Sales For Spider-Man pre-OMD to current

Why in the world are you considering these events? They're just basic stories. I know that the first and last were important, but not events. And the 'Nuff Said issue.... psh. I can maybe see it but that whole deal was a crappy idea (and one that mostly failed) ... certainly not an event.

I could remove the 'Nuff Said issue as well as the conversation issue, but ASM # 50 (vol.2) was hyped as such with the return of Mary Jane, who was pretty much absent from the books for close to 2 years...

That's why...

:yay:

Characters like spiderman deserve to grow and move on and have a family and get old and eventually die damnit!

That's a very selfish statement.

If said characters deserve to grow old and die, then you might never have had the chance to read about Spider-Man, or Batman, or Captain America, or any and all characters that have over 40 years of comic book stories, because their stories would have been said and done with by the time you were old enough to start reading comics, and you'd have to read the mundane adventures of Sleepwalker & DarkHawk (my apologies to fans of the aforementioned characters).

These characters are much bigger than you and I and will be around much longer after we're both six feet under pushing daisies.

We've seen the older characters that have had replacements, and they somehow manage to come back; ie Spider-Man (Ben Reilley), Batman (Dick Grayson), the Flash (Wally West, Bart Allen), Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), etc... but at the end of the day, characters like Peter Parker, Bruce Wayne & Clark Kent will live on forever (much to your chagrin) and their stories will continue long after we're both dead... like it or not.

Methinks you won't like it... being the self-centered bastard that you are... :oldrazz:

I don't see how the return of MJ now is an event but it wasn't back in ASM #50.

I didn't even realize she was coming back, but unless it's as Mrs. Peter Parker I don't really care.

But I still don't see it as an event, then or now. I think people are too quick to label things events. Sometimes they're just things that happen. Events are 6 issue or more storylines that have major impacts on the title or marvel event. Seriously, MJ showing up and hanging around as a supporting cast member is nowhere NEAR an event. That's just stupid.

But I still don't see it as an event, then or now. I think people are too quick to label things events. Sometimes they're just things that happen. Events are 6 issue or more storylines that have major impacts on the title or marvel event. Seriously, MJ showing up and hanging around as a supporting cast member is nowhere NEAR an event. That's just stupid.

But she wasn't just showing up to hang around... after what was 2 years (our time) of separation, it was the issue where she and Peter got back together, which was a pretty major impact on ASM at the time (so it fits your criteria), and it was labelled as higher priced 50th issue, and people were looking forward to it, hence the higher sales.

I thought of it as an event, but if you want to remove it from the math because you feel it wasn't then by all means...

But she wasn't just showing up to hang around... after what was 2 years (our time) of separation, it was the issue where she and Peter got back together, which was a pretty major impact on ASM at the time (so it fits your criteria), and it was labelled as higher priced 50th issue, and people were looking forward to it, hence the higher sales.

I thought of it as an event, but if you want to remove it from the math because you feel it wasn't then by all means...

Then shouldn't an event be that entire storyline (which I'm thinking was a 3 parter if memory serves... though I could be wrong) and the stuff that comes after it for a while? The issue where Ben Reilly shows up isn't considered the event... it was the Clone Saga itself that was the event. Was the Spider-Man issues where Spidey and the New Avengers face off against Hydra an event because it hints at his sickness? No, it was The OTHER that was the event because of the length and how it was handled. So unless her appearances prior to he return, her return, and then some deal after her return and their getting reaquainted is an all inclusive event, I don't see why that one issue IS an event. Important issue, yes... event? No.

But oh well, it doesn't matter anyhow.

I liked the contrast between Thor's loving recollection of Odin and Loki's angsty memory of Odin's failings.

What was Daredevil's? I never read it.

Daredevil's was a sort-of tie-in with Elektra, as Bendis was writing both at the time. Each one was told from the character's own perspective, and was basically and almost-meeting between the two. It was somewhat annoying because Elektra wasn't part of the overall story arc and it was in the middle of Bendis first arc, but it did pay off when Elektra finally appeared a bit later into his run (and i think Bendis made their actual meeting that time silent too). And it did a pretty sweet job of letting Maleev's sexy art tell the story.

I didn't even realize she was coming back, but unless it's as Mrs. Peter Parker I don't really care.

Hey, I agree with you, I don't and didn't consider it an event either, but according to most of the people's criteria in this thread, it seems that it would be. What you're saying is my entire point, that everyone here seems to be calling every other story arc in ASM post-OMD an event or gimmick or whatever.

That still would have ticked me off because it's still erasing their married life and the years of comics I've read... but without the selfishness of Peter I could probably forgive easier.

That's what i'm saying I would have felt like I had been kicked in the nuts but with a little ice and tlc I know it was eventually gonna be alright but OMD as it stands was little more like Castration and knowing nothing will ever be quite the same:wow::grin::csad:

Wow. Sales under JMS started to fall when MJ came back.

umm i wouldnt blame MJ for that just yet... i mean think about it.. the stories we had weren't even centered around MJ and plain sucked... The Totem arch, sins past, the other... i mean come on

you know its bad when Archie is growing more than Spider-man. He's getting married to Veronica

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"