Relegation/Promotion or franchise/minor league?

Iceburgeruk

Civilian
Reaction score
I have always been mystified by the american system in sports where relegation and promotion do not exist. To me relegation and promotion are the checks and balances which keep teams on their toes.

If you are a low division team you know that there is a chnace that if you are really good you could win your way into higher divisions and accolades. For instance the 2007 FA Cup saw the main teams losing out and unexpectedly successful Barnsley team getting fairly close to taking the cup.

If you are a top team you have to stay at peak performance not just because you might not win the competitions but because you might fall from the top division altogether, as happened to Leeds United recently.

With the american system though (and correct me if i`m wrong and there is some obscure rule i am not aware of) that fairness doesn`t exist. A minor league team could ahve the best team in the history of time but they still won`t win the superbowl. A top team meanwhile could if they wanted field a team of warthogs and geese and still stay in the upper echelons.

It just doesn`t seem sensible to me. Surely a team should be the best by default they should be the best by achievement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"