• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Remembering Bob Kane's birthday !!!!!!

droogiedroogie2 said:
Nobody better get on my case for comparing Doc's post to blaming rape victims and justifying dictatorships. MiracloFiend started it.

Anyway, I know that mass murder is worse. That's not the point. Just because there are different levels of wrongitude, doesn't mean that smaller sins can't still be horrible.

Dude, all was doing was giving it a historical context. It was a long ass time ago. The norms of the time were different. Alot of people went uncredited and unappreciated, not just Finger.

sto_vo_kor_2000 said:
I have been there and I'm going to the toy show there in Decrmber but I do most of my book shoping at all Heros Comics on Lake ave near Latta rd.The shop owner is great and holds my stuff for over a month sometimes.

The guy at the Yankee Peddler (also at Village Gate) is always selling tons of comics real cheap. Check out some of the boxes, if you havn't already, just be aware that I've already gotten all the good stuff. :oldrazz:

Droogie, I'm not going to go around with you. I have my opinion, and you have yours. Needless to say, I consider you one of the "nuts" who take this Finger business too far. And since you're unreasonable in your belief that Bob Kane was the devil himself, I can't have a reasonable conversation with you.

DocLathropBrown said:
I don't buy that stuff. It's more coincidence than anything else, I think.

[rant] Anyway, yes, Finger deserves equal credit, but NOT as much as some people try to give him. Not to mention the fact that he let himself get ripped off. If you let yourself get ripped off, you kind of deserve what you get, anyway.

The problem with the "Finger fanatics" is that they try to take away credit from Bob. News flash: Finger is NOT the "true" creator of Batman. Bob Kane invented Batman and Finger made revisions. Key revisions? Hell yes. Without Finger, Batman probably wouldn't have gone anywhere. But you have to be fair, and you have to be accurate.

All this stuff about Finger is a bias. People have made Kane out to be a bigger a**hole than he really was. Toward the end of his life, he revealed the truth and admitted that Finger got srcewed out of his credit.

But it wasn't Bob being a jerk. Bob created the character and had already submitted it to DC. So he was the only one who got official credit. That's how it worked in those days. Sorry to say it, but Bob Kane wasn't the ******* everyone wants to make him out to be. Not to mention that if Finger really felt he deserved co-credit for Batman, he could have taken Bob/DC to court like Siegal and Shuster did for Superman. If you let yourself get walked on, you partially deserve it.

This "raise the Finger" idiocy really gets on my nerves. Yes, the guy deserves equal credit, but the morons here carry the crusade way. Too. Far. Finger only helped shape the chracter, just as anyone else who wrote Batman for all these years. It's not Finger's (or Kane's) fault that the writers went unappreciated back then, that's how things were. And proclaiming that Bob Kane can "burn in Hell" is immature and ignorant. When you make a statement like that, it only shows that you don't care about the truth. The truth is that Kane created Batman. That will never change, and sorry to say, Finger fans, it is the truth. Kane wasn't the nicest person until the time B89 came out (When he started giving Bill his due credit), but overreacting and trying to insinuate that Kane was the devil is just plain rediculous.

Now, the Kane estate refusing to give Finger any credit (Which happened with the BB 2 Disc SE's pack-in comic recently) is truly pathetic, especially since Bob Kane himself was quick to acknowledge Finger in his last ten or so years.

But yeah. Kane created the Batman character and submitted him. THEN Finger made revisions. Thus, technically, Finger doesn't deserve co-credit, but it'd be generous. Kane's only true crime is taking credit for it all for all the years that he did, up until '89. [/rant]
I agree.

MiracloFiend said:
The guy at the Yankee Peddler (also at Village Gate) is always selling tons of comics real cheap. Check out some of the boxes, if you havn't already, just be aware that I've already gotten all the good stuff. :oldrazz:

Cool thanks for the info I will check it out soon.

DocLathropBrown said:
Droogie, I'm not going to go around with you. I have my opinion, and you have yours. Needless to say, I consider you one of the "nuts" who take this Finger business too far. And since you're unreasonable in your belief that Bob Kane was the devil himself, I can't have a reasonable conversation with you.
What a convenient way to never have to answer my argument. I'll put in simple, reasonable terms for you.

Bob Kane came up with a name. Bill Finger came up with Batman's entire look. All the backstory was either Finger, or collaborative. To me, Finger is more of what made the character based on that scorecard. Throw in the fact that Finger created Robin's look, as well as writing the character's origin story, and it's clear to me that Finger is responsible for what we're reading today, and Kane is incidental. But because he came from a rich family who could afford a lawyer to nail down a contract, Kane's name will be forever enshrined as the creator of Batman. Funny how the law doesn't always serve justice.

droogiedroogie2 said:
What a convenient way to never have to answer my argument. I'll put in simple, reasonable terms for you.

Bob Kane came up with a name. Bill Finger came up with Batman's entire look. All the backstory was either Finger, or collaborative. To me, Finger is more of what made the character based on that scorecard. Throw in the fact that Finger created Robin's look, as well as writing the character's origin story, and it's clear to me that Finger is responsible for what we're reading today, and Kane is incidental. But because he came from a rich family who could afford a lawyer to nail down a contract, Kane's name will be forever enshrined as the creator of Batman. Funny how the law doesn't always serve justice.

Dude your obsessed, Fingers been gone for 30 odd years now and no matter how much you b*tch and moan his family won't get the royalties. From the sounds of the character Finger was he didn't give a damn if the masses knew who he was or not along as long as the fans knew about and appreciated him.... mission complete don't you think?
To the masses he's a nobody but to a high percentage of the fans he's the creator of Batman which as I said I'm sure he would've liked.

kit1982 said:
Dude your obsessed, Fingers been gone for 30 odd years now and no matter how much you b*tch and moan his family won't get the royalties. From the sounds of the character Finger was he didn't give a damn if the masses knew who he was or not along as long as the fans knew about and appreciated him.... mission complete don't you think?
To the masses he's a nobody but to a high percentage of the fans he's the creator of Batman which as I said I'm sure he would've liked.
All I'm saying is, it was a greedy-bastard thing for Bob Kane to take out an exclusive-rights contract and betray his friend like that. Every year that he refused or forgot to get around to altering the contract, indeed, to even give Finger any credit until after he was dead, compounded the offense. I'm sorry, I've just got this thing about loyalty. I wasn't raised with the idea that you turn your back on your friends, or take credit for what they did.

And if you remember back, Kane himself admitted that the last time he saw Finger, the man was dejected and depressed that success had passed him by while his no-talent ghostwriter-dependent "buddy" got royalties in perpetuity for a character he had next to nothing to do with the creation of. So take your "this isn't what Finger would have wanted" canard somewhere else.

droogiedroogie2 said:
All I'm saying is...
And when what you're saying is right then you should keep on saying it :up:

hippie_hunter said:
Last time I checked, Aquaman was created by Paul Norris and Mort Weisinger, not by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

Well Batmans my favourite and coolest

droogiedroogie2 said:
All I'm saying is, it was a greedy-bastard thing for Bob Kane to take out an exclusive-rights contract and betray his friend like that. Every year that he refused or forgot to get around to altering the contract, indeed, to even give Finger any credit until after he was dead, compounded the offense. I'm sorry, I've just got this thing about loyalty. I wasn't raised with the idea that you turn your back on your friends, or take credit for what they did.

And if you remember back, Kane himself admitted that the last time he saw Finger, the man was dejected and depressed that success had passed him by while his no-talent ghostwriter-dependent "buddy" got royalties in perpetuity for a character he had next to nothing to do with the creation of. So take your "this isn't what Finger would have wanted" canard somewhere else.

My post might've seemed like I was going down the what he would've wanted route but my basic point was, no matter how much you bring it up it's not going to change anything. So basically just pipe down with it, sheesh digging up old threads and the like just so you can repeat your thoughts again. We all know how you feel, so why do you feel the need to ramble again and again? You don't want to remember Kane's birthday? Fair enough thats your decision, that's your right but do you really have to come on here shooting your mouth off? Why not just leave it and let the people who want to, do it instead of digging up the same old argument with the same old people?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"