Ridin’ with Biden

Biden probably just had the best month of his presidency and signed several historic pieces of legislation and it’s overshadowed by his predecessor committing treason. You can’t make this up.

Biden probably just had the best month of his presidency and signed several historic pieces of legislation and it’s overshadowed by his predecessor committing treason. You can’t make this up.
That is true. CNN spent 45 minutes an hour on Trump and five at best on today's historic vote. :(

That is true. CNN spent 45 minutes an hour on Trump and five at best on today's historic vote. :(
It's the ratings game. A president doing what he's supposed to be doing doesn't draw as many viewers as a disgraced ex-president and former reality TV host's vacation home getting raided by feds for classified nuclear documents.

Hopefully that at least resonates with some Dems who might have been unenthusiastic about voting.

Biden is taking his sweet time extending the student loan pause and making an announcement on the 10k forgiveness :argh:

Biden is taking his sweet time extending the student loan pause and making an announcement on the 10k forgiveness :argh:
Everything he does is with the mid-term elections in mind. I know it sucks for some people, BUT if the Dems can pull this off, hold the house (Pelosi will keep her people in line), and pick up 2-3 seats in a favorable election map in the senate, I think we'll see something much more favorable that 10K in relief. That's just my opinion, but I "think" that's where we're headed. There's almost 3 months left before election day and you want to spread the good news out.

Inflation, for example, was essentially flat between June and July with big job increases, if we get a couple of more months of that.......who knows? I'm very skeptical about keeping the house, but I suppose it's possible.

They said he’ll make a decision one way or another by end of August since that’s when the current pause ends. I just need a heads up so I can move some money around if repayments start up again (which I doubt they will).

Yeah I can’t see payments starting up again before midterms. Sad it’s a political football but it is.

It's the ratings game. A president doing what he's supposed to be doing doesn't draw as many viewers as a disgraced ex-president and former reality TV host's vacation home getting raided by feds for classified nuclear documents.
From the perspective of TV executives, that's exactly what it is. This I can guarantee you; Biden will find an uninterrupted time to sign the Inflation Reduction Act and tout the achievement both when it's signed and have a roadshow to make sure everyone knows exactly who supported it, who opposed it, and what it does. The latter isn't a criticism; it's a smart political move and aimed to help turn the tides of a republican wave in the mid-terms.

WRT student loans, my preferred approach would be to extend the moratorium on payments and put off canceling debt until after the mid-terms with the hope that the dems can keep control of the house and expand their majority by at least 2 in the senate. IF that can happen, student debt cancellation should be part of an overall package of educational cost reform. Just the cancellation of debt doesn't really address the issue of how we got where we are now and just kicks that can down the road. In addition, it can always be done by executive order post election as something of a band-aid. I also come down on the side of using this plan as an overt administration priority in order to advance the chances of the democratic party in the mid-terms. Canceling debt alone, while it carries some political benefits, also carries some political costs (although I personally support doing it). Making education more affordable going forward and simultaneously canceling debt, carries far more political benefit. I am also against canceling student debt for those people who are wealthy. I don't have an exact formula on this, but would put a fairly high cap on family or personal wealth and income and possibly a graduated loan forgiveness above this cap. Full debt forgiveness, if accompanied by educational cost reform, would be granted to those below this high income cap (maybe 150K per year depending on the state???).

I’d put it off for a day or so until the current political scandals die down a bit. On second thought, that might not be a good idea as he’d have to put it off for maybe a couple months. Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"