Jessica Jones Season 2, Episode 1 "AKA Start at the Beginning"

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Jessica_Jones_201_English.jpg

Discuss Episode 1 of Season 2, "AKA Start at the Beginning" here.

ANY SPOILERS FOR EPISODES BEYOND THIS ONE MUST BE TAGGED.

Last edited:
Simpson didn't have his facepaint. :(

I was kinda hoping we were done with Simpson, tbh.

Still, good first ep. :up:

Nice to ease back into JJ world.

I don't know who the villain of this season is going to be but some nice early build up.

I like the part where some dude complimented JJ on her "nice ass" and then gets some nice action in the toilet not long after.

If real world was like that.......it would be awesome.. :yay:

I like the part where some dude complimented JJ on her "nice ass" and then gets some nice action in the toilet not long after.

If real world was like that.......it would be awesome.. :yay:

Well, she does have a nice ass...

I'm annoyed a little bit so far. I hate when super heroes are whiney and sulking over being amazing super heros. Give the powers to Trish omg Jessica is annoying

I'm a bit late to the party here. As promised, I have a brand new cocktail for this new season that's perfect for Jessica Jones:

2bd99a3320ccaecece8e_2.jpg

Just kidding, I don't want to die. ;)

More seriously, I decided to go with an Aviation. The goal was to copy the color scheme of Jessica Jones - so a purple or blue cocktail.

2bd99a3320ccaecece8e_1.jpg

1 1/2 oz Gin
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Creme de Violette
1/2 oz Maraschino Liqueur

I may have doubled the recipe, which, in retrospect, was probably a mistake.

Now for my review:
I have to say that Jessica Jones's opening may be one of my favorites. It does a great job of having this detective-y/noir-ish vibe while also being very true to the David Mack covers that we saw in Alias and her current series. I like the introduction to Jessica's journey with an investigation in the classic detective voiceover. The story quickly establishes that she's a PI, but she's a superhero vigilante that doesn't want to be classified as a superhero vigilante. And she kileld someone.

Trish's efforts are interesting. She is trying to get Jess to investigate her past, but is sinking to lower and lower lows to do it. Pretending to be Patsy again isn't too bad (have to admit, I enjoy all throwbacks to Patsy Walker), but the family ashes is cold. There's definitely a sense that her actions are driving Jessica to new lows. Speaking of throwbacks (not new lows), we get possibly the most unexpected cameo: The Whizzer. I love that they somehow manage to incorporate a Mongoose. I'm really happy that he isn't entirely a joke character who's crazy. He does, in fact, have super speed. This season is probably going to get a positive review for that throwback alone.

The other PI isn't particularly interesting yet, but I'm glad to see Hogarth. I love the speech that she gave about female lawyers and "good enough." I'm sure I've said before that I'm a lawyer and the sexism in the field hits home. More importantly, there seems to be a conscious allusion to the TV industry. This season is entirely directed by female directors. Are we going to say "good enough for a woman" or acknowledge that they made the right call?

The final two moments I want to comment on are these: Jessica with the ashes is a genuinely sad moment. Krysten Ritter's performance is great overall. Her witty banter makes her more fun than any other character, but that moment of sadness really sells it. Second, the final investigation into IGH is genuinely creepy, while setting up intriguing moments to come. As of this moment, I'm sold on this particular story. Hopefully the execution - particularly with this "monster" will be worthwhile.

Stray notes:
Jessica noted that heroes die. This feels almost certainly a reference to Daredevil and is a nice bit of continuity.
The whole assault thing was resolved shockingly quickly. I wonder if New York has some kind of diversion or Probation before Judgment or if there was at least a mini-time jump.
I like Trish's British boyfriend. He might contribute to her character arc, but a normal relationship is good to see regardless.

Four and a Half Stars.

I thought it was an ok opening.

I'm liking it. Good start so far. :)

If I am honest, the first three episodes have not grabbed me.

This episode... It's nice seeing Jessica back, and getting into the groove of her world but I don't know... This first episode seemed very lifeless and stilted. Trish and Jessica's roof top heart to heart felt very "writers' room" to me. The overarching idea of the season was rather indelicately dropped on us there.

I think that I just have to trust in the show's team though. Last season was one that had me scratching my head at times too and for the most part (not including those twins) it paid off. Still... It's not a good sign for me that at even under an hour this episode took me a couple days to bother to get through.

Nice callback moment: when Trish thinks she spots Simpson in a hoodie in the crowd outside a gala and starts mindlessly walking towards a revolving door, Griffin stops her, asks her if she's okay, and Trish replies, "Yeah, I, um, I thought I--I saw someone I knew."

In 1x04, that was the exact same thing Jessica said to Trish when she was spooked by seeing a man pointing a camera in her direction, thinking it was the person Kilgrave was making take pictures of her, only for it to turn out to be a man taking a picture of his wife: "Yeah, I just thought I saw someone I knew."

Not a coincidence.

Couldn't Jessica have made a case against Cheng and avoided anger management class? When she was at his office he was being a prick and then closed off her exit from his office. That could have been seen as threatening and she was "defending" herself, especially after he pulled a taser.

Wasn't she trespassing on his property? Makes it harder for her to claim self-defense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"