Playstation RUMOR: Sony to acquire Take Two if Microsoft is successful in the Activision deal

Also with AT&T buying Time Warner, which was drastically bad for Warner Bros.

Microsoft also bought Activision after they had just purchased Bethesda Softworks.

What purpose does the FTC even serve anymore?

Take 2
EA
Ubisoft
Capcom

Any of those would be a huge get just for the ips alone. Sony is a big company, whìch has headquarters around the world. They could probably take over something like Ubisoft, if they really see that company would be beneficial for them. I only care Assassin's Creed / Watch Dogs when it comes to Ubisoft, I feel like if Sony could take their story telling approach (ala Insomniac, Naughty Dog) to those ips, it could do wonders.

But I also think this topic has been brought up so many times, that Sony probably wouldn't acquire anything massive (as Microsoft did with Bethesda/Activision Blizzard King) from now until 2025. I'd like to be wrong and surprise us with headline news "Sony enters negotiations to buy ______". I'll believe when I see it.

I'm interested to see how all these Microsoft acquisitions, game streaming services and the rest of this current console generation games will play out 5 years from now (2028).

next gen will be interesting to see who comes out on top with all these acquisitions msft has been making I am curious to see what they can do and if they can take the crown away from PS

next gen will be interesting to see who comes out on top with all these acquisitions msft has been making I am curious to see what they can do and if they can take the crown away from PS
It's a fight between Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft has fallen too fair behind to catch up in 1 gen.

Also with AT&T buying Time Warner, which was drastically bad for Warner Bros.

Microsoft also bought Activision after they had just purchased Bethesda Softworks.

What purpose does the FTC even serve anymore?
I actually completely forgot about that acquisition. What effects have AT&T's acquisition of Warner Bros. had on them?
they can and if Sony doesn't acquire Take Two, they will.
It's a fight between Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft has fallen too fair behind to catch up in 1 gen.
not necessarily. Microsoft has had a strong position in gen 7. and now with gamepass on their side and the inevitable day 1 CoD releases on it, mS has a very strong chance of taking Sony off of their throne

edit: btw, that is a sick avatar you got there!

Last edited:
Take 2
EA
Ubisoft
Capcom

Any of those would be a huge get just for the ips alone. Sony is a big company, whìch has headquarters around the world. They could probably take over something like Ubisoft, if they really see that company would be beneficial for them. I only care Assassin's Creed / Watch Dogs when it comes to Ubisoft, I feel like if Sony could take their story telling approach (ala Insomniac, Naughty Dog) to those ips, it could do wonders.

But I also think this topic has been brought up so many times, that Sony probably wouldn't acquire anything massive (as Microsoft did with Bethesda/Activision Blizzard King) from now until 2025. I'd like to be wrong and surprise us with headline news "Sony enters negotiations to buy ______". I'll believe when I see it.

I'm interested to see how all these Microsoft acquisitions, game streaming services and the rest of this current console generation games will play out 5 years from now (2028).
Could also be similar regulatory pressures if Sony does go for anyone big, especially being the market leader.

If all the Ubisoft titles could be brought up to Sony 1st party standards it really would be something.

Could also be similar regulatory pressures if Sony does go for anyone big, especially being the market leader.

If all the Ubisoft titles could be brought up to Sony 1st party standards it really would be something.
The only things that attracts me to Ubisoft games are Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs (the latter seems to be on ice now). However, Prince of Persia, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Just Dance and those Tom Clancy games can be really lucrative ips for Sony alongside Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs.

I can't remember the last time I played an Ubisoft game. All of the ones I liked (esp Splinter Cell) are on ice and nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: Gee
I can't remember the last time I played an Ubisoft game. All of the ones I liked (esp Splinter Cell) are on ice and nowhere to be seen.
Ditto. I miss the old R6 and Ghost Recon when they were "hardcode" tactical shooters. I dread they'll make the next Splinter Cell an open world-style game where Sam climbs countless towers to unlock vistas/viewpoints. :whatever:

I wish they would make a new Rayman.

Ditto. I miss the old R6 and Ghost Recon when they were "hardcode" tactical shooters. I dread they'll make the next Splinter Cell an open world-style game where Sam climbs countless towers to unlock vistas/viewpoints. :whatever:

I wish they would make a new Rayman.
The recent Ghost Recons are quite fun in co-op with friends, probably a chore in single player.

I mean of course they would be concerned it wouldn’t make sense for them not to be worried.

Yeah they are worried but we still haven't seen any major acquisition... Its fine if they just want to focus on their own studios and PS5 has already won this generation, but buying a major gaming studio would really send a big message to Microsoft, and in the long run, secure Sony's lead in competition.

I hope in 2024, there's a big acquisition.

Yeah they are worried but we still haven't seen any major acquisition... Its fine if they just want to focus on their own studios and PS5 has already won this generation, but buying a major gaming studio would really send a big message to Microsoft, and in the long run, secure Sony's lead in competition.

I hope in 2024, there's a big acquisition.
This Bungie acquisition cost not far off half of the cost of Zenimax and is not looking too hot so far. I think Sony should invest a ton more into their main studios that have a strong pedigree and already established fit within the company. They should all have multiple teams additional to what they already have so they can work on multiple big games at the same time.

I don’t want Naughty Dog for eg to drop Uncharted (unless they want to) or not start work on a new IP (especially if a fantasy one as they were rumoured to be interested in) while working on The Last of Us. Get a ton more personnel so they can support projects of that size at the same time.

I want SSM to be able to put out God of War for life without delays while also being able to work on a new IP. I also want Horizon to become a continuing franchise if possible while allowing the studio to work on other things if they want too.

I think Uncharted is pretty much done and there won't be new games for that IP. I don't really pay attention to multi player games so I was quite unfamiliar with Bungie. Destiny 2 not really doing wonders for Sony, feels like I'm not really missing out. Sony's strength in the ps4 era was their 1st party single player games, so I don't think suddenly jumping on live service/multiplayer games trend was a good idea and it looks like, it really isn't yet for Sony.

I think their other studios could release more games sooner than later if only they would hire more people, but that doesn't seem to be happening and a lot of gaming studios right now recently laid off their employees. Now, if they use that AI technology to speed up the development of these games... but then I can see relying heavily on AI becoming a problem later on.

Well that’s just embarrassing. Sony needs to get over it and move on.

Ehh. They really don't though. Beyond what's right or wrong, I reckon I'd fight it all the way if my competitor decided to buy out the industry I worked in.
I agree. Sony shouldn't have given up in the first place - and they did when they signed that 10 year CoD contract with mS.

Acquiring Take 2 and Ubisoft would help diversify their slate. They would basically have more fps games with Far Cry/Tom Clancy's, with the former having a more blockbuster feel to it like their signature games. For a family game eXperience, there's Just Dance. While Take 2 has a lot of sport games.

So out of these studios, those two would be great purchases.
I know I am replying to you very late with this so just like I always say - don't feel obligated to respond. but with what you said here, you're kinda moving the goalposts now. your point originally was that games like Yakuza, Persona (and even Just Dance for that matter) don't fit into playstation's catalogue of 3rd person action adventure games.

so if you are of the opinion that it would be important to diversify playstation studio's portfolio, then you should be totally on board with games like Yakuza & Persona having their IPs acquired by Sony too.

Sheez. I haven't checked in the forum for several days, and the top notification is a quote from a post I made months ago.

"Goalposts".

Yes they don't fit. The graphiX of Yakuza aren't on par with Sony's top 1st party games. In comparison, Yakuza games look like AA games. Persona has a comic booky look and the cutscenes/talking scenes, iirc, are very different to most first party games by Sony.

And Just Dance is Just Dance...

I don't see any of thoseas cinematic looking as Horizon, Uncharted, Last of Us, Insomniac games, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War and even Infamous.

Last edited:
Sheez. I haven't checked in the forum for several days, and the top notification is a quote from a post I made months ago.

"Goalposts".
lol I realize that I should have replied to you at the time but better late than never I guess

lol I realize that I should have replied to you at the time but better late than never I guess
And my opinion, still stands. Playstation Studios is best known for their cinematic looking games (well ps4 days to this current gen). Those 3 franchises aren't really. Even Helldivers 2 made a switch to third person and graphic wise, on par with those big sony 1st party games I've mentioned.

But if they want to diversify their catalogue by doing something different, less glossy/less cinematic games, I wasn't disagreeing in the first place....

They still have Astro, MLB the Show and those VR games that aren't photo realistic looking games.

I'm not including Ratchet & Clank, as it looks like a PiXar movie.

And my opinion, still stands. Playstation Studios is best known for their cinematic looking games (well ps4 days to this current gen). Those 3 franchises aren't really. Even Helldivers 2 made a switch to third person and graphic wise, on par with those big sony 1st party games I've mentioned.

But if they want to diversify their catalogue by doing something different, less glossy/less cinematic games, I wasn't disagreeing in the first place....

They still have Astro, MLB the Show and those VR games that aren't photo realistic looking games.

I'm not including Ratchet & Clank, as it looks like a PiXar movie.
my whole point with our conversation last year is that you were making it sound like there can be only one kind of playstation studios game, which is that third person cinematic type you're referring to. but then later you said Just Dance would help diversify their slate and my only response is if you care about diversifying their slate, then you should be on board with IPs like Persona & Yakuza.

and if that's what you're saying now, well, right on then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"