World Question regarding the George Reeves series...

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
How well would you say it holds up today? Do you think a fan of more recent Superman lore, like myself, could enjoy the series?

I still find it enjoyable, but its in stark contrast to what you'd expect from Superman today. Offhand, the most superpowered villain he confronts is a robot. Most of the time, it's a bank robber, kidnapper, crooked businessman, etc. The characters ring true, especially for the time frame; Lois is constantly doing dumb **** to endanger herself to get a story, Jimmy is impetuous, but good-hearted, Clark is passive (while not being meek or bumbling) and Superman is ...well, Superman. Overall, the characterization is very much in the vein of Fleischer series, if you've some familiarity of that.

There aren't any epic battles, harrowing saves or grand power displays, but the basic elements are there. I enjoy the nostalgia; the 50's style fanfare and musical accompaniment, the sometimes visible wire work in flight, the 'run and jump' approach prior to takeoff, the simplicity of the villains and their schemes, the fact that Superman lands full-blown haymakers on people without shattering their faces :-)woot:).

It's Superman of a simpler time, but still recognizable. George Reeves is great in the role. I'd recommend it, but if you're thinking about picking up a DVD set or something, I'd scan YouTube for some clips/episodes first, especially if you're more inclined toward the modernized representations of the Man of Steel.

I wish episodes were on TV Land or something... instead of crap like The Cougar. I'm sorry, TV Land, I thought you were a respectable cable network.... clearly I was wrong.

I'm rewatching the series now. It was made during a simpler time, if todays youth can look past that it doesn't have modern FX or production values, they'll find some fun stories. It was primarily written for kids. The stories are simplistic but humorous.

It became a show written for kids, to be sure, but the first and second season specifically, were not kid stuff.

Sawyer, I would recommend watching Superman vs The Mole Men. While the FX are truly dated, the feel and tone of the adventure is pure Superman, and IMO should be a template for a reboot.

And the series is not completely devoid of super feats on a grand scale(well as grand as was possible for 50s TV). The 2nd season's "Superman in Exile" and "Panic in the Sky" include respectively, Superman averting a nuclear reactor disaster and a pending asteroid impact!

Now as to the flying, true enough the wires are often visible, but the sum of the parts; the sound FX/ music, in conjunction with the film FX, the three step bound into the air, and George Reeves' acting in close-up, add up to any CGI thrill to date....IMO.

Last edited:
the funny thing about those wires is that they weren't visible until television transmission and reception improved.

Oh well....

BTW, I think the first season episodes were pretty good. Less camp and more slam bang action. Yes, it was usually only gangsters but those were the times. If they were to do a serious attempt to reboot the franchise, I'd say this would be a good model. Just update the adversaries and the effects. I've always liked how George approached the role of Clark. Of course, my first preference is Dean Cain's but I'd like a healthy amount of George in there as well. NO BUMBLING Donner version please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"