Scorsese’s Jesus Film

Thank you, might check it out.

There is also another book, which my memory is iffy on the title at the moment. It is a series of conversations between: Jesus, Satan, The AntiCrhist, Man, but we the reader never know who is saying what, it is up for interpretation.

There is also another book, which my memory is iffy on the title at the moment. It is a series of conversations between: Jesus, Satan, The AntiCrhist, Man, but we the reader never know who is saying what, it is up for interpretation.
Thanks for that, sounds interesting. It you happen to remember its name, please let me know!!

I love how the runtime is already decided upon, as if to say "Listen, I know my last two movies were ass-numbingly long so here's one that's roughly the same length as a Disney movie from the 1950's as a change of pace."

That's practically a short -- for Scorsese at least.
*Looks at your avatar*
*Looks at thread title*

giphy.gif

Was hoping Scorsese and Garfield would work together again. Great news. Silence was a masterpiece.

If either of these 2 actors are cast as Jesus, I won't be watching this.

Several years ago, the following picture circulated — a speculative recreation of what Jesus probably looked like.

jesus-bbc.jpeg

Obviously, no one really knows. But it's quite plausible he'd be "swarthy," “Mediterranean,” semitic, etc. And a far cry from Max von Sydow, Jeffery Hunter and any number of Anglo-Saxon-y depictions typically found in Renaissance paintings. I’ve often wondered how (say) the average Southern Baptist would react to a mainstream movie in which the founder of Christianity actually looked ethnically Jewish.

That said… if Scorsese’s film is set in modern-day New York, there’s a certain “logic” to Jesus blending in as a native (just as the ethnic/historical Jesus was native to Palestine). Though, admittedly, modern NYC is rather multicultural. So a white Jesus isn’t the only choice.

It’s a bit ironic if Garfield or Teller play Jesus because Scorsese seemed cognizant of representation in more of his recent films—as well as their historical accuracy. So to turn around and make a modern story about Jesus played by a white guy seems a bit tone deaf.

At least they’re both Jewish so it’s in the right direction lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"