Playstation RUMOR: Sony to acquire Take Two if Microsoft is successful in the Activision deal

As a huge Destiny fan, I'm still baffled by the amount Sony paid for Bungie

Granted, they've been one of- if not the most- successful company to create a live service game
but is one popular live service game really worth over $3 billion? We don't even know how Marathon or whatever other new IP they're working on will go
About a third of the fee was for staff retention bonuses. It seems like they appointed Bungie as Head of GAAS/chief GAAS consultant rather than just another studio to have working on their own games only. Definitely a general live service move beyond just Destiny and who knows, maybe all this played a part in Jim Ryan not being there to see out his vision. I can’t imagine relations between Bungie and Naughty Dog are amazing right now.

If I were Sony I would use Bungie as a studio that can release yearly games like Activision does with COD or at least develop a ip like COD title exclusively to Sony platform. Time for Sony to make use of that 3 billion dollar acquisition

A major fps franchise does seem like a must have for PlayStation Studios, especially when the time comes that Call of Duty becomes a XboX console eXclusive.

A major fps franchise does seem like a must have for PlayStation Studios, especially when the time comes that Call of Duty becomes a XboX console eXclusive.
Weren't you just saying on the previous page that you think fps is Xbox's thing and that they all look the same to you?

A proper story-based fps would be the best way for Bungie to draw eyes after years of live service nonsense. Marathon does not excite me.

Weren't you just saying on the previous page that you think fps is Xbox's thing and that they all look the same to you?
So? I didn't say Sony should abandon first person shooter games. And my comments still stand, that fps games all the same (though with some eXception that I didn't bother to specify to make my comment short). And I've checked Microsoft gaming portfolio, most of their prolific games especially current ones are FPs (Redfall, Starfield) though I am clearly aware of Forza Horizon, Gears of Wars many years ago.

There's a reason why I didn't bother to continue on our last interaction in this thread. So lets end it there.

So? I didn't say Sony should abandon first person shooter games.
But why did you dismiss the idea in the first place though? When the idea of acquiring a studio with a major fps was first brought up, you implied that it wouldn't be a good idea simply because in your eyes, it makes more sense for Xbox, and because the genre itself is too repetitive. And now you are doing a complete 180 again out of nowhere, contradicting what you previously said.
And my comments still stand, that fps games all the same (though with some eXception that I didn't bother to specify to make my comment short). And I've checked Microsoft gaming portfolio, most of their prolific games especially current ones are FPs (Redfall, Starfield) though I am clearly aware of Forza Horizon, Gears of Wars many years ago.
By shortening your comment, your comment did not make sense. There is a big difference between saying "all fps look the same" and "fps look the same, but with a few exceptions".

Redfall released this year and Starfield switches between first and third person. For the majority of Xbox's history, the only prolific fps game I can think of in their portfolio has been Halo, their day one flagship franchise.
There's a reason why I didn't bother to continue on our last interaction in this thread.
And what would that reason be? Please understand, I am not trying to be rude or disrespectful but honestly, I cannot help but feel like you have made these interactions with me very personal.
So lets end it there.
There is no ending it anywhere. This is a discussion forum and in this thread, you have said things that I agree with and you have said a lot of things that I disagree with. I've said this to you many times already, but you are not obligated to respond to my posts at all. When I've called you out on things, you choose instead to deflect and not back up any of your claims.

tomorrow is Friday the 13th, in October. either mS closes, which is horribly bad luck for Sony, or it all blows up in their faces, which will be terribly bad luck for them. I hope it's the latter.

Well, if you think whatever happens tomorrow is due to a silly superstition then sure...

Well, if you think whatever happens tomorrow is due to a silly superstition then sure...
I was half joking, but yes. Today is Friday the 13th of October 2023. This marks the beginning of the end of PlayStation (unless they acquire Take Two).

I was half joking, but yes. Today is Friday the 13th of October 2023. This marks the beginning of the end of PlayStation (unless they acquire Take Two).

It's over, gaming news can focus on something else finally.

Nice trailer though lol.

It's over, gaming news can focus on something else finally.

Nice trailer though lol.
yeah haha they made a trailer because of a whole ass acquisition lol celebrating industry consolidation or just showing off their power I guess

Balls in Sonys hands now if Disney goes for EA Sony must go for Take Two or Ubisoft

Balls in Sonys hands now if Disney goes for EA Sony must go for Take Two or Ubisoft
mS has Bethesda and Activision, so Sony should buy both. Most importantly, Take Two. They need to lock GTA in to compete with mS's ownership of CoD
@XtremelyBaneful

Found it. I think you'll at least like the music. :cwink:

OMG! When you said you think I'll like the music, I thought you meant some cool tunes to vibe to, I was not expecting The Weeknd! And on top of that, his biggest hit!

OMG! When you said you think I'll like the music, I thought you meant some cool tunes to vibe to, I was not expecting The Weeknd! And on top of that, his biggest hit!
Haha yeah, I knew you were a big Weeknd fan. :beaming:(I love his stuff too)

Haha yeah, I knew you were a big Weeknd fan. :beaming:(I love his stuff too)
absolutely. My avatar & title are dedicated to him. My username I created back in 2012, but I have considered changing it.

the funny thing is, I have only ever seen Abel associating himself with either Nintendo, or playstation stuff.

here's him playing Call of Duty on Ps4:
screen-shot-2019-04-10-at-9.55.25-am.png

FADER-21_e5iabp.jpg

and a Dualsense was featured in the You Right music video:

absolutely. My avatar & title are dedicated to him. My username I created back in 2012, but I have considered changing it.

the funny thing is, I have only ever seen Abel associating himself with either Nintendo, or playstation stuff.

here's him playing Call of Duty on Ps4:
screen-shot-2019-04-10-at-9.55.25-am.png

FADER-21_e5iabp.jpg

and a Dualsense was featured in the You Right music video:

Awesome, and I didn’t know he was a gamer. I like him even more now. :beaming:

the bolded's gotta be the first one, brother. Mystic Ryan weighed in on this, too

the video should be timestamped to 26:26

Yes, Sony acquire Take 2!
Analysts reckon that Sony can’t continue competing with Microsoft over video games alone unless it acquires a company like GTA publisher Take-Two Interactive, which is highly unlikely to happen.
Unlikely does not mean impossible. Do it, Sony.

Yeah, I'm not sure corporations listen to their customers when it comes to these kinds of decision. :hehe:

Besides, would they really want to acquire Take-Two or any other big publisher? Their Bungie acquisition is still eating into their profits:

If not money, then there's the people problem. Ubisoft, for example, has over 21k people in over 45 studios across the planet. I reckon no company wants to gobble all that up.

I kind of don't like this in general and corporate consolidation. FTC massively failed on every level here. There is absolutely no reason Microsoft buying Activision should be allowed. Sony buying Take Two should not happen either, but now that Activision buyout went through, FTC is feckless and toothless. They have no leg to stand on due to their absolute incompetency.

FTC is all but useless and does jack squat at this point.

I kind of don't like this in general and corporate consolidation. FTC massively failed on every level here. There is absolutely no reason Microsoft buying Activision should be allowed. Sony buying Take Two should not happen either, but now that Activision buyout went through, FTC is feckless and toothless. They have no leg to stand on due to their absolute incompetency.

FTC is all but useless and does jack squat at this point.
yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this too. I cannot believe mS was allowed to make their biggest acquisition which was of the biggest and most valuable video game publisher. The argument of them being in third place shouldn't hold water considering it is their own fault that they are in third place given the fact that without Activision they already had way more studios than the market leader (Sony).

and like you said, an acquisition like Sony of Take Two shouldn't happen either, but the floodgates are open since the biggest piece of the pie has been eaten. to be honest, it's not even just the video games industry. Disney should not have been allowed to buy Fox either. There is too much consolidation across more than one entertainment industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"