Ready or Not

This looks interesting. Weird premise but interesting delivery.
It looks good in a humorous suspenseful kind of way.

Looks fun. Don’t know much about the directors so I hope they’ve done a good job.

I had no idea this took place in present day until that dude took his phone out to watch the video.

Wish I could play this with my extended family.....

Looks like it would play well with You're Next.

Last edited:
*ten seconds into the trailer*

What's up with Margot Robbie here? They give her fake teeth or something?

*thirty seconds later*

That's-- that's not Margot Robbie.... I think.

*five seconds after trailer ends*

You know what, I'm gonna Google just to be sure.

Samara Weaving is so much more than "a poor man's Margot Robbie." She has tons of on-screen charisma. I've seen her in The Babysitter and Mayhem, and in both films (with bigger stars than her in it) she is always doing something more interesting to watch than whatever the person actually being focused on is doing. I'd chalk this up to me just thinking she's hot...but my girlfriend actually mentioned this to me during Mayhem. But...yeah...I wonder if her looking a bit like a more famous actress could hurt her career (fun fact: she's the niece of Hugo Weaving).

Yeah, this came across my twitter feed this morning. Looks bonkers.

Giving off major You're Next vibes.

Looking forward to it.

Considering it's got Samara Weaving, it's like You're Next meets Mayhem with The Most Dangerous Game.

Caught the trailer in front of Annabelle last night. Looks interesting.

I'm usually not into horror comedies, but this looks just right. Looking forward to it.

:up:

Local arthouse theater has a midnight madness screening lined up for this film at the end of August. Should play well with that crowd.

Reviews are starting to trickle out. The reaction seems to be quite positive at the moment.

August flicks are really doing it this year.

Watched this last night, a solid fun flick that's pretty much exactly what the trailer sold.

Calling it a "horror" movie would be overstating it, it was more of a slasher-comedy (with multiple "slashers", naturally) than anything else, with just a tiny bit of meta-satire thrown into it.

It was very entertaining and mood-setting, overall very well-made—but I ended up relatively disappointed by it. It didn't take as much advantage of the R rating as I was hoping it would (which was more from the language than the violence, and didn't have as much "blood & gore" as I was expecting this to have), and the pacing was a bit too fast. Things just kinda flew by—and for a movie called "Ready or Not" based on playing the game "Hide & Seek", it definitely lacked that element of the characters actually playing "Hide & Seek". The lead actress barely stayed hidden, and the family characters weren't really shown creeping around the house actively trying to track her down. Definitely could've been more suspenseful than it was, IMO—it definitely would've benefitted from a slightly longer running time with longer takes and a slower pace.

Definitely the kind of movie you want to watch with the biggest crowd possible. My theater ate it up and laughed at the violence and a handful of the one-liners that were genuinely hilarious. And it was a lot of fun for sure. But IMO it could've been even better if the filmmakers had just went all-out on the violence for the R rating and slowed down the pacing to make it more suspenseful.

I also liked how at the end it just went for a
supernatural element
too. That was unexpected and totally awesome. More stuff like that could've propelled this movie to instant cult status.

This movie was a lot better than I expected. Lots of blood and gore, lots of super-tense thriller still pacing, and some pretty cool serious dramatic moments where the cast gets to do some good acting, and a few surprises. I have to admit I didn't know how they were going to end the film until it started to get to the end

and the twist happens when the husband turns on the wife after watching her bash his mother's brains in. The devil worshipper angle was tough to sort through because I knew if the husband was going to be a good guy all throughout, then he would be in a kill or be killed situation, and would have to turn against his wife or die by her side

so that was a refreshing twist that made the film even more enjoyable. Usually you can tell how horror films will wind up but this was a mystery until the final 5 minutes or so, and that was huge in my book.

This wasn't perfect however, not even close. There were some noticeable moments of lag in the middle where they seemed to be running out of plot and had trouble making the proceedings interesting. About 20-30 mins in the center of the film, the protagonist is just going through the same old mundane story beats that neither built her character or anyone else's. It was kind of like..."Well, we have to do some more of this Hide and Seek stuff, so on with it then..." Still other than that, it was a great premise executed well, good directing and solid A+ performances. You can tell the cast really had a lot of fun and it comes out in the product.

7.5/10

c5184dc9742a0b8a1c67f4d5764ee150750acc48.gifv

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Samara Weaving's performance really carried it throughout, and it's very entertaining for the most part. Some of the violence/gore was pretty damn effective too. That bit with the hand was particularly nasty IMO. It kind of felt like it ran out of steam towards the end though.

7/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"