Should the "Year One" treatment be done for other DC heroes?

not_a_victim

Sidekick
Reaction score
BTW, I searched as best I could, and could not come up with a thread like this one.
Anyway, shoudl DC do more "Year One" stories for other heroes?
I like the idea, but I have some caveats:
1. It should not be used as a way of creating a new origin for the character, though aspects of the origin could be emphasized or explored further.
2. Any attempt should be primarily character driven. I am not saying no action, but any non-action panels should be devoted to the creating/development of the character.
3. I havent decided if the story should be canon, or even accepted into continuity, what do you think?
4. No "Elsewhere" type stories or alternate timeline type stuff. I love alternate versions of the character,as a refeshing way to cleanse the palate, but there are enough of those going around.
What do you think?

totally, if done right. A number of characters have had year ones of a sort, like Superman: Birthright, but I think I heard that's ooc.

I'd be very interested to see Wonder Woman and J'onn J'onz year ones

I don't know, they've pretty much done that for most of the big names. Superman, Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, the JLA, Wally West, Green Lantern. I mean, who else? Aquaman maybe? I'd like to see a Teen Titans Year one. Wonder Woman, definatly.

Barry Allen: Year One or Hal Jordan: Year One would be pretty cool

hippie_hunter said:
Barry Allen: Year One or Hal Jordan: Year One would be pretty cool
Hal Jordan: Year One = Emerald Dawn I and II

Anubis said:
I don't know, they've pretty much done that for most of the big names. Superman, Batman, Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, the JLA, Wally West, Green Lantern. I mean, who else? Aquaman maybe? I'd like to see a Teen Titans Year one. Wonder Woman, definatly.
Isn't Time and Tide pretty much Aquaman's Year One?

Elijya said:
totally, if done right. A number of characters have had year ones of a sort, like Superman: Birthright, but I think I heard that's ooc.

Is Birhtright OOC? I thought it was the latest origin of his.:confused:

Yeah, Birthright is supposed to be in continuity.

Don't know about Time and Tide. never read it.

Anubis said:
Yeah, Birthright is supposed to be in continuity.

Don't know about Time and Tide. never read it.
It is. Looked up a quick summary, and I read it some time ago. It details how Aquaman first became a hero.

Well then I oughta stop putting it off and just go ahead and buy it.

Elijya said:

i definetly agree. especially with a martian manhunter year one

Wonder Woman
Jonn Jozz
The Atom

Does Green Arrow already have one?

Maybe a few DC villains?

Joker: Year One....

They arnt calling it year one but new Creeper series coming this summer will be a giatn recon of whatever happened with him before. Steve Niles is writing it and i think he's great so I'd prolly pick it up.

Characters I want to see a Year one for:
1.)Question
2.)Martian Manhunter

3.)Etrigan- his fight in King arthur's court with Merlin against Morgain La Fey. I never read his origin or know if that story was ever told. I only hear it in passing when talking about te character. I think this would be awesome.

4.)Blue Devil, and pretty much any 2nd-stringers. Many of which are starting to get some panel time with the new titles coming out. They'd be easiest since you would have the most lee-way(sp?) with the character as far as loyal fans (a la Blade comic and Blade movie).

Villains is a good idea too CaptainStacy, specially since the origin of Joker is limited to flashbacks in THe Killing Joke as far as I could tell. How about Black adam? Have their ever been stories about him that take place in ancient Egypt (or where ever hes from)

Didn't the first arc of George Pérez's original run over WW's origin? (I'm not sure though, I haven't read it yet :() Why would we need another? :confused:

cerealkiller182 said:
Characters I want to see a Year one for:
1.)Question

It's actually be interesting to see. Because, unless they did a flashback issue in Denny O'Neil's run that I don't have, we've never actually seen The Question's origin on panel.

Elijya said:
J'onn J'onz

I agree completely, I find Martian to be a very interesting character. If he were to ever get his own Year One which I hope he does, who would you like to see write and draw the book?

They ever tell the story about how Jonah Hex got scarred?

Green Lantern said:
:confused: I only see one :confused:

When i first posted it showed 5 different posts, but after i tried i try to edit them they fixed themselves. My bad. Should be fine now

Wonder Woman already has a Year One...the Perez revamp post-Crisis was pretty much retelling her first year out on the job, and it's collected in trades. I reread it recently and it stands the test of time pretty well; no need to confuse her already gobbly continuity with more confuzzlement.

cerealkiller182 said:
Villains is a good idea too CaptainStacy, specially since the origin of Joker is limited to flashbacks in THe Killing Joke as far as I could tell. How about Black adam? Have their ever been stories about him that take place in ancient Egypt (or where ever hes from)

Yeah, i think so....there was a 3 issue (iirc) limited series from around 1987 or so, that delved into both Captain Marvel and Black Adam's past.

BrianWilly said:
Wonder Woman already has a Year One...the Perez revamp post-Crisis was pretty much retelling her first year out on the job, and it's collected in trades. I reread it recently and it stands the test of time pretty well; no need to confuse her already gobbly continuity with more confuzzlement.
I also read and greatly enjoyed Perez's first post-CoIE Wonder Woman arc. Great stuff that still fits perfectly well with the modern-day iteration of Wonder Woman, at least up to what we know of her going into Infinite Crisis. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a Wonder Woman Year One, since that is essentially what it is, and a damn fine one at that. Plus, it's an excuse to ogle Perez's art at arguably his peak.

Personally, I'd like to see a Power of SHAZAM!/Hawk Family/Dr. Fate Year One. Maybe a maxi-series that details all of the intricate (and almost incestuous) ties between Nabu, Khufu, Teth-Adam, Shazam, Chay-Ara, Carter, Shiera, Hector, et al. once and for all.

JLA needs a Year Two... i LOVED JLA Year One...

Teen Titans Year One...

Barry Allen Year One

Green Arrow Year One

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"