Rachel Getting Married (Anne Hathaway)

Dark Donnie

Kenny Powers is Back!
Reaction score
Director(s): Jonathan Demme

Starring:Anne Hathaway, Bill Irwin, Rosemarie DeWitt, Debra Winger, Anna Deavere Smith, Tunde

Synopsis:

"Rachel Getting Married" is a contemporary "drama with an aggressive sense of humor" about the return of an estranged daughter to the family home for her sister's wedding. Kym's (Hathaway) reemergence throws a wrench into the family dynamics, forcing long-simmering tensions to surface in ways both hilarious and heartbreaking. "Rachel Getting Married" paints a colorful, nuanced family portrait and is filled with the rich characters that have always been a hallmark of Jonathan Demme's films.

Trailer

I saw the trailer for this awhile ago. It looked funny in some parts.

But this is a movie where alot of people can relate to the Anne Character. About the family isssues.

Looks quite good. Anne looks like she's amazing as ever in it. :up:

I'll give it a rent or watch it when it hits the premium channels.

This looks like the Tim Burton version of Dan in Real Life. Not that that's a bad thing. :up:

Looks a bit depressing but a very strong role for Anne Hathaway.

20j3ioy.jpg

The chaotic swirl of pandemonium that surrounds the average wedding ceremony has long been a popular focal point in cinema. It’s a durable scenario, one that has been played for laughs in romantic comedies ranging all the way back to Hollywood’s Golden age. From Katharine Hepburn’s flighty serial bride in The Philadelphia Story, to Steve Martin’s flustered Father of the Bride, leading into the recent spate of “Wed-coms” (27 Dresses, Made Of Honor, The Wedding Date), audiences have regaled in watching fictional people panic in the face of lifelong commitments.

But, as we all know, real life typically paints a much more intense portrait of nuptial ceremonies, where train-wrecks in the form of last minute scheduling disasters and soused speech-makers can lead to misery for the organizers and awkward amusement for the guests. Screenwriter Jenny Lumet (daughter of legendary director Sidney Lumet), has obviously experienced her fair share of wedding D-days, and has compiled and moulded these memories into Rachel Getting Married, a searing debut film that should earn lead Anne Hathaway an Oscar nomination.

Hathaway plays Kym Buchman, a despondent former model and recovering drug-addict, who leaves the supportive confines of rehab to take part in her older sister Rachel’s wedding party. Nevertheless, things do not go smoothly for the venom-tongued out-patient, as her manipulative tendencies and emotional neediness only add to the tumultuousness of the impending proceedings. Through his voyeuristic lens, director Jonathan Demme (Silence of the Lambs, Philadelphia) tracks the family’s dramatic journey, from rehearsals to reception, delving deeply into both our heroine’s shattered psyche, as well as the secrets which dwell within the dark shadows of the Buchman clan’s troubled past.

One of Rachel Getting Married’s most striking feats is in how Demme and cinematographer Declan Quinn have blurred the line between fictional and documentary film-making. The movie has a surprisingly life-like quality, where intimate hand-held footage creates the illusion that we the audience are actually experiencing the on-screen events first hand. This effect, which feels fresh and original, forces us to invest ourselves in the characters’ emotional highs and lows, and builds uncomfortable scenes, such as Kym’s inappropriate rehearsal toast, into seat-squirming triumphs. However, what really sells Demme’s method-of-madness is the naturalistic performances he’s drawn from his mostly unknown cast of character actors.

Much attention has deservedly been heaped on Hathaway, whose wounded doll eyes, pale complexion and rather gaunt figure form a vivid physical representation of abuse. Kym isn’t just a wounded pariah; she’s often vicious and hurtful, desperate to make others feel her own twisted sense of internal struggle. Watching her sad attempts to drag attention away from Rachel (Rosemarie DeWitt, a perfect foil who simmers with barely suppressed frustration), or engaging in a wrenching squabble with her emotionally withdrawn mother (Debra Winger, set for a comeback), Hathaway vanishes into the bruised skin of her character.

Almost equally as brilliant is Bill Irwin, as the conflicted Buchman patriarch, Paul. Irwin, best-known, it would seem, for playing Mr. Noodles on Sesame Street, is exceptional as a father struggling to stay on equal footing with his often irrational daughters. He’s funny in little moments, such as in a giddy reaction to a surprise announcement, and remarkably compelling when he has to reveal the buried emotional truths of his character. If justice of any kind exists in Hollywood, Irwin won’t be overlooked when awards season rolls around, as he is the film’s greatest discovery.

Also worth mentioning is Mather Zickel, as best man Kieran, a fellow recovery case, who has made peace with his demons and acts as a source of support for the near-fracturing family. He’s a warm presence who understands Kym’s torment, and the two have a very interesting relationship that is entirely free of false moments.

If Rachel Getting Married has a flaw, it’s that Demme’s persistent quest for realism slightly drags down the last quarter of the picture. Wedding receptions aren’t particularly entertaining to attend in real life, much less in docu-drama style, where we can see only so many scenes of anonymous people dancing and socializing before fatigue sets in. It’s a testimony to the filmmakers’ vision that the characters are so three dimensional and absorbing that we can’t stand being taken away from them for too long, and these sections occasionally do just that.

With that minor quibble aside, it’s hard to find many flaws on display here. Demme and Lumet have managed to re-explore the tired themes of suburban dysfunction in a way that is poignant, funny, frank and, ultimately, pretty moving. From the point of view of someone who has been bored witless by his fair share of on-screen and off-screen weddings, Rachel Getting Married is well worth a speedy RSVP.

I watched the first half an hour of this last night, I'll be watching the rest tonight. From what I saw, I thought Hathaway was phenomenal.

I saw it tonight, Anne Hathaway does indeed give a performance worthy of the plaudits she has received, she is very raw and real as a 9 months clean drug addict fresh out of rehab for her Sisters wedding.

Her character Kym is the life blood of the movie and the film sags when she is not verbally involved. Demme does a good job expanding on the initial themes of the dysfunctional family and "Daddy loved you more" jealousy issues of Kym's older sister, he spins it out to connect all the central relationships of Kym's family and the why's of how they are.

I liked that it didn't really try to paint anyone as overly sympathetic or unlikable, these are simply people and very like people we all know or have known in one fashion or another, in fact at times they are so real it almost feels like a fly on the wall documentary.

The film however is overlong and includes some pointless scenes as well as having one excruciatingly long scene that consists of speeches at the rehearsal dinner, I found my interest wandering throughout this and the overblown musical sequence at the wedding.

Demme does a wonderful job of showing the isolation of Kym, despite being with people who love her she feels as if she is not in their world and somehow is looking in on them through a window, one tracking shot in particular of her walking around her family home as if she is a stranger is a beautifully sad scene.

I also applaud Demme for leaving the race issue out of the movie.

This is Hathaway's show though as she strips away any trace of Hollywood glamour without the need to go to the lengths of ugliness that Theron etc went to, if she wins the Academy award (I doubt she will) she will be truly deserving, she serves up no pity for Kym and in fact plays Kym as at times selfish as people who are struggling often need to be. She also shows the inner contempt that many who deal with guilt go through, in some wonderfully powerful and achingly painful scenes where she lays herself bare, and it feels once again like you are looking in on real people.

7.8/10

I saw it tonight, Anne Hathaway does indeed give a performance worthy of the plaudits she has received, she is very raw and real as a 9 months clean drug addict fresh out of rehab for her Sisters wedding.

Her character Kym is the life blood of the movie and the film sags when she is not verbally involved. Demme does a good job expanding on the initial themes of the dysfunctional family and "Daddy loved you more" jealousy issues of Kym's older sister, he spins it out to connect all the central relationships of Kym's family and the why's of how they are.

I liked that it didn't really try to paint anyone as overly sympathetic or unlikable, these are simply people and very like people we all know or have known in one fashion or another, in fact at times they are so real it almost feels like a fly on the wall documentary.

The film however is overlong and includes some pointless scenes as well as having one excruciatingly long scene that consists of speeches at the rehearsal dinner, I found my interest wandering throughout this and the overblown musical sequence at the wedding.

Demme does a wonderful job of showing the isolation of Kym, despite being with people who love her she feels as if she is not in their world and somehow is looking in on them through a window, one tracking shot in particular of her walking around her family home as if she is a stranger is a beautifully sad scene.

I also applaud Demme for leaving the race issue out of the movie.

This is Hathaway's show though as she strips away any trace of Hollywood glamour without the need to go to the lengths of ugliness that Theron etc went to, if she wins the Academy award (I doubt she will) she will be truly deserving, she serves up no pity for Kym and in fact plays Kym as at times selfish as people who are struggling often need to be. She also shows the inner contempt that many who deal with guilt go through, in some wonderfully powerful and achingly painful scenes where she lays herself bare, and it feels once again like you are looking in on real people.

7.8/10

I totally disagree with you about the rehearsal toast stuff! That scene was one of the most stunning in the film. Alternately though, I agree that the wedding rehearsal music/dancing stuff got pretty old...

I totally disagree with you about the rehearsal toast stuff! That scene was one of the most stunning in the film. Alternately though, I agree that the wedding rehearsal music/dancing stuff got pretty old...

Each to their own, I didn't have a problem with some of the content of the scene, in fact some of it was very good, but i felt the fat could have been trimmed, it sagged IMO.

Each to their own, I didn't have a problem with some of the content of the scene, in fact some of it was very good, but i felt the fat could have been trimmed, it sagged IMO.

For me that felt like the point. The artifice of the filmmaking falls away and we are simply left with a family of real human beings caught up in a genuinely human moment. Cutting it or speeding it along would've erased that effect.

For me that felt like the point. The artifice of the filmmaking falls away and we are simply left with a family of real human beings caught up in a genuinely human moment. Cutting it or speeding it along would've erased that effect.

I wasn't caught up though, I was bored, to me it was an example of trying something that didn't work, it was where the editor needed to say "lets remember this is a film still", it worked for you, cool, for me it felt like a misstep.

Btw what do you think Hathaway's chances at the Oscar's are ?

I wasn't caught up though, I was bored, to me it was an example of trying something that didn't work, it was where the editor needed to say "lets remember this is a film still", it worked for you, cool, for me it felt like a misstep.

Btw what do you think Hathaway's chances at the Oscar's are ?

Pre-Golden Globes? Very, very good.

But then Hurricane Kate hit. With the unbearable slice of pap The Reader getting an Oscar nod, and Winslet earning her sixth nomination, I'm pretty sure she's a sure thing. She's campaigning like hell, and the Academy loves her and wants to award her for her stellar career. As much as it pains me to see her win for that performance, I think its pretty much a sure thing...

Pre-Golden Globes? Very, very good.

But then Hurricane Kate hit. With the unbearable slice of pap The Reader getting an Oscar nod, and Winslet earning her sixth nomination, I'm pretty sure she's a sure thing. She's campaigning like hell, and the Academy loves her and wants to award her for her stellar career. As much as it pains me to see her win for that performance, I think its pretty much a sure thing...

I thought 'The Reader' was an average flick with some qualities that was trying very hard to be "worthy" however I did think Winslet was superb in it, of course I'd also say she was better in 'Revolutionary Road' but I guess she had to ride the Weinstein train. Anne probabaly just edges it for me but as you say, it's all winslet all the time right now, yet Rourke is also cleaning up and yet I feel he will lose to Penn on Oscar night, so maybe there is some hope for Anne.

I thought 'The Reader' was an average flick with some qualities that was trying very hard to be "worthy" however I did think Winslet was superb in it, of course I'd also say she was better in 'Revolutionary Road' but I guess she had to ride the Weinstein train. Anne probabaly just edges it for me but as you say, it's all winslet all the time right now, yet Rourke is also cleaning up and yet I feel he will lose to Penn on Oscar night, so maybe there is some hope for Anne.

I agree with you on Penn winning. It hurts me to say, but it seems likely...

Now I didn't care for The Reader or Revolutionary Road, but would probably give Winslet the edge performance wise with the former. Compare her performance in Revolutionary Road to Little Children and seems uninspired and bland.

However, despite the inevitable, I'm boosting for Hathaway above the rest. Her performance stunned me with its acidic quality, and became the perfect merging of actor and character. It goes on the shortlist with Rourke's Wrestler performance and Billy Bob Thornton in A Simple Plan.

Great film. Ann gives a suprisingly great performance. My fav female lead performance of the year. Dewitt is also incredible.

I agree with you on Penn winning. It hurts me to say, but it seems likely...

Now I didn't care for The Reader or Revolutionary Road, but would probably give Winslet the edge performance wise with the former. Compare her performance in Revolutionary Road to Little Children and seems uninspired and bland.

However, despite the inevitable, I'm boosting for Hathaway above the rest. Her performance stunned me with its acidic quality, and became the perfect merging of actor and character. It goes on the shortlist with Rourke's Wrestler performance and Billy Bob Thornton in A Simple Plan.

I want Rourke to win more than anyone else at this years show, but I just have this feeling he will get done.

I have not seen 'Little Children' so I will check it out before making a comment on that.

I agree with you, what I liked is that I didn't see either Hathaway or Rourke, I saw Kym and Randy, I never felt like I was watching acting so much as I was watching people.

Okay, I saw the film in its entirety today. As someone who has lived with addicts, and people who have gone back and forth from rehab, I felt like this movie could have been about my family, with some differences of course, it is brutally honest, which I enjoyed very much. From personal experience I can sympathize with Kym's family, and the way the act around her, or react to her. I can also relate to Kym (to a lesser extent) as she feels like a stranger in her own family. From the moment Hathaway opens her mouth, I ceased to see Anne, and only saw Kym.

Some scenes that I found especially powerful were Kym and her Mother, as well as the scene where Rachel helps Kym bathe after she crashes the car, and the dish washer scene when Kym hands her father a new stack of plates, and he finds Ethan's, I wanted to cry.

The fact that this was an interracial wedding, and there's no plot about the race made me smile, thank you Demme :).

I really felt like I was watching a documentary more so than a film. The acting was superb, Hathaway is beyond question deserving of the nomination, and as it stands now, the win IMO. I also feel that Dewitt's performance, while overshadowed by Anne's was amazing, and deserving of recognition, and believe she was every bit as good as a few of the actresses nominated in the supporting category.

Overall 8.5/10 for me.

It really pains me that Bill Irwin hasn't been really recognized for his work here either. He was absolutely phenomenal.

I saw this last night. It was FANTASTIC. I loved it. It reminded me of a Dogma movie--but better. Much, much better. I read that a lot of the dialogue was improv; perhaps that's why it seemed so natural and real to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"