Scream 6

I refrained from saying this but I agree. They're gonna tie scream 7 back to the first film and attempt to put a bow on the franchise. Stu seems like the obvious answer in all of this.

I will say, I'm really happy Kevin Williamson is getting to direct. It's a full circle moment for him.
All we can do now is hope for a satisfying Scream film.

I'm happy for him getting the opportunity to go full circle, I just hope he's up to the task of directing it. Radio Silence really raised the bar with 5 and 6 especially. But it definitely adds an interesting element to have Williamson more directly involved with this one.

I'm still upset about what happened to Melissa/Jenna, but I hope people don't take out their frustrations on Kevin or the writers here. What happened with them was not any of the creatives' decision. I think we have a situation here where the original creator is stepping in to try and save this trainwreck, hopefully just by making a really good movie with a more direct tie to the originals. Hopefully they can address the sisters' absence in a way that is respectful and leaves the door open for them to return in a future film if Spyglass ever gets their heads out of their *ss.

Even Kevin Williamson's involvement as director is strange outside of being fan service. He's not credited as having written or been involved in the story, but he is directing. He has only directed one (horrible) movie over 2 decades ago.

Yeah, I’d personally prefer some new exciting blood. That’s where we were originally getting, but this just seems like a quick bone being thrown at the fans.

Even Kevin Williamson's involvement as director is strange outside of being fan service. He's not credited as having written or been involved in the story, but he is directing. He has only directed one (horrible) movie over 2 decades ago.

It's dumb fan service if that's the idea, because that's the one element that I'm currently LEAST confident about haha. I'd like to think that maybe he wanted to step up as some form of protecting the movie from further executive meddling, being that he's also a producer on it and has some industry pedigree.

But it's also unfortunately possible that Spyglass threw a bunch of money at him so they could market it as being "from the original creator..." to try and win people back.

I'm just going to have to stay in wait and see mode for the time being.

Man, that would be so lame and desperate.

Look, I've personally been of the belief that this narrative has been heavily hinted at since Scream 5 and I personally do/did want to see Lillard return, but I know it's always been divisive in the fanbase. But I didn't want it to happen under these circumstances, where they basically have no viable options left. Because that's what it would be at this point. Why else bring Sidney back? It's the only thing that makes sense if you're going to bring back Sidney and not the other new characters, unless they go full New Nightmare meta on this thing.

Last edited:
Also, regardless of what people thought about them directing at the time, Winter Soldier wasn't plagued with controversy surrounding a studio getting rid of its lead over their political views posted online.

It’s not the first time a studio has removed an actor over their political beliefs and/or crazy social media postings. Has everyone forgotten the Roseanne debacle?

I’m not putting Barrera in the same boat as Roseanne (Barrera is well meaning and not crazy like Barr is), but there is precedent.

I’m torn. Love Neve (get your cash), but can Kevin direct? And after they f’d Melissa…

The comments under Neve's IG post...hoo boy.

It’s not the first time a studio has removed an actor over their political beliefs and/or crazy social media postings. Has everyone forgotten the Roseanne debacle?

I’m not putting Barrera in the same boat as Roseanne (Barrera is well meaning and not crazy like Barr is), but there is precedent.
What disparaging remarks did Barrera make towards a specific person that warranted Spyglass sacking her? The two are not comparable at all.

I have to vent for a moment and list all the reasons this sucks..

-It sucks what happened to Melissa.
-It sucks that both Jenna and Melissa are out.
-It sucks that Christopher Landon had to exit his dream project.
-It sucks that after decades of never being compensated adequately for the value she brought to this franchise, Neve finally gets the bag she deserves, but it’s under these circumstances where she’s going to have an army of comment warriors (many of whom likely weren’t even born when the original movie came out) attempting to tear her down for simply playing her most iconic role.

It all just sucks. I myself have very mixed feelings about what is going on here, but people’s anger should be directed at the studio and not the creatives or actors. Especially not the people who made this franchise what it is. I loved Jenna and Melissa’s contributions to Scream in 5 and 6, but the franchise IS still bigger than them even though what happened was f***ed. Neve is still THE scream queen. I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that if she signed on, it’s not just for the money and it’s also because she sees potential in the story and how it treats Sidney’s character. She deserves that benefit of the doubt. We also have no idea how this movie even handles the absence of the sisters. There’s a lot we still don’t know that people should stop to consider before rushing to such harsh judgments.

Last edited:
What disparaging remarks did Barrera make towards a specific person that warranted Spyglass sacking her? The two are not comparable at all.

I said Barrera wasn't in the same boat as Barr-- I just pointed out that there was precedent. Even though it was wrong headed as it was for Spyglass to fire her.

I hope Neve doesn't start to get less enthused because of the comments under her post. Everybody has mixed feelings one way or another, but I do know this. Neve cares about the character and has always been reluctant to return since Cravens death because of how her character might be handled. As @BatLobster said, she must've seen something that gave her confidence in the script and I'm not one to write something off so easily because it's just not fair to all those involved. I love Scream, so there's that too.

I hope Neve doesn't start to get less enthused because of the comments under her post. Everybody has mixed feelings one way or another, but I do know this. Neve cares about the character and has always been reluctant to return since Cravens death because of how her character might be handled. As @BatLobster said, she must've seen something that gave her confidence in the script and I'm not one to write something off so easily because it's just not fair to all those involved. I love Scream, so there's that too.

And directing abilities aside, I have to believe that Kevin Williamson genuinely believes in what they’re doing which should count for something. I just don’t see two people who we KNOW care so much about this character just doing a studio’s bidding for a payday.

As someone who disliked Scream VI, I’m fine with this lol

I don’t think the new characters really caught on the way the Sidney trio originally did. I think Scream 5 balanced that much better.

And F the toxic fans who are attacking her. Not a good look.

I’m so glad Neve is back and that she got the payday she asked for. I never really warmed up to the new cast members like Barrera or Ortega so I’m fine with them not being there.

I get some folks are wary about Williamson directing but remember how people were wary of the Russo Brothers directing a Marvel film back in 2013?

And history has proven, that yes, they are bad directors.

As someone who disliked Scream VI, I’m fine with this lol

I don’t think the new characters really caught on the way the Sidney trio originally did. I think Scream 5 balanced that much better.

And F the toxic fans who are attacking her. Not a good look.

And yet, Scream 6 did the best of them all. I think the new cast, especially Ortega, is a bigger draw than Neve will be. Especially since she ain't going to have a lot of returning actors as well.

And history has proven, that yes, they are bad directors.

And yet, Scream 6 did the best of them all. I think the new cast, especially Ortega, is a bigger draw than Neve will be. Especially since she ain't going to have a lot of returning actors as well.

At the bare minimum I’d expect Courtney Cox, Patrick Dempsey and Hayden Panettiere…

We also never saw Sidney interact with the twins. She could have a great relationship with them and maybe one or both will feature?

Being that Kirby is another Kevin Williamson creation, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hayden return again.

I don’t think the new characters really caught on the way the Sidney trio originally did.
The 'core four' was always a bit

tenor.gif

Their dialogue often has me either fast-forwarding or putting it on mute for small bursts.

It's true that Ortega's character was the only one that interested me out of the new ones. But the fact that they were building a third movie with them and now they're all gone bothers me, even if I could ignore the reason Spyglass torpedoed it, which I can't.

From a storytelling standpoint, they're gonna have to work hard trying to make sense out of their absence and Sidney coming back. They successfully swayed away from the original characters and now they're forced to come back to them. They better make it work.

I also expect Patrick Dempsey to be coming back for this one, totally shifting the series to Sidney's POV. I heard an interesting pitch-- what if the seventh movie was taking place at the same exact time as the events of Scream 6, or at least overlapping? That would actually be a really clever way to write out all the new characters without solidifying their fates in any way- the only problem is you'd also pretty much be writing out Gale and Kirby too.

It's a longshot, but I thought it was somewhat interesting.

I also expect Patrick Dempsey to be coming back for this one, totally shifting the series to Sidney's POV. I heard an interesting pitch-- what if the seventh movie was taking place at the same exact time as the events of Scream 6, or at least overlapping? That would actually be a really clever way to write out all the new characters without solidifying their fates in any way- the only problem is you'd also pretty much be writing out Gale and Kirby too.

It's a longshot, but I thought it was somewhat interesting.
Maybe have a crossover with Roth's Thanksgiving. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"