Luke Cage Season 1, Episode 9 "DWYCK" (USE SPOILER TAGS!)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
rjOZM1K.png

wfkESZN.png

7kDFluZ.png

Seeing Diamondback throw a knife was a pretty nice nod to the books

I love how they worked what is probably the most famous line from Gang Starr's "Dwyck" into this episode's dialogue:

"Lemonade was a popular drink."

"And it still is." :woot:

[YT]OcnSXnTynyE[/YT]

Just started episode 9, and I have a really hard time buying Stryker as Shades' boss. With his heavy-handed approach versus the quiet, Machiavellian manipulation Shades has been rolling out all season, there's no way I don't see Diamondback double-crossed by Shades and left dead in a ditch by end of episode 10.

There are three stories, so I'll address them in turn:

The first is the political aspect. This may be the episode I'd point to, in some ways, to describe the show. It's easy enough to say "what politics" since it's honestly subtle, but it shows in two ways. The first is Luke with the hoodie getting shot by a police officer. The cool thing was that he turned to shield the police officer against the one who panicked and shot (or who used force before other options, depending on your perspective). There's very much a "what if everyone else was bulletproof" question floating (as well as pointing out that an officer would likely have been killed in the line of fire but for Luke's actions). The second is with Misty Knight. The psychiatrist is a former police officer who obviously has studied her background well before the interrogation. He's using police interrogation techniques (telling her the foregone conclusion and telling her to get there, etc.), but there's also a chance he means well. At a minimum, he's trying to get her to change her mindset to go after Luke. Simone Missick's acting here is wonderful. The show gets compared to The Wire, but the scene where she bears her soul reminds me a lot of the other show inspired by David Simon's work: Homicide: Life on the Streets. That show used a lot of handheld cameras to film and many times a person's dialogue would jump from cut to cut after each sentence in a way that's jarring in a good way. Really quite tremendous.

The second story is Diamondback (and, to a lesser extent, Mariah). First off, I'm surprised the police didn't run Luminol in the upstairs room because the number of blood samples must be crazy at this point. Second, speaking of crazy, Diamondback is over the top. I honestly expected him to be a minor presence since Cottonmouth was promoted as the main baddie, but his presence here is great. Mariah is good too. She wants to get out, but Diamondback is going to prevent that. On the other hand, her political involvement is certainly still in it. The show is frustratingly ambiguous on when it takes place (it seems to take place during some Autumn after Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season Two, but that's about it). Ironically for Alfre Woodard, she could easily be the person who inspires the Sokovia Accords in both Luke Cage and Captain America: Civil War. Certainly, it's an interesting role. I'm hoping she makes it through the season because she adds a lot.

The third is saving Luke Cage. I liked that they brought in Dr. Burstein. He still seems well-meaning enough, but I like that he's not as sweet grandfatherly as he is in the comics. The science fits decently, it reveals more about Luke's past, and the cliffhanger at the end made it hard to pause so I can write this review.

Five Stars.

ETA: Not sure why I said Cook, but fixed.

Last edited:
I'm loving Diamondback. Stryker is over the top crazy but in a entertaining way. He is very flamboyant and feels like he is Luke Cage joker or Loki in the show. He randomly pops up and causes chaos like Heath Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight. Liked the comic nod with Dimondback's trademark throwing knives.

You buy or you die!

That Acid bath, Sweet Christmas! :viw:

Mariah Dillard's plan for Diamondback to sell Hammer's weapons t take out enhanced people is sound. Villains often have convoluted or dumb plans in fiction but these plans actually seem credible for the universe they have shown.

Mariah keeps trying to shrug off the legacy of Mama Mable but she is her true heir not her cousin Cottonmouth. I think Mariah will eventually embrace her villainous side like Fisk did. Both characters think what they do is for the greater good and try to fight their dark sides.

The Chinese gang downtown they mentioned was probably Madame Gao's crew from Iron Fist.

It was nice to get a little background into Misty and the scene between Luke and the cops was pretty cool.

I also didn't think Claire was going to have this big of a role in the show, so that has been a nice surprise for me.

I love how they worked what is probably the most famous line from Gang Starr's "Dwyck" into this episode's dialogue:

"Lemonade was a popular drink."

"And it still is." :woot:

Heh, heh. After they said it I laughed to myself wondering how much of the audience wouldn't get it.

The actor who played Dr. Bernstein was on Agents of SHIELD as another character. He was Simmons' superior when Simmons (and Bobbi) were undercover for HYDRA in season three.

The actor who played Dr. Bernstein was on Agents of SHIELD as another character. He was Simmons' superior when Simmons (and Bobbi) were undercover for HYDRA in season three.

No, that wasn't the same guy.

Yeah, Adam Kulbersh vs. Michael Kostroff. Sorry, I was going to post that earlier, but I couldn't figure out which thread it was in.

I'm loving
Diamondback so far. Haha. Also Luke is actually hurt!! :wow: :csad:

Diamondback is hilariously over the top.

I have a feeling Reva is gonna end up looking worse by the end of this show.

Does the show get better?

I'm halfway through this episode and I'm beyond bored to death with this show. Almost a whole hour devoted to Cage bleeding and Misty being evaluated.

Soooooooooooo boring.

Diamondback is hilariously over the top.

I have a feeling Reva is gonna end up looking worse by the end of this show.
Yeah lol. Him and Shades working together seems like a funny match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"