Scorsese’s Jesus Film

OtherwiseKnownAs

We live inside a dream (he/him/his)
Reaction score
Martin Scorsese Meets Pope Francis, Announces Film About Jesus – Report

Martin Scorsese is on a post-Cannes tour of Italy where over the weekend the director, known for having a religious bent, met with Pope Francis and announced that he will make a film about Jesus.

“I have responded to the Pope’s appeal to artists in the only way I know how: by imagining and writing a screenplay for a film about Jesus,” Scorsese announced on Saturday during a Rome conference at the Vatican, according to multiple reports. “And I’m about to start making it,” the director added, suggesting that this could be his next film.

Interesting, The Last Temptation of Christ was Scorsese’s right?

Yeah, I’m not sure what angle Scorsese will take with it considering he already did The Last Temptation of Christ.

There’s an interview with a young Scorsese where he said that part of the reason why he felt The Last Temptation didn’t work was because he tackled religious themes too overtly, as opposed to slipping them into the narratives of his other works. I do love Silence though — I think that’s one of Scorsese’s best films.

In any case, I’m game for a new Scorsese anything.

I'm nervous about this. Personally, I would rather and have been waiting for Gibson's POTC sequel.

I'm nervous about this. Personally, I would rather and have been waiting for Gibson's POTC sequel.
Gonna go with the version by the director who already made the most beautiful and compelling cinematic rendition of Jesus and not the baffling sequel to a raging lunatic's antisemitic hate screed.

Yeah, I’m not sure what angle Scorsese will take with it considering he already did The Last Temptation of Christ.

There’s an interview with a young Scorsese where he said that part of the reason why he felt The Last Temptation didn’t work was because he tackled religious themes too overtly, as opposed to slipping them into the narratives of his other works. I do love Silence though — I think that’s one of Scorsese’s best films.

In any case, I’m game for a new Scorsese anything.

I think Scorsese at this old age now is far more in line with a believer. I think he has far less doubts about God than his younger self did at that point, which makes sense and to be honest, this doesn't excite me at all. I'm far more interested in Paul Verhoeven's Jesus movie, which may or may not be made. Read up on that and you will understand my excitement, especially after his last masterpiece, Benedetta.

I'm interested but at the same time if everyone is using the same source material, how many Jesus films can you make that isn't just retreading over the ones already made?

I think Scorsese at this old age now is far more in line with a believer. I think he has far less doubts about God than his younger self did at that point, which makes sense and to be honest, this doesn't excite me at all. I'm far more interested in Paul Verhoeven's Jesus movie, which may or may not be made. Read up on that and you will understand my excitement, especially after his last masterpiece, Benedetta.
I see your point. I just don't see Scorsese playing the Jesus story so completely straight.

Perhaps, he is writing a script for this concept that he's talked about for years?

"And immediately I thought of making a film of the Gospel, but set on the Lower East Side, in the tenements, in modern dress,” the director explained in a wide-ranging conversation with Commonweal. “And the crucifixion would be on the West Side docks, and in black-and-white. And then I saw Pasolini’s ‘Gospel,’ and I said, ‘No, there’s no way for me to do it.’ ”

“Jesus said—when they complained about him, when they said, ‘Look, he’s hanging around with alcoholics, prostitutes, tax collectors,’ and they asked him why he would do that—he said, ‘Well, the ones who are good, they don’t need the doctor, basically.’ And so I always wondered: what about where I grew up, in the Bowery? What about the people who were dying in front of me, the alcoholics who were dying in the streets? What about the underworld? What about the people who wound up doing bad things, but they’re really genuinely good people? What if we do a film, and Jesus is here, on 8th Avenue?” Scorsese said, explaining his vision for the film.
Martin Scorsese Talks His Unmade Jesus In New York Movie & More

Could be interesting!

That does sound different. :)

Last Temptation of Christ is a great film, and I am not religious. So I would be down to see Marty do it. I will watch anything he does

How about Jesus fasting for 40 days in the desert and being tempted by Satan? That could be interesting.

How about Jesus fasting for 40 days in the desert and being tempted by Satan? That could be interesting.
Didn't they make a movie with Ewan McGregor as Jesus around exactly that, a few years ago?

Didn't they make a movie with Ewan McGregor as Jesus around exactly that, a few years ago?
Yep. That and Dafoe are the only White Jesuses I tolerate :o

Speaking of which, it'll be interesting to see how Marty casts this. His recent judgment calls definitely point to getting historically accurate casting this time around (if it is indeed a historical picture, and not a re-imagining of "Jesus in New York")

I think Terrence Malick’s next film is based around 40 days in the desert and several other episodes of Jesus’s life. Mark Rylance playing Satan.

Yeah there are a lot of those and I just don't know what another straight-forward adaptation can offer by now. If this one is not, then I might be interested.
Yep. That and Dafoe are the only White Jesuses I tolerate :o
Hey, Robert Powell is still king! :argh:

I think Terrence Malick’s next film is based around 40 days in the desert and several other episodes of Jesus’s life. Mark Rylance playing Satan.

If it’s Malick, it will FEEL like it’s 40 days long. But that’s kinda what makes his movies work so I’m down for it. It will look amazing, of that I’m sure.

I see your point. I just don't see Scorsese playing the Jesus story so completely straight.

Perhaps, he is writing a script for this concept that he's talked about for years?

Martin Scorsese Talks His Unmade Jesus In New York Movie & More

Could be interesting!

I also came upon a book about Jesus written in the 70s that was going to be a flick, but never got made. I've seen it pop up in recommendations elsewhere, but finally took a look. Story is about a man from the 70s who time travels to meet ''Jesus''...That premise alone got me hooked and ordered the book, but will let yall know when I eventually read it.

There was also a Joaquin Phoenix Jesus movie done not that long ago. I havent seen it and nobody else did either. Ha.

I also came upon a book about Jesus written in the 70s that was going to be a flick, but never got made. I've seen it pop up in recommendations elsewhere, but finally took a look. Story is about a man from the 70s who time travels to meet ''Jesus''...That premise alone got me hooked and ordered the book, but will let yall know when I eventually read it.
If you don’t mind me asking, for those of us that are curious and want to order & read it, can you please can you tell us what the book is called or even it’s author…?

If you don’t mind me asking, for those of us that are curious and want to order & read it, can you please can you tell us what the book is called or even it’s author…?

V2333_1.jpg

I really like The Last Temptation of Christ because it took a more “realistic” approach to Jesus as a historical figure and explored the challenges of basic human desire. What else can be said without going the opposite direction which is pretty much every other film we’ve seen to date about JC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"