• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

R.I.P. Gene Simmons

3 Dev Adam

I AM THE GREEN VENOM!
Reaction score
TUPELO, Miss. (AP) - Rockabilly singer and songwriter Jumpin' Gene Simmons, who worked with Elvis Presley and had a top 20 hit in 1964 with the bouncy "Haunted House," has died. He was 69.

He died Tuesday at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo after a long illness, according to Holland-Harris Funeral Directors.

Simmons - not to be confused with the Kiss bassist with the same name - was in show business for more than 50 years, working with such names as Sam Phillips and the Bill Black Combo. More recently, he co-wrote "Indian Outlaw," which became a big hit in 1994 for country superstar Tim McGraw.

But his biggest success came in 1964 with the novelty song "Haunted House," which reached No. 11 on the Billboard pop chart and launched Simmons on a world tour.

Among other early gigs, he performed as an opening act for Presley in Tupelo, Presley's birthplace and Simmons' longtime hometown, as Presley's career was taking off, said his son, Cary Simmons.

After appearing in some Memphis clubs, Simmons signed with Sun Records, the legendary Memphis label formed by Phillips that launched the careers of Presley, Johnny Cash and other stars.

While he didn't have the chart success of other Sun performers, Simmons' recordings have become known to later generations through reissues. Brian Setzer did a version of Simmons'"Peroxide Blonde in a Hopped Up Model Ford" on his "Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute to Sun Records."

Simmons, born in Itawamba County in 1937, spent most of his life in Northeast Mississippi although he lived for a time in Memphis. Besides his son, survivors include his mother, a sister, and two brothers.

My heart lept, then I saw the first sentence.

for a second, I thought it was the KISS guy, and I was filled with joy...then I saw it wasn't and I was deeply sadend that the no talent piece of crap from KISS is still alive

Woah. For a second I thought you were talking about KISS's Gene Simmons.

Tangled Web said:
Woah. For a second I thought you were talking about KISS's Gene Simmons.
Me too. I was like...Well,so much for that reality show of his.:o

Haha, I totally revoke my 'whoa'. Merge this crap with the Lounge. :o

Son of a *****! I went into a dizzy spell when I saw the thread title. You had me there for a minute! :p

:super: :batty:

New smilies! Cool!

Oh yeah, RIP, "Gene Simmons".... :p

Actually, it was THE Gene Simmons who died. Seriously.

Chaim Witz (birth name of KISS's Simmons) borrowed his stage name from Jumpin' Gene Simmons.

3 Dev Adam said:
Actually, it was THE Gene Simmons who died. Seriously.

Chaim Witz (birth name of KISS's Simmons) borrowed his stage name from Jumpin' Gene Simmons.
If there was a guy who was born in 2 BCE named Jesus, he still wouldn't be THE Jesus.

Your thread sucks, and by extension, so do you.

The Joker said:
for a second, I thought it was the KISS guy, and I was filled with joy...then I saw it wasn't and I was deeply sadend that the no talent piece of crap from KISS is still alive

Ah... you bring smiles and chuckles, Joker.

Spider-Man said:
If there was a guy who was born in 2 BCE named Jesus, he still wouldn't be THE Jesus.

Your thread sucks, and by extension, so do you.

Show some respect for Jumpin' Gene Simmons.

Have you actually READ his bio? He helped launch JOHNNY CASH!

3 Dev Adam said:
Show some respect for Jumpin' Gene Simmons. Have you actually READ his bio? He help launch JOHNNY CASH!
Johnny Cash is dead, man.

Spider-Man said:
Johnny Cash is dead, man.

And now Jumpin' Gene Simmons is also dead. That's equally sad, you insensitive person.

3 Dev Adam said:
And now Jumpin' Gene Simmons is also dead. That's equally sad, you insensitive person.
My day isn't affected in the slightest... other than it made me discover you... which I could've done without. Poor me. :csad:

Woah. For a second, I thought this was about Richard Simmons. :dry:

Someone change the thread title to include: NOT KISS GENE. Because I am pretty sure everyone who is looking at the front page just took a collective piss in their pants.

Well, as a rockabilly fan, MY day was ruined.

Insensitive bastich.

ShadowBoxing said:
Someone change the thread title to include: NOT KISS GENE. Because I am pretty sure everyone who is looking at the front page just took a collective piss in their pants.

That would ruin everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"