Comics Re-Masking after Un-Masking.

B

ben_reilly_s_s

Ok, First off, I love the Ben Reilly Saga.
Second, I loke that Pete finally un-masked.

Now, this os for all of you who want the mask back on, and Pete ID a secret again.

So, you want Pete to have a secret ID again, try this:

Pete gets sick of all the attention and constant hounding.
His family begs him to stop being Spider-Man.
Pete and his family are constantly attacked, and are sick of it.
So, with the help of a former villian / villian, they decide to stage both their deaths.
Very openly, very publicly.
Pete MJ and May move away.
Pete dyes his hair, and changes his name.
He also dons an old costume.
He becomes the Scarlet Spider once again.
- do not yell at me - while Ben was in jail, Pete used it to trick everyone that knew he was Spidey into thinkin he was still in jail.

So there is your Secret ID back.
Happy?

While I did enjoy the stories that Ben was written in, and I liked his character, bringing him back in any form will doom him to the same fate as Peter is going through right now, which is in my opinion, shoddy writing. As fun as bringing him back would be (loved the dynamic of Peter having something of a sibling for a while), it'd more than likely end up sinking bad. For me, some of the ways Ben was written is how Peter should be written now.

Though, to have him dawn the form of Ben would be intriguing for a while. My question is, how and when would he ever go back to being Peter, by the universe standard, not writing, since anyone would picks up the pencil can simply turn the tables. Would he return to New York to fight, or go to another large city? Where would Aunt May and MJ go, or would they just stay locked up in the Avenger's Tower? I'm not trying to denounce the idea, but I'm just curious if it was pursued.

ben_reilly_s_s said:

Now, this os for all of you who want the mask back on, and Pete ID a secret again.

So, with the help of a former villian / villian, they decide to stage both their deaths.
- do not yell at me - while Ben was in jail, Pete used it to trick everyone that knew he was Spidey into thinkin he was still in jail.

Happy?

I'd take that over what we got now, it's still f-cking lame, but I'd take it.

ben_reilly_s_s said:

and what, all the books change their titles to Scarlet Spider? I'm guessing MJ will be dead by the end of Civil War.

Hey aren't the effects/aftermath of House of M still present in the Marvel Universe???

Maybe they can work somethin' using an House of M angle, returning the Marvel Universe back prior to the events of House of M including Spidey's identity.

That'd be a simple way of doing it while also returning many other characters back to status quo.

Spiderman's "unmasking" is perhaps the final nail in a coffin of ignorant writers who have disgraced the Spiderman legacy for the past 15 years. We've had the unconvincing clone story (and a change in costume and identity); then the disjointed story about his lost child "Mae" (and another change in costume); also the divorce of MJ (another costume/identity change) and on and on. It ultimately led to Marvel having to scrap his entire universe and start over because the writers had written themselves into a mess they couldn't get out of.
Now we're already back to the world of the ludicrous. Does Marvel have no ideas other than to change costumes and identities? Do these writers honestly believe their bringing fresh ideas to the table? With the unending stories about identity crisis and change in costumes I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps the writers are thinking of changing Spiderman's sexual orientation and just having him shop for a new outfit each issue. These people couldn't conjure up an original idea, if it rolled over them. To even call them writers is an insult. Stan Lee on his worst day could devour these amatuers.:down Disgraceful!

ben_reilly_s_s said:
Unmasking isnt original?

If that's supposed to be a question rather than a statement, the answer is: not really, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko did it way back in Amazing Spider-Man #12:

asm012.jpg

Plus it's happened LOTS OF TIMES, as I've satirized here:

http://www.superherohype.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9120936&postcount=59

EXACTLY. Why are they revisiting tired concepts? The issue you have on display is over 30 years old. Are you suggesting the founding fathers of Spiderman were borrowing old ideas at that point? Give me a break. The end result is the same. Whatever they do with this supposed "unmasking" will conclude with a reversal or redefined explanation of said event and Spiderman's identity will be returned to the shadows where it started. What's the point?

I say we fix it with a Spidey/Hand team-up.

Spidey goes around and kills off the entire world.

Then The Hand can resurrect everybody and implant them with their memories from before Peter revealed his identity!

Hey, it worked with Ock! Why not the whole world?

Webhead38 said:
EXACTLY. Why are they revisiting tired concepts? The issue you have on display is over 30 years old. Are you suggesting the founding fathers of Spiderman were borrowing old ideas at that point? Give me a break. The end result is the same. Whatever they do with this supposed "unmasking" will conclude with a reversal or redefined explanation of said event and Spiderman's identity will be returned to the shadows where it started. What's the point?

Simple: they know it's a potential sales spike in terms of $$$$$$$

Plus, you KNOW that it's going to take some cosmic/magical event to mindwipe the knowledge out of everyone's mind. DC made a similar move with the Flash and about 2 years later they realized they made a mistake and tried to retcon it away. And considering how Peter Parker having a secret identity as Spider-Man is ESSENTIAL to the character and what made him attractive in the first place, it's bound to happen (especially since the thrid Spider-Man movie is coming out) and it will be seen as a cop-out on Marvel's part.

^^^lol^^^

Never looked at it like that.

A small group of people with more power than they can handle, decide to make a move that, in their mind, will bring them great ratings and lots of positive attention. Their plan blows up in their face, and in doing so, hundreds of would-be fans are caught in the crossfire.

New Warriors? or JQ and crew?

imdaly said:
I say we fix it with a Spidey/Hand team-up.

Spidey goes around and kills off the entire world.

Then The Hand can resurrect everybody and implant them with their memories from before Peter revealed his identity!

Hey, it worked with Ock! Why not the whole world?

That is a great idea, is there another super we could involve to make it so they could move faster though? It is going to take them a while to get to everyone in the world

stillanerd said:
Simple: they know it's a potential sales spike in terms of $$$$$$$

Plus, you KNOW that it's going to take some cosmic/magical event to mindwipe the knowledge out of everyone's mind. DC made a similar move with the Flash and about 2 years later they realized they made a mistake and tried to retcon it away. And considering how Peter Parker having a secret identity as Spider-Man is ESSENTIAL to the character and what made him attractive in the first place, it's bound to happen (especially since the thrid Spider-Man movie is coming out) and it will be seen as a cop-out on Marvel's part.

They're going to have to use Reed/Sentry's megamind wiper thingie.... :rolleyes: :(

They'll just use Wanda. She's become the Ultimate retcon device. A snap of her fingers and everything changes. Whatever Marvel doesn't like, they can just use chaos magic.

Spidey's identity has been revealed, in what I feel is the stupidest move in comic book history. Now, fans are left wondering "How in the HELL is Marvel going to make this work?" I think I've come up with a semi-solution (or potential solution).

Spider-Man: BORN AGAIN.

Yes, that is the title of the CLASSIC Daredevil story, where his identity was revealed to his greatest foe. And what happened to Murdock? He disappeared. Nobody knew where he was. He was REBORN.

Spidey's enemies know his true identity. Osborn, Kingpin, hell, even the return of Eddie Brock/Venom (we know it's going to happen for the 2007 movie!)...these villians can do SOMETHING do Parker. I think it could be time for some brilliant story telling. Whatever the story may be, I think that Spider-Man needs to "die" and be "reborn."

He needs to be BORN AGAIN.

This, I feel, may be the only way to save our favorite hero. I can only hope that whatever Marvel does, they pull it off.

Another option (though a much more drastic one): Push the REBOOT button. DC did it in 1986, and that turned out pretty damn well, in my opinion.

Webhead38 said:

They're are revisiting it because they are going to make Peter Parker like Bruce Banner or Ben Reilly, traveling the world as an outlaw,

Because they can't write Spider-Man. Now they'll just add Hulk plot and stir.

Hacks.......

Idio said:
They'll just use Wanda. She's become the Ultimate retcon device. A snap of her fingers and everything changes. Whatever Marvel doesn't like, they can just use chaos magic.

Even though that is a really lame solution, it really wouldn't bother me.

compi716 said:
Another option (though a much more drastic one): Push the REBOOT button. DC did it in 1986, and that turned out pretty damn well, in my opinion.
Wouldn't that be the Ultimate universe? I mean maybe after this one goes crazy beyond repair Marvel will just make the Ultimate universe the main one?

It think at this point, I'd rather Marvel just do a reboot or pass the torch of Spider-man to someone else.

It'll be cheesy as f-ck if Scarlet Witch or Dr.Strange came in and saved the day with magic.

ben_reilly_s_s said:

Happy?

So, Peter's getting attacked by all his villians all the time, but he can make a deal with one to stage his death?
Do MJ and May dye their hair and change names too, isn't MJ a mid level celebrity right now, well I'm sure the villian could stage her death too.
In the end we get the Scarlett Spider again, only this time it's (not) Peter, so he isn't Spidey, he can't be Peter Parker anymore, so we've lost our hero to someone else for all intents and purpose.
Let's bring in some clones just for old times sake.

amazingfantasy15 said:
So, Peter's getting attacked by all his villians all the time, but he can make a deal with one to stage his death?
Do MJ and May dye their hair and change names too, isn't MJ a mid level celebrity right now, well I'm sure the villian could stage her death too.
In the end we get the Scarlett Spider again, only this time it's (not) Peter, so he isn't Spidey, he can't be Peter Parker anymore, so we've lost our hero to someone else for all intents and purpose.
Let's bring in some clones just for old times sake.

Yeah let's send in the Clones..

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"