Scores To Marvel Films: Which do you like the most?

If all Marvel's movies, I find the scores for the X-Men films to be the most memorable and recognizable. Definitely my favorites.

I also enjoyed Thor's score and The Incredible Hulk's score.

Captain America seems to have a nice couple of notes for a signature theme, but that's it.

Honestly, I think Elfman's score for the Spider-Man movies to be overrated. But that's just me.

Honestly, I think Elfman's score for the Spider-Man movies to be overrated. But that's just me.

I actually find Elfman's Spiderman scores underrated and very underappreciated. But to each their own.

Spider-Man 3(2007) Ever...Numero Uno :awesome:
second place Iron Man 2 (2010)
3rd place Captain America TFA (2011)
4th place of course X-Men TLS (2006)
last place Elektra (2005)

Spider-Man 3(2007) Ever...Numero Uno :awesome:
second place Iron Man 2 (2010)
3rd place Captain America TFA (2011)
4th place of course X-Men TLS (2006)
last place Elektra (2005)

Young's Spiderman 3 score got nothing on Elfman's Spiderman scores, imo. Debney's IM2 score was very generic and really didn't improve the already disappointing movie. He just added to it. Debney's score was barely an improvement over Djawadi's generic and lackluster score. I already talked about Silvestri's Cap. score.While good nothing really special about it. Powell's X3 score is impressive, though. Way better than the film deserved too.

Last edited:
Young's Spiderman 3 score got nothing on Elfman's Spiderman scores, imo. Debney's IM2 score was very generic and really didn't improve the already disappointing movie. He just added to it. Debney's score was barely an improvement over Djawadi's generic and lackluster score. I already talked about Silvestri's Cap. score.While good nothing really special about it. Powell's X3 score is impressive, though. Way better than the film deserved too.

Well I guess it's a good thing that he doesn't share your opinion now does it?! :yay:

I find scores to be very overrated. They certainly can be memorable but the story itself trumps any score. In fact, I say as long as the score doesn't distract from the visuals, who cares? You need one but all I ask for is competence.

The only Marvel film where I felt the score was a distraction was Spider-Man 3. I can't believe anyone voted for that on this poll. It got to the point where each villain theme was SOOOOO annoying that I started to pay attention to it rather than the story. Sandman's twang starts to equate to nails on a chalkboard meets stepping on a cat if you listen to it closely.

Thor's is now up there for me as well, liked it in the cinema, have grown to love it on BD, fits with the movie perfectly.

I find scores to be very overrated. They certainly can be memorable but the story itself trumps any score. In fact, I say as long as the score doesn't distract from the visuals, who cares? You need one but all I ask for is competence.

To each their own.

Mine is very frankly Carlo Siliotto's Punisher Score from 2004. I found it simply fantastic. It sounded sort of like a western and added so much tragedy to it.

This was just intense:

[YT]q9D7zIQ_Yuc[/YT]

And the Punisher theme is just so fitting and awesome. I love its many changes to fit the tone throughout the film.

My favorites of the score are, Setting A Trap, The Punisher, The Massacre, Gods Gonna Sit This One Out, Entering The Fort, Skull (The Punisher Theme Extended :awesome:), Castle's Loneliness, Punishment, and You Don't Understand definitely. My favorite is probably Gods Gonna Sit This One Out because it combines Castle's Loneliness, The Punisher Theme, and then creates an awesome sounding original tune. All in all scores like The Punisher are the reason that I mainly listen to scores to movies and video games.

[YT]zC2j7c87eUE[/YT]
[YT]fcodbrTHEqw[/YT]
[YT]dvkndgX5-WA[/YT]
[YT]ClOZemosdqo[/YT]
[YT]VIiMBwSJCw0[/YT]
[YT]lKHgDiweH9o[/YT]
I think the Punisher's score has more uniqueness and pathos than that of most other "superhero" movies.

Last edited:
I think the Punisher's score has more uniqueness and pathos than that of most other "superhero" movies.

Yeah it's great and very underrated. It's very Morricone-esque as well. You don't hear music like that for those kind of action films these days.

For me I'd say Hulk (2003), Thor and Punisher (2004) in no particular order.

Okay so The Avengers and TAS-M have been out. How would ya'll rank those scores to other Marvel scores?

I actually find Elfman's Spiderman scores underrated and very underappreciated. But to each their own.
Man, I love those two scores. I wish Elfman's complete score had been used for SM2 instead of the bastardized Young/Elfman hybrid that happened. Young's stuff doesn't even touch Elfman's and the shift between the two in the film is jarring.

SM3's score was awful. Only Sandman's intro had any real beauty to it.

Nah, spider-man 3's score was much better than elfman's efforts, despite elfman having two very strong and worthy SM scores under his belt.

Man, I love those two scores. I wish Elfman's complete score had been used for SM2 instead of the bastardized Young/Elfman hybrid that happened. Young's stuff doesn't even touch Elfman's and the shift between the two in the film is jarring.

Both scores are one of my favorites from Elfman in the last decade. Both are very well written and thought out scores, imo. Not "batman leftovers" like most people have claimed. I agree with you about how jarring the difference between Young's and Elfman's as well as Debney's music (for the "Pizza Man" scene at least) were. Both Young's and Debney's material not only doesn't measure up to Elfman's own in S2 but both styles and approaches doesn't fit the overall tone Elfman uses for the films, imo.The hellraiser music (during the demonstration scene) was totally out of place and took me out of the scene when I first saw it. It still feels out of place to this day. It was very inappropriate, imo. What was Raimi thinking? There was nothing scary or horrific going on before the disaster accured so why play scary and hellish type music as Ock reveals his tentacles?

Young's "Runaway Train" has nothing on Elfman's "Train/Appreciation", imo. I know I'm in the minority on this. Elfman's use of his Spidey and Ock themes throughout makes his track better than Young's alone. The way Elfman used his Spider-man theme as he swings back toward the train after Ock knocked him off in the middle of ongoing traffic was way more "heroic", "powerful", "triumphant", and (the overused word but appropriate for this instance) "epic" than Young's. Young's use of Elfman's Spidey theme felt forced. It was scored as if "okay cue the heroic fanfare" by comparison to Elfman's, imo. It doesn't nearly have the same impact as Elfman's either. That goes for the cue itself as well. Young's cue was just tension music following what's going on on screen and adding hardly any substance in comparison. It was effective but nothing else in the film, imo. The scene was very well made that it didn't matter if Young's music enhanced it or not.

SM3's score was awful. Only sandman's intro had any real beauty to it.

Though I wasn't a big fan of Young's S3 score. I thought it was decent at best, but out of place in comparison to Elfman's two scores. I also found the "Birth of Sandman" cue very predictable. I knew where it was headed before it got there. Like when the chorus was going to kick in and so on. Sure it was effective in that particular scene but it felt like a alternate track from his Hellraiser scores.

I didn't appreciate how he (as well Deborah Lurie and John Debney) used Elfman's Spider-man motif. It was too in your face unlike Elfman's. Elfman's theme while still present it blended in with the rest of the music and tried not to be too obvious, imo. It only went in your face when necessary and not everytime the theme showed up. Elfman also underscored the theme a few times. Young and co. put it all in your face everytime to the point where it made the theme feel and seem cheesy to me, unlike Elfman's two scores the theme never felt or seem cheesy once, imo .

At times the score felt like it belonged in a horror movie (or Hellraiser movie). And it just didn't do it for me. It definitely lacks something Elfman's two scores had. And though he used certain Elfman themes it still doesn't feel like it connects to Elfman's two scores, imo. Again probably forced, b/c if Young had his way he probably would've ignored 'em completely and start anew liked he tried to do with M.J.'s theme. It would've been different if this was a different Spider-man movie with a new cast but it's the 3rd movie and a continuation of Raimi's first two, of course.

That's cool people like it the best and and like it in general. I just wasn't impressed. I believe Elfman set the bar high for Young.

I've been listening to The Avengers, Cap's and Thor's scored a lot lately. How can anyone forget Magneto's theme from X-Men: First Class? I thought that was one awesome track of badassery.

Gotta speak the truth here, even if you dont wanna hear it.

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" had a pretty neat score. Harry Gregson Williams ftw.

Gotta speak the truth here, even if you dont wanna hear it.

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" had a pretty neat score. Harry Gregson Williams ftw.

No offense but that score was probably the most forgettable of the X-men scores, cbm scores, and Marvel scores, imo. It's just as forgettable as the film itself. But if you got something out of it well at least somebody did.

for me it would be Horner's score for the TASM, Doyle's score for Thor or Silvestri's score for avengers. I used to say The Punisher, but after re-watching it, aside from the main punisher theme, which I still love, the rest of the score is really melodramatic, like almost laughably at times, at least when the saint's are on screen.

I'd probably go with Dany Elfman's HULK score. Its absolutely genius and haunting, I don't think any other theme has so totally encapsulated a character since Williams' Superman march.

I like X-Men: The Last Stand the most, then X2 for 2nd, then Spider-Man 2, X-Men: First Class and Thor for third.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"