Iron Fist Season Two, Episode 5 "Heart of the Dragon"

Mike Murdock

Avenger
Reaction score
Episode Five

Use Spoiler Tags for any discussion beyond this episode

d1d1f21c92035b1735aa_4.jpg

There's a new Iron Fist in town, and he's itching to make his presence felt. Meanwhile, Ward calls in a favor, and Joy considers her options.

Good opening to this episode. They're not beating around the bush of what Davos can do now and what he's going to do. It's great seeing him so threatening. Throughout the series, while closely matched, I think Davos has shown himself the more skilled fighter while Danny had the advantage of the Iron Fist. I'm amazed that we're only five episodes in because we've had a lot happen and the stealing of the Iron Fist (which I figured would happen at some point) happened with half a season to go.

Of course, the season might end up slower now that Danny is injured and recovering. Certainly, this episode had a more meloncholy approach to Danny getting to reflect with Ward. Even then, the conversation about addiction was nice (even if the "dragon" metaphor is obvious). Plus, while Danny is down, we can see the Daughters of the Dragon team up! Misty and Colleen were a lot of fun together. I don't think Danny and Misty make a ton of sense in this universe, but Misty and Colleen are still great as a team.

Joy's story was a bit shoe-horned into this season. I don't think her motivations are ideal, but they're not entirely wrong. It's easy to blame Ward for what's wrong in her life and it's not that hard to see Danny as complicit. I think it makes less sense to target Danny, but the opportunity is more present with Davos reaching out to her. Her moments of doubt are a nice touch to not go too crazy. Mary gives a nice intensity that added a nice action scene at the end.

Four and a Half Stars.

"What's a 616?" "Possible suspect with abilities." That line was amazing.

"What's a 616?" "Possible suspect with abilities." That line was amazing.
Yeah I loved that.

The Misty/Colleen duo remain the best aspect of this little corner of the Marvel/Netflix universe, imo.

I was afraid that Davos would be rocking the Iron Fist mask for real. His mom is cold-blooded.

I laughed at Mary being all “Yeah... be careful with Davos. He’s creepy creepy, man.” While being all creepy creepy herself.

I laugh at the kid saying he isn’t stupid when everything he did was in fact stupid. Like you got a billionaire and you want to give him to some gang. When that didn’t work out, you wanted $50. When you got a cop with gun pointed at you, you ask if she’ll shoot you. What?

Happy that Misty was like “Uh, what if Joy’s working with Davos?” And they learned she was right.

Ward and Danny were nice together. As was Misty and Colleen.

I laugh at the kid saying he isn’t stupid when everything he did was in fact stupid. Like you got a billionaire and you want to give him to some gang. When that didn’t work out, you wanted $50.

They thought Danny only worked in shipping. He didn't tell them who he really was.

Best episode so far. Curious where Davos got his ceremonial assistants form last episode.

They thought Danny only worked in shipping. He didn't tell them who he really was.

Best episode so far. Curious where Davos got his ceremonial assistants form last episode.
Yeah, but it wasn’t like Danny was hiding who he really was. Those kids were supposed to know things about what goes down in their neighborhood, no? I think having someone like Danny living there would be something they would know.

This season is moving a lot quicker than season 1, and also quicker than Luke Cafe and Punisher.

Why couldn't they get Claire? I know she's fallen out with Luke but that doesn't mean she can't help others out.

If Mary Walker can beat Danny then can she beat Davos?

Claire moved across the country, if I recall...she isn't around to help anyone.

And Mary beat Danny because he wasn't fighting back at all until after she drugged him.

The 616 was cheap fan service. I'm done with giving Marvel tv praise for such tactics. Write a good story so you dont have to trick people into cheering for stupid references to comic book insider stuff.

The Davos development storyline is good. I like all the flashbacks...it's helping to fix some of last season. In fact, this entire season seems to be an attempt yo fix last season's errors...which means that, by necessity, this season has to practically drown in those mistakes...but at least they are HOPEFULLY moving past them and can rest for season 3.

Further...Davos is now the Iron Fist...and has made it his mission to wipe out the crime gangs. I'm sorry...why is that a problem? Why should he be stopped? These gangs are killers...I say let Davos end them and then...well...good job, man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"