Smallville Reflecting on the Continuing Influence of Smallville

The Incredible Hulk

Bad Hombre
Reaction score
Great read:

http://www.tvovermind.com/tv-news/reflecting-continuing-influence-smallville-244032

It seems bizarre to me that Smallville season 1 premiered in 2001, thirteen years ago right when America needed a hero the most. Why is that strange? Because only now, in these past two years or so, we’re seeing a million other Smallville’s spring up everywhere, and become some of the best shows on TV.

Well, not a million, perhaps, but Arrow and The Flash certainly draw their DNA from Smallville, and I’m not sure shows like Gotham and Agents of SHIELD would exist without it either. And yet, Smallville was one of the ONLY superhero shows on TV for the decade it was on, other than a few exceptions like Heroes.

It’s really interesting to see how the show laid the groundwork for today’s flurry of superhero shows, and how little Arrow and The Flash have really deviated from a formula that worked over ten years ago, and apparently still works today.

To me, the show worked on a basic level because of the cast, and the chemistry between the larger group. And honestly, for as good as shows like Arrow and The Flash are, that’s something I still haven’t seen fully repeated to this point.

I still watch the reruns on TNT when I get ready in the morning.

I disagree, but I still have an appreciation for the series. It, along with S:TAS, is what made me fall in love Superman in the first place. It was terribly written a lot of the time, but when it was good, it was really damn good, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"