Repossession Mambo ...cough ripoff cough

xwolverine2

Arkham Assassin
Reaction score
Filming has commenced in Toronto on Universal Pictures' sci-fi thriller revolving around the organ harvesting trade Repossession Mambo. A reader passed along nine bird's eye view photos of the snow-swept location, where the production is shooting, and the "futuristic" cars being used in the film. View the gallery here.

Set years from now, the story concerns a repo man made up of artificial parts named Remy (Jude Law) who receives a heart transplant. When he struggles to make the payments, he must go on the run from his former partner. Miguel Sapochnik is directing.

When Shock met with Law's co-star Alice Braga (who's also starring in I Am Legend), the actress told us, "Shooting is going great. It's cold, Canada's cold! But I play Beth, Remy's wife. The movie's going to be so cool."

Repo!: The Genetic Opera > Rip-off mambo....

:cmad: :o
in the end i bet rip-off mambo will end up making more money....

ugh.....

Yeah. What's up with that? Obvious ripoff! :cmad:

Also, there are two other recent suspense films with a similar premise. Si J'etais Toi, starring Dave Duchovny, Olivia Thirlby, and Lili Taylor. There's an upcoming film starring Sarah Michelle Gellar, but the supposed 'Possession' happens between her husband and her brother-in-law.

I read at Bloody-Disgusting.com that the studio wants a total re-edit of this film. So that review doesn't mean much to me.

Style frame that was produced when it was still titled Repossession Mambo (it's now called Repo Men).

mambo11.jpg

Source (includes two more): http://www.andrewcovell.com/styleframes/

Carice Van Houten has been doing promotion for her new movie Komt Een Vrouw Bij De Dokter and Repo Men gets mentioned in the press over here which is why it caught my attention. Despite the delays and the lack of promotion by the studio i hope the movie turns out good with such a good cast and an interesting theme.

Thought Repo! was a decent concept with poor execution. I am excited for Repo Men.

Yeah, I haven't seen Repo! yet... but Repo Men does look like a lot of sick fun. I think this might be a case of Swamp Thing/Man-Thing. Two very similar concepts that came about a while back and since one made it to film before the other, it looks like the newer one is a rip-off. It may very well be, but it could also just be coincidence. Since no lawsuits have apparently been filed, that might be the case.

However, I'd have to see both films to evaluate. I'm not going to read that comparison posted above until I do, because I hate it when things get spoiled.

Not really a rip-off when they started writing the script for this all the way in 03.

Never saw Repo the Genetic Opera but from what I've read on it as well as the trailer for this film, I don't think it's much of a ripoff. Especially since The Genetic Opera was a bit dark/gothic and a musical.

This by far isn't the first time a couple of movies came out within a decade or 5 years that had slightly similar stories.

It's a Rip-off of the concept, not the execution.

Its the same film, just made into a over the top violent action flick.

Just read the one link that mentions all the things it has in common.

So why is it worth complaining about though?

Was Repo that good or great of a film/musical? To me it seemed waaay too trendy, like it was trying too hard to appeal to the goth/cult crowd.

Its one of those things whether either you hate or like it.

Just like today with remakes, you either hate them or like them.

You know. I'm surprised all these Repo 'fans' aren't complaining about the movie Freejack. Also a rip-off. Where in the future (of course, a craptastic one), bounty hunters will chase you down because your body doesn't belong to you.

lol after seeing repo the generic opera who cares if they ripped them off anything is better than that garbage lol

but wow their even copying the marketing strategy... dumb decision though seeing how repo bombed...

dont know why anyone hasnt sued yet

You know. I'm surprised all these Repo 'fans' aren't complaining about the movie Freejack. Also a rip-off. Where in the future (of course, a craptastic one), bounty hunters will chase you down because your body doesn't belong to you.

Didn't Freejack come out in the 80's though? Not sure if I read your post wrong but it seemed like you were saying the fans of Repo should also be *****ing about Freejack, when technically it should be the other way around.

Didn't Freejack come out in the 80's though? Not sure if I read your post wrong but it seemed like you were saying the fans of Repo should also be *****ing about Freejack, when technically it should be the other way around.
Figs.... why you gotta ruin my fun?

And yes. Freejack came out in 1992.... before Repo was even on stage. I was just trying to bait a few Repo complainers into complaining about what was most likely ripped off to make their precious 'classic'.

Figs.... why you gotta ruin my fun?

And yes. Freejack came out in 1992.... before Repo was even on stage. I was just trying to bait a few Repo complainers into complaining about what was most likely ripped off to make their precious 'classic'.

Damn it! Sorry man, sometimes I can be a stickler for details. :csad:

Heck. Freejack even had stunt casting to appeal to more people (Mick Jagger) just like Repo did.

Maybe Darren Lynn Bousman hired Leonardo DiCaprio to break into Eric Garcia's brain before he thought of Repo Men, then released his movie so that everyone would think that he came up with the concept first.

Well, Repo was more about you miss your organ payments and the Repo-man comes to cut it out of you (same concept as Repo-men), with a side story about a sick daughter, and a megalomaniac and his 3 psycho kids. Repo: The Genetic Opera is not about Bounty hunter/ cop's coming to take your time-traveled to the future healthy body to get brain-wiped and reprogrammed with an old mans mind so he can live longer, so your analogy fails completely. It's like saying E.T. is a Rip-off of Alien.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"