World Should Superman stand for the American Way?

Herofan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Or is he better as a citizen, and hero, of the world?

I'm a Brit and even as I child watching the cartoons it never jarred with me that Superman stood for the American way. The character was based in America, most of his exploits seemed to take place there, and as far as I was concerned America embraced the same ideals that we did.

giphy.gif

Build that wall Superman!! Build that wall!
Superman doing the American way in the border with Mexico

YYO3kx.gif

#MAGA superman!
ColossalZanyEgg-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

I don’t think anyone disputes that Superman is an American construct and symbol. But I suppose some folks take the “American way” expression as a tad heavy-handed - and perhaps needlessly jingoistic and parochial. And, btw, what is the American way? Is it Republican or Democrat? For or against abortion rights? Universal health care? Gun control? LGBTQ? Immigration? Climate? Obviously, the USA is a big, complicated and diverse place. So boiling it down to one simple slogan says pretty much nothing. (Maybe that’s the point. Ambiguity can be strategically inoffensive. :word:)

Meanwhile, methinks there’s also a sense - among certain fans - in which “American way” is a kind of virtue signal for the proper (classic, traditional, etc.) version of Superman. I.e., if you defend the phrase (proudly, unapologetically) then you really “get” Superman; and if you take issue with it (for, say, the reasons cited above) then you may be an upstart revisionist or blasphemer. :nono: (Recall the uproar when SR changed the saying to “Truth, Justice… all that stuff.”)

Incidentally, even in the early years, “American way” wasn’t set in stone. The Superman intro (from various media) was sometimes:

* "…a never-ending battle for [just] truth and justice."

* “…tolerance”

* “ ….truth, justice and freedom.”

Source:

Truth, justice and (fill in the blank) - Editorials & Commentary - International Herald Tribune

I don’t think anyone disputes that Superman is an American construct and symbol. But I suppose some folks take the “American way” expression as a tad heavy-handed - and perhaps needlessly jingoistic and parochial. And, btw, what is the American way? Is it Republican or Democrat?

Well in the '50s it basically meant non- or anti-Communist and more broadly anti-totalitarianism generally and pro-democracy which, despite other differences, Republicans and Democrats did agree on and work together on. It's true that we seem more divided today but there probably is still quite a bit of consensus for democracy (and thus for both a lot of personal freedom & rights and some regulations) and against its alternatives.

Meanwhile, methinks there’s also a sense - among certain fans - in which “American way” is a kind of virtue signal for the proper (classic, traditional, etc.) version of Superman. I.e., if you defend the phrase (proudly, unapologetically) then you really “get” Superman; and if you take issue with it (for, say, the reasons cited above) then you may be an upstart revisionist or blasphemer. :nono: (Recall the uproar when SR changed the saying to “Truth, Justice… all that stuff.”)

Well it probably is better to, even if the motto & idea isn't directly used, also not directly attack them, especially like the idea from the special comic that American citizenship (which supposedly meant you always represented the government) and being of and for the world were pretty opposed, the former should be given up for the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"