• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sit Down, Shut Up: Arnett, Bateman & Winkler reunited

Shifty

Chief of Surgery
Reaction score
Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3

Sit Down, Shut Up, is an upcoming American animated sitcom based on the short-lived Australian sitcom Sit Down, Shut Up. It is produced by Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, Granada America and Tantamount. It was picked up by Fox in May 2008[ and will debut in Spring of 2009 and will air Sundays at 8:30 PM, after The Simpsons.

The show was set up by Mitch Hurwitz, creator of Arrested Development; and Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum, from "Two and a Half Men". Hurwitz wrote the first script and decided to take a more supervisory role.[4] Other executive producers will be Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, former writers for The Simpsons.

The show will have animation that is set against a live-action backdrop and will be supervised by Mo Willems.

Voice cast

The series "follows a group of unconventional teachers and staff members working at a high school in a small northeastern fishing town who never lose sight of the fact that the students must ALWAYS come second." It will feature the voices of:

* Will Arnett as bodybuilder Ennis Hofftard
* Maria Bamford as Miracle Grohe, a religious science teacher.
* Jason Bateman as Larry Slimp, the gym teacher and only staff member that can teach.
* Will Forte as Vice Principal Stuart Prozackian.
* Tom Kenny as Happy, the secretive custodian.
* Nick Kroll as Andrew Sapian, the flamboyant drama teacher
* Cheri Oteri as Helen Klench, the unappreciated librarian.
* Kenan Thompson as Principal Sue Sezno.
* Henry Winkler as Willard Deutschebog, a suicidal German teacher.

The voice cast also includes Regina King in an unspecified role.

It's missing David Cross.

Henry Winkler's Character's Last Name very closely resembles "*****ebag."

Not to mention that Jason Bateman's name sounds like "Larry's limp." And that Will Forte's name has Prozac in it.

Arnett's name is "Hofftard". Hasslehoff + ******. Kenan's is "Sue Says No".

Im not too sure about the clips. But if the Arrested Development team are on board then I've got faith.

That is some crappy animation.

Yeah I wasn't that impressed with the animation but its still early and the shows won't be ready until the spring but look at early episodes of all animated shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama) they all have crappy animation. As long as its funny it doesn't matter.

I MISS FRANKLIN:csad: :csad:

franklin_gob.jpg

Yeah I wasn't that impressed with the animation but its still early and the shows won't be ready until the spring but look at early episodes of all animated shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Futurama) they all have crappy animation. As long as its funny it doesn't matter.

Heck, SP still has crappy animation.

Premieres this Sunday.

Will Arnett Voices Fox Animation Show

FRAZIER MOORE | April 16, 2009 07:53 AM EST | AP

NEW YORK — "My PEANUT butter! ... my PEAnut butter! ... MYYYY peanut butter!"

At full throttle, Will Arnett was pushing out one version, then another, of a line from his script.

After the fourth or fifth stab, he burst into laughter.

"That's great," said Arnett's collaborator, who was nowhere to be seen in the Manhattan recording studio, but could be heard through the control room speakers as clearly as if he were standing right beside Arnett at the microphone.

That voice belonged to Mitchell Hurwitz, creator of the Fox animated comedy "Sit Down, Shut Up." He was weighing in from his Los Angeles home base, linked with Arnett from across the country and, like Arnett, clearly having a blast.

Their series, focusing on the demented teachers and staff of a small Florida high school, premieres Sunday at 8:30 p.m. EDT. But this particular recording session took place last October. With cartoons, the characters' voices are recorded first (and for "Sit Down, Shut Up," they are recorded individually, actor by actor in New York or Los Angeles, to accommodate a cast that also includes Jason Bateman, Kristin Chenoweth, Will Forte, Kenan Thompson, Cheri Oteri, Henry Winkler, Nick Kroll and Tom Kenny). Only then can the time-consuming business of animation begin.

Under Hurwitz's disembodied guidance, Arnett had thrown himself into his role, Ennis Hofftard, a snide English teacher and would-be athlete who, however inappropriately, wears Spandex bike shorts at all times.

Hurwitz fed Arnett this line: "Do you like music?" Arnett erupted in his character's pettish growl: "I TOLD you, I'm a giant Huey Lewis fan. So ... NO!!!"

They did it again and again, playing around with different approaches. And cracking themselves up.

Arnett had arrived early for his 3 p.m. session at Pomann Sound, where he found co-star Thompson was running late recording his own part: bossy acting principal Sue Sezno. This was a good time to be interviewed, and Arnett went into irony overdrive.

"It goes without saying, I'm a Hollywood insider," he began mock-grandly when asked how he got the job.

Hollywood insider? Whatever, he's got an in with Hurwitz, whose twisted comedy "Arrested Development" featured Arnett as Gob Bluth, the scheming older brother of Michael Bluth (who was played by future "Sit Down" cast mate Bateman).

Blessed with Yuppie good looks he makes the most of comedically, the 38-year-old Arnett has also shown comic chops in films including "Semi-Pro" and "Blades of Glory," has a recurring role on TV's "30 Rock," and voiced animated films that include the current hit "Monsters vs. Aliens."

Maybe best of all, he gets to be married to America's zany sweetheart and former "Saturday Night Live" cast member Amy Poehler _ whose NBC comedy "Parks and Recreation" premiered last week, and who, on this October afternoon, was just days away from delivering their widely anticipated first child, christened Archie.

Doesn't Arnett's resume add up to a comedy Olympian, and then some?

"YOU said it," Arnett responded, "but you said it because it's glaringly true, and a fact." This triggers another I'm-so-full-of-it chortle.

Dressed in jeans, boots and a leather jacket over a hooded sweat shirt, Arnett spoke approvingly of voice work: "You don't have to go to hair-and-makeup and wardrobe. You hop into an elevator and come to a studio in midtown.

"By 5:30," he added, "I'm back doing all my charity work."

A few minutes later, Arnett was installed in the studio and under way. The process called for skipping around each of two episodes, firing off multiple attacks of a given line and, in cahoots with Hurwitz, cooking up new foolishness on the spot.

For an observing reporter, everything was out of context. Nothing about Arnett's give-and-take with Hurwitz made sense. But it was hilarious.

"I'm rolling on 48, guys," the engineer announced as the next take began, whereupon, in Ennis' gravelly bluster, Arnett tore into his dialogue: "That's outrageous! I have a long list of demands _ No. 1: a list of demands ... No. 2: you accept full blame for this ... No. 3: I want whiskey to come in cans."

Hurwitz suggested, "How about a helicopter?"

Arnett: "I want a chopper, fully gassed, on the helipad within the next half-hour. I want whiskey to come in cans. And could you fill that helicopter with whiskey? But not FILLED. Obviously, leave room for me and the pilot."

He and Hurwitz shared more bicoastal laughter. No doubt about it: A job like this is even better than whiskey in cans.

Oh my...

That was quite possibly one of the single worst shows I've ever seen. It's hard to believe that the people behind AD could create something this bad. Its such a shame because I really did want to like this.

I'd say it was okay, but not great. Quality level, it's something along the lines of something you'd see on the cartoon channel, but not up to the level of Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park or King of the Hill in their primes.

It has potential, though. They need to really push the envelope on things like teacher-student pederasty, Miracle's Nazi-like Christianity and cartoonish violence inflicted upon the characters.

A resounding "meh" for this show.

A couple of the character concepts are funny, but the overall delivery and the animation art style are just blah.

It has potential, it was okay. You couldn't envision how great The Simpsons would become with their crappy Christmas episode or Tracy Ulman shorts. Just great to hear Arnett, Bateman and Winkler together again. Will Forte was born for animation.

It has potential, it was okay. You couldn't envision how great The Simpsons would become with their crappy Christmas episode or Tracy Ulman shorts. Just great to hear Arnett, Bateman and Winkler together again. Will Forte was born for animation.

Agreed on all fronts.

I found myself very bored with this show and I hated the animation style.

Never heard about this until today. I'll give it a look since it's on Hulu and it's got some pretty awesome actors behind it. I love that Kenan is voicing a woman. :)

I really wanted to like this just because Bateman, Arnett, and Winkler are in it...but dear God, its just...terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"