renter's rights?

sublet = sublease. there was no lease. he's just a roommate.

Sublet is to lease or rent...no lease required. Either way, it's not worth the trouble; he should just leave.

Sublet is to lease or rent...no lease required. Either way, it's not worth the trouble; he should just leave.

I agree. Sounds like they'll be worse off when he's gone since he'll take a bunch of utilities with him, and they probably won't be able to afford the rent.

You should also let the couple renting the other room in on what's happening. Because when the renter's lose the house, they'll be out on the street too. They should start looking for a place to live as well. Hell, if you get along with them, you could look for a place together and pool your resources.

Landlord and tenant commission or something, maybe check that on line or phone book.

unfortunately, going to the real landlord will do nothing, since the landlord is the wife's aunt. and as far as the other couple living there, well, they are also friends with the wife so really, it's just going to be everyone against me. but yes, the real landlord did know about me and the other room mates living there.

as far as the utilities go, i've shut off the t.v. service, and i've taken my t.v. boxes, my modem, and my router with me, since everything is in my name. i haven't called the internet company to shut off the internet yet, but i'm going to get on top of that. and if nothing else, since i've taken my modem and router, they don't have internet access.

i spoke with a lawyer today, and he told me that legally, i am entitled to the rent money back, the problem is, with no reciepts of the transaction, it will be their word against mine, and as the plaintiff, i have to provide the burden of proof. and another thing my brother told me is that i won't get a court date set for right away, and i'm going to be moving out of the state in january, so unfortunately, it's probably not worth my time.

until then, i'll hold on to my keys until the 31st, or until they give me my money back. since it's technically still my room, maybe i'll swing by for a visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"