Random Quotes About Movies

"I'm not interested in a realistic look - not at all, not ever. Every film should look the way I feel." - Martin Scorsese
:up:
On a related note, I rewatched Cape Fear again the other day and I loved it even more than before (I'm also a big fan of the original film of course.)
And I had forgotten how "not realistic" Scorsese's remake was.
It's very stylized, bordering a lot of times on the surreal, almost like in a dream or a nightmare actually.
In a way, it kinda feels closer to another Mitchum Masterpiece: "The Night of the Hunter", than it does to the original "Cape Fear."
Awesome, underrated movie and very different than any of his other films.

Your quote also reminded me of another one:

"Real is good. Interesting is better."
-Stanley Kubrick

"When I saw Texas Chain Saw Massacre, I realized: I don’t want to be a director, I don’t want to be a writer, I don’t want to be a producer, I don’t want to be a photographer, I don’t want to be an editor, I don’t want to be a sound man. I want to be all of them at once. And that film proved that you can do it because that movie is not a normal movie.”

Nicholas Winding Refn

"He'll frighten the life out of you. He did me the first time I saw him, because we did a rehearsal on the first day and we hadn't met or anything.
He had to come up in an elevator to our home, Batman's home.
I'm thinking I'm letting friends in, instead of which he's killed them all and he's coming up in the lift. So on the first rehearsal, I've never seen him.
When the bloody door opened on that lift, he came tearing out. I forgot every line. Terrifying.”

-Michael Caine on Heath Ledger

You look at what Christopher Nolan did with Batman, it's like, that's like the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill and a kind of commerciality, sort of appeal to a wide range of people... It's amazing what he did with those films. Kinda unparallelled, actually.

-Paul Thomas Anderson

You look at what Christopher Nolan did with Batman, it's like, that's like the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill and a kind of commerciality, sort of appeal to a wide range of people... It's amazing what he did with those films. Kinda unparallelled, actually.

-Paul Thomas Anderson
:up::cool:

'I started at the top and worked down' - Orson Welles

'Movie directing is the perfect refuge for the mediocre' - Orson Welles

"[My]...films are all about emotion. That's the most important thing to remember." - Jon Favreau

'I don’t hang around pool halls. I don’t play poker. And I don’t go to sporting events. To me, torture would be watching sports on television. If I go to Dodger Stadium, that’s ok, because the game is secondary to the beer and the environment. One thing I don’t understand is that average American movie-goers cannot watch a movie for three hours, yet they’ll watch a stupid, boring, horrific football game for four hours. Now, that is boredom at its most colossal.' - Quentin Tarantino

'I don’t hang around pool halls. I don’t play poker. And I don’t go to sporting events. To me, torture would be watching sports on television. If I go to Dodger Stadium, that’s ok, because the game is secondary to the beer and the environment. One thing I don’t understand is that average American movie-goers cannot watch a movie for three hours, yet they’ll watch a stupid, boring, horrific football game for four hours. Now, that is boredom at its most colossal.' - Quentin Tarantino

Although I'm a football fan, I have to agree with this.

Although I'm a basketball and soccer fan, I also have to agree with that:woot:

I'm not a sports fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he kind of countered his own point. Or answered his own question, if he asked one in there somewhere. The reason people can sit through a four hour football game and not a three hour movie is the exact same reason reason Tarantino would be comfortable drinking beer at Dodger Stadium; atmosphere. When people watch a game on TV they usually have a few buddies around, share the experience, hoot and holler and drink and talk during the breaks. When you watch a movie with buddies you sit quietly and absorb the film and talk afterwards.

There are exceptions to both scenarios of course, but in general it's the immediate atmosphere that makes all the difference.

"Our characters had to go under cover, so we grew big beards. And I'm not talking about a Hollywood, groomed-to-look-cool beards. Oh no. We fitted right in with all the junkies in the dodgy parts of Vancouver."

-Sharlto Copley (speaking about his and his right-hand man look for the upcoming Elysium.")

"We should have been allowed to have our ***** out in the theater. I will tell you why. Because when Hulk beats the **** out of Loki, that's a full on d***-out moment."

-Brian Posehn

"I don't understand why these Americans have to suffer so much to identify with their characters. Me, I just get up there and act. It's great fun. There's no suffering in it."
-Marcello Mastroianni

"A film is, or should be, more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later."

- Stanley Kubrick

"Life is very, very complicated, and so films should be allowed to be, too."

- David Lynch

^:up:

"It's like a girl. I never look at her but she knows I'm there for her. It's all for her, I just never acknowledge her. I'm not ignoring her but I'm keeping her interested by not looking at her."

-Terence Stamp (on his relationship with the camera)

''Like all art forms, film is a media as powerful as weapons of mass destruction; the only difference is that war destroys and film inspires.'' - Nicolas Winding Refn

''Like all art forms, film is a media as powerful as weapons of mass destruction; the only difference is that war destroys and film inspires.'' - Nicolas Winding Refn
Good one, even though ironically war has inspired some really good films.

It's only a movie, and, after all, we're all grossly overpaid - Alfred Hitchcock

"I've always been interested in films where you can identify with the actors. Where you can be in their shoes and therefore be more involved if they're people that you recognize."

- Adrian Lyne

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"