Saudi Arabia: American Woman Jailed for sitting with Man

SuBe

Voluntaryist
Reaction score
American Woman Jailed in Saudi Arabia for Sitting With Men at Starbucks

Wednesday, February 06, 2008
foxnews_story.gif

http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?u...audi Arabia for Sitting With Men at Starbucks
A 37-year-old American businesswoman and married mother of three is seeking justice after she was thrown in jail by Saudi Arabia's religious police for sitting with a male colleague at a Starbucks coffee shop in Riyadh, according to a report in The Times of London on Thursday.
Yara, who does not want her last name published for fear of retribution, was bruised and crying when she was freed from a day in prison after she was strip-searched, threatened and forced to sign false confessions by the Kingdom's “Mutaween” police, The Times reported.
“Some men came up to us with very long beards and white dresses. They asked ‘Why are you here together?'. I explained about the power being out in our office. They got very angry and told me what I was doing was a great sin,” recalled Yara, who wears an abaya and headscarf, like most Saudi women.
The men were from Saudi Arabia's Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, a police force of several thousand men charged with enforcing dress codes, sex segregation and the observance of prayers.
Yara says she was interrogated, strip-searched and forced to sign and fingerprint a series of confessions pleading guilty to her “crime,” the Times reported.
/**/
Yara was visited yesterday by officials from the American Embassy, who promised they would file a report.

This is a lot like that woman with the teddy bear a few months ago.

Well, since Saudi Arabia is friends with the US, it's all good, right?

I mean, it's not like Saudi Arabia had anything to do with 9/11 right? Because they're our buddies. :o

What was this woman doing in Saudi Arabia, anyway?

She should have known better than to break the laws of the country she's staying in. You're not in America anymore.

Maybe next time she'll think twice before being such a wanton ****e!

jag

I swear those people in that area of the world are just...*shakes head*

880 A.D. left a papyrus note, they want their laws back.

She should have known better than to break the laws of the country she's staying in. You're not in America anymore.
What a great way to excuse ****ed up, idiotic laws. *applauds*

Wait...does the Quaran actually have a passage that says "thou shalt not sit at a Starbucks drinking your $9 Mochacinno with a member of the opposite sex?" Cause if so, I think I'm converting, cause for a book writtin thousands of years ago, that's the most accurate religoius prophecy I've ever heard...

Yeah. And they should think of that before getting sick over there too, cause the law states that women must have female doctors, even though it's illegal for a woman to be a doctor. Learn the law before you fall down, you dumb ****es! :rolleyes:

Wow. How is it still, so f'n bad there with that? To the point that they jail innocent people? Even if she should've known the customs and all that, but to strip-search her? For what? And to try and make her sign false confessions? Is that part of the religious practice too? -smh-

I'm so thankful that I'm a woman living in the U.S. I can't even imagine being female and living in a country with those sorts of laws :down

Well, since Saudi Arabia is friends with the US, it's all good, right?

I mean, it's not like Saudi Arabia had anything to do with 9/11 right? Because they're our buddies. :o

right..our very close buddies:wow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"