Strange New Worlds SEASON 1, EPISODE 2: "Children of the Comet" (SPOILERS)

Sadly, I must agree with this review.
279694833_534719768268760_8375233745614264027_n.png

:o

Classic Trek mission.
Looks like there is no fake alcohol on Enterprise, they drink wine and whiskey.
It’s also a relief that the characters don’t whisper all their lines.

Which one is the lesbian?

I have noticed that the bridge crew is made up of almost all women though.

I fell asleep during this latest episode as I was so tired. Didn't really understand much of what was going on. Didn't think the idea of them visiting a comet was all that interesting though. It felt reminiscent of that first season episode of Star Trek: Enterprise with the crew visiting an asteroid. From visiting exotic planets to visiting a barren piece of rock. :dry:

Why wasn't Number One leading the away mission? She should have more to do in each episode. She feels a bit in the background at the moment. I was hoping she'd be more prominent than Spock.

Also M'Benga didn't seem to feature at all in this latest episode unless I missed it. I do like Nurse Chapel though. She's cute.

I was surprised that both number 1 and the captain stayed on the ship. Usually you would either send down one or the other with the landing party on this mission. I know they had Spock but he isn't the number 1. There needs to be someone there especially if the mission might involve first contact. You would want some authority figure present in case you are separated from the ship or need to speak on the captain's behalf. Although I did find it funny that in TOS they always sent their main characters down with the landing party so you know who was going to survive. But this show has the same problem since they have alot of characters that we know don't die here.

I am waiting for number 1 to actually do something. The trailer for the next episode looks like she will be leading the landing party so we might get something from her.

I really enjoyed this episode. Felt much like classic Trek with a combo of adventure, risks, dilemmas and a slight philosofical discourse at the end. And a classic unreasonable stubborn sob threatning them on screen as well lol. Spock was way better for me here than last episode, and I like how we got to know Uhura's character here. Also a great happy ending with the "improved" planet. Positive uplifting stuff I've been missing for quite some time with Trek in recent years.

Last edited:
I personally wish the show had fully embraced the theremin for its main theme. Commit!!!
Yeah, I feel like the theme doesn't know what it wants to be. It has elements of the more experimental 60s TOS theme, elements of the more soaring orchestral themes of the TNG era, and as well as more modern scoring elements, particularly in the percussion. I feel like they don't gel together effectively. And the style of the theme is rather different than the incidental music used during the actual episodes. If they change anything about titles for season 2, I hope they find a theme that better suits the series' voice.

I say ditch the more modern percussion and embrace the more psychedelic 60s elements (theremin included) and soaring orchestral elements. The show is very much a best of both worlds of combining the fun and interpersonal dynamics of TOS and and the worldbuilding and other advances from the TNG-era. That is what the theme music should reflect IMO.

The march like percussion is more evocative of Discovery and Picard's attempts to follow current TV trends and should stay on those shows.

I personally wish the show had fully embraced the theremin for its main theme. Commit!!!
I think it'd be cool if the theme got changed a little bit every time another TOS character joined the crew and it slowly evolved into a new version of the classic theme. And yes, more theremin.

I've seen it stated on fb and other forums and I have to agree: Uhura got more character development in this one episode than in her entire on screen existence up to this point. :funny:...:csad:

I've seen it stated on fb and other forums and I have to agree: Uhura got more character development in this one episode than in her entire on screen existence up to this point. :funny:...:csad:
And it was good!

Yeah, I feel like the theme doesn't know what it wants to be. It has elements of the more experimental 60s TOS theme, elements of the more soaring orchestral themes of the TNG era, and as well as more modern scoring elements, particularly in the percussion. I feel like they don't gel together effectively. And the style of the theme is rather different than the incidental music used during the actual episodes. If they change anything about titles for season 2, I hope they find a theme that better suits the series' voice.

I say ditch the more modern percussion and embrace the more psychedelic 60s elements (theremin included) and soaring orchestral elements. The show is very much a best of both worlds of combining the fun and interpersonal dynamics of TOS and and the worldbuilding and other advances from the TNG-era. That is what the theme music should reflect IMO.

The march like percussion is more evocative of Discovery and Picard's attempts to follow current TV trends and should stay on those shows.

It is interesting if you look at Discovery, Prodigy, and SNW's op, and you can see the similarities. Lower Decks goes with a more traditional, variant of TNG's theme, but it is useful to compare to the others. I don't have the musical knowledge to correctly describe what I am hearing, but there is a similar flow to those themes. They are not bad themes, and SNW's is great. Just needs a bit of work, imo.

Which one is the lesbian?
Considering the person was an obvious bigot working off stereotypes, they are probably assuming Ortegas is.

I have noticed that the bridge crew is made up of almost all women though.
Not only are there now more women then men on the bridge, they even let them have ideas now too! :eek:

I fell asleep during this latest episode as I was so tired. Didn't really understand much of what was going on. Didn't think the idea of them visiting a comet was all that interesting though. It felt reminiscent of that first season episode of Star Trek: Enterprise with the crew visiting an asteroid. From visiting exotic planets to visiting a barren piece of rock. :dry:

Why wasn't Number One leading the away mission? She should have more to do in each episode. She feels a bit in the background at the moment. I was hoping she'd be more prominent than Spock.

Also M'Benga didn't seem to feature at all in this latest episode unless I missed it. I do like Nurse Chapel though. She's cute.
I assume for variety and the story they decided to tell. La'an is probably going to be the one who goes on the most away missions, with a lot of mixing and matching for character and story purposes.

I also assume she is going to get Worfed a lot.
Let's pretend, for a moment, I don't know what that means - and I absolutely, definitely know what it means - explain it to me like I'm six? :o

It's funny because that is how Worf's son is on DS9. Like father like son.

Yeah, I really liked that again. It felt very classic Trek, and again, while it presents a dire situation, it never makes the show feel dire. Pike has his solemn moments, but on the bridge, he's just so laid back. Uhura was a beam of sunshine, and La'an, the straight laced one, is every bit as fun and engaging. I just wished she has sung! :argh:

Two things that made me oddly laugh this episode. When they first arrived on the comet, all I could see was Prometheus, followed by the first trailer for Mass Effect Andromeda. The scene looked ripped right from those two. Which honestly, was incredibly impressive. Neither of those looked cheap in the least.

Also, if Chapel's entire thing is going to be her being absolutely adorable every episode, she's going to murder me with that smile. :o

Haha yeah I totally got Prometheus vibes (only this was actually good) when they were on the comet, especially when Sam did the “stupid human in Prometheus” thing and touched the orb.

And I really like how they are handling Pike’s knowledge of his fate. Like you said, he’s laid back when he’s in front of the crew (or as much as he can be) but with Una, we get glimpses of how much it’s weighing on him. I like that he knows the names of the people he will eventually save and understands that the situation has to play out the way it does because if not, they will likely all die. Though I do wonder if he’s going to be tempted to orchestrate things differently so that those kids are never in that situation. That won’t work unless this show is going to enter into a new timeline, but I don’t think they will do that.

This episode uses some of the Paradise Syndrome plot with the asteroid. TOS Season 3 episode 3, check it out. There is more to the story but I won't spoil it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"