Should Marvel Get The Rights Back To All It's Characters?

Eh, I think Marvel Studios could, *in theory*, increase to three, or even four, movies a year. . . *if* they got all the rights back ( implicitly meaning that all the other Marvel movies from other companies are no longer taking up release time ), and *if* they did so as part of a gradual ramp up, so they can build and prove capability.

It would be a *big* risk, though, as it means Feige and Whedon would be twice as divided. Without the godfathering, its unclear they could retain their current "editorial hand."

Both Uncle Ben's were great. I liked TASM's more because they portrayed him more as his guardian than his father (Peter's Parents angle). I also found the scene where Uncle Ben tells Gwen than Peter has her on his computer pretty funny.

I wouldn't really say either was better. I just liked Martin Sheen's more.
Also, teenagers DO argue with their guardians a lot. It doesn't mean that they don't love them, it just is part of growing up. Also, Peter was under a lot of stress at the time. The dynamic was much better in TASM because it felt like a REAL relationship between REAL people and not a overly idealized stereotype among caricatures. Also, the quipping was MUCH better in TASM. I never bought Tobey's Peter's jokes, they just sounded awkward. That was probably mostly the writing, I never saw that Peter being the kind of guy to make jokes, again due to the writing mostly. Garfield's was much more believable.

I think Marvel is fine with where everything stands. They have their plates full with their planned movies and other studios offer variety in the films and they get a cut of the other franchises too. It's a win win.

Eh, I think Marvel Studios could, *in theory*, increase to three, or even four, movies a year. . . *if* they got all the rights back ( implicitly meaning that all the other Marvel movies from other companies are no longer taking up release time ), and *if* they did so as part of a gradual ramp up, so they can build and prove capability.

It would be a *big* risk, though, as it means Feige and Whedon would be twice as divided. Without the godfathering, its unclear they could retain their current "editorial hand."

Excellent point, that's where the quality would go down. The other thing is, it's not like the other studios would just stop releasing big blockbuster movies because they don't have Marvel's stuff. They would make other sci-fi/adventure/fantasy films and big budget action movies, which would provide just as much competition for Marvel Studios as far as release dates and targeting the general audience.

Sony will never say "Oh, we don't have Spider-Man, so I guess we just shouldn't make big budget action movies or go for that early may slot."

Put ASM3 in the weekend before Avengers 2 and see what happens to Spidey's ticket sales. Marvel/Disney are now the kings of the mountain.

No.

Marvel shouldn't get the rights back. I shudder to think what would happen if they got their hands on Spidey and the X-Men. We will soon see them work their Rumpelstiltskin act on GotG and Ant-Man by turning those minnow franchises into whales, so do I even dare ask what they could do with giants like Spidey and X-Men? I can only imagine that people would deem those films the greatest of all time if they were shepherded by :hrt:that studio:hrt:. The tidal wave of love and downright awesomeness would have the potential to destroy coastlines in mere seconds....

In all seriousness, there simply wouldn't be enough theaters on the planet to satisfy the mass hysteria that the Marvel/Disney marketing machine™ would no doubt create. That great frustration alone would inevitably make people's minds implode. Eventually it would turn them into parasites and they would devour the flesh of their fellow man, woman and child. No thanks to that says this citizen of the world. Keep Spider-Man and the X-Men at their respective studios and let mankind continue on with its struggle. Icarus is a great example that we should not get too close to the sun.

Yeah... y'all are nuts. I'm glad I get to see some heroes on the screen other than the top 5 properties, and I'm glad I don't have to wait 5-6 years between sequels. I'm also glad Marvel Studios doesn't spread themselves to thin. Have fun with your fantasy alternate world where none of these problems matter.

Put ASM3 in the weekend before Avengers 2 and see what happens to Spidey's ticket sales. Marvel/Disney are now the kings of the mountain.

"It is a foolish king who inspires all his enemies to attack him at once."

My preference would be for Marvel Studios to have all of their properties in-house, but it will never happen. FF? Maybe. But Spiderman and X-Men? Not in my lifetime.

Just Fantastic Four. Doom, Galactus and Silver Surfer belong in the MCU, especially with the cosmic direction they seem to be going in. And you have the decades old Reed/Stark dynamic as well as Hulk/Thing rivalry.

The X men are a huge world by themselves and Fox has done a decent-good job with them thus far. Sony can also keep Spidey.

To be honest, i love that Marvel Studios can take risks with all these lesser known properties and make them mainstream hits. I'd like them to keep doing that as long as possible.

James Cameron laughs at them both.

No.

Marvel shouldn't get the rights back. I shudder to think what would happen if they got their hands on Spidey and the X-Men. We will soon see them work their Rumpelstiltskin act on GotG and Ant-Man by turning those minnow franchises into whales, so do I even dare ask what they could do with giants like Spidey and X-Men? I can only imagine that people would deem those films the greatest of all time if they were shepherded by :hrt:that studio:hrt:. The tidal wave of love and downright awesomeness would have the potential to destroy coastlines in mere seconds....

In all seriousness, there simply wouldn't be enough theaters on the planet to satisfy the mass hysteria that the Marvel/Disney marketing machine™ would no doubt create. That great frustration alone would inevitably make people's minds implode. Eventually it would turn them into parasites and they would devour the flesh of their fellow man, woman and child. No thanks to that says this citizen of the world. Keep Spider-Man and the X-Men at their respective studios and let mankind continue on with its struggle. Icarus is a great example that we should not get too close to the sun.

Post of the day.

I'm very happy with how things are now, the only property I would like go to MS would be Fantastic 4. I also wonder if MS will ever touch Daredevil. I'd love to see a Daredevil film done right, but I doubt MS is interested in actually using him for a long time. I think I'd have prefered him to be at Sony. Could be cool to see a Spider-Man and Daredevil crossover.

Thankfully those days are long gone.

Are they?
Granted, Rothman is gone and that's good.

The last Wolvie movie was satisfactory. But I remain carefully guarded when it comes to expecting anything good coming from FOX. Let's see how DOFP comes out.

That would also oversaturate the superhero market way too much.

No.

With Fox and SONY those two properties actually have the oportunity for greater risks, something MS wouldn't allow

No, and it's not for the more/less movies, but because I don't want them all in one cinematic universe
I'd love to see a Marvel Universe (more serious than Superhero Squad this time) without Spider-Man
And I'd rather see it without the X-Men, don't want Lilandra or the Shia'r Empire stupid involvement with the X-Men in a movie, that is one of the dumbest ideas in a popular comic book, Marvel studios might adapt it, and then involve the Shia'r more in their Cinematic Universe

With Fox and SONY those two properties actually have the oportunity for greater risks, something MS wouldn't allow

Yeah, that excites me going forward. :up: They are free of the MCU obligations.

The last option of this poll "No, more studios means more Marvel movies" is absurd.

The very reason that Marvel Studios is limiting itself to two films a year is BECAUSE two other studios are pumping out Marvel movies as well and taking up space. If those two studios were out of the picture, that space could be filled with more Marvel Studios films.

The last option of this poll "No, more studios means more Marvel movies" is absurd.

The very reason that Marvel Studios is limiting itself to two films a year is BECAUSE two other studios are pumping out Marvel movies as well and taking up space. If those two studios were out of the picture, that space could be filled with more Marvel Studios films.

thats a lot of money being spent

No, and it's not for the more/less movies, but because I don't want them all in one cinematic universe
I'd love to see a Marvel Universe (more serious than Superhero Squad this time) without Spider-Man
And I'd rather see it without the X-Men, don't want Lilandra or the Shia'r Empire stupid involvement with the X-Men in a movie, that is one of the dumbest ideas in a popular comic book, Marvel studios might adapt it, and then involve the Shia'r more in their Cinematic Universe
And I'm enjoying watching the MCU world coming to term with the brand new idea of the existence of superheroes, without having a friendly neighborhood mutant on every block, or a large mutant community who's already had legislation directed against them.

Disagree. Marvel Studios seems to be keeping its hands plenty full with developing two major films per year, a spinoff TV series, and now four new netflix series.

thats a lot of money being spent MADE

ftfy

cph9fa said:
Disagree. Marvel Studios seems to be keeping its hands plenty full with developing two major films per year, a spinoff TV series, and now four new netflix series.

Yeah. Keeping their hands plenty full...by consistently adding more to their hands.

Marvel Studios is not some static building with a set number of employees that can not grow. All they DO is grow! They went from a couple of sporadic films, to planning movie phases years in advance, to expanding to television, to expanding to Netflix with 4 new series and a mini-series!

You're honestly telling me that they wouldn't add another film to their annual roster if some of the competition went away?

Marvel Studio makes massive profits on every film they release. The ONLY reason they don't do 3 or 4 films a year is out of fear of market over-saturation (which is far less of a problem with Sony and Fox out of the way), not because they can't afford to do it!

Nothings been stopping them. There isn't a rule that says there can only be four movies a year and if Fox/Sony is doing two then theres only two spots left for Disney Marvel.

They can do what they want, and it's clear they don't want to do more than two a year, by choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"