never had any real results with BBB in assisting me when contractors attempted take advantage of a single woman. :cmad: But maybe your area might be better.

Did you open up that yellow pages yet. It's wonderful resource that's not utilized enough.

What is it specifically that he's supposed to be looking for in the Yellow Pages. Your advice is kind of vague there and I'm worried that he might make a mistake and order some drapes.

jag

I use to be a slumlord...I mean landlord, never had any real results with BBB in assisting me when contractors attempted take advantage of a single woman. :cmad: But maybe your area might be better.

Did you open up that yellow pages yet. It's wonderful resource that's not utilized enough.

Groups or organizations that aide and assist in such matters.
I'm sure there has to be some sort of advocacy group in his area.

here in Mexico, we have something called PROFECO, or Consumer's Federal Bureau or something like that and there you can actually call or go, make a complaint about a service or product or purveyor's crappy service and they fix those problems right away, if we can have something like that work here, the BBB (which I assume is a very similar organism) might help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"