Comics Slott's last arc

As if today's news about the new spider-man creative team and direction wasn't enough of a letdown:

https://www.newsarama.com/38881-one-more-day-one-more-kiss-in-amazing-spider-man-797-preview.html#s1

Is it really that unexpected? Slott is gonna Slott.

However...given how over the past 4 years MJ has barely been in the book and even when she was in the book it was '***** MJ' thanks to Slott, it wouldn't make sense for her and Peter to all of the sudden be cozy and wonderful. They need time to get out of the massive crater that Dan has dropped them into. This page while disappointing is just the beginning of that mending process and hopefully they begin to sort out their problems over the next few issues. With Slott gone Spencer can work on bringing back the characters to form.

Then again, with how Dan loves to piss off the fans I could see the final showdown between Spidey and the red Goblin as yet another reason for MJ to keep on hating Peter. As in the superhero stuff is just too much to bear even though she's been IM's assistant for the past year.

It really just depends on what editorial is mandating. Either way it's sad how we finally see Peter and MJ having a real convo again and instead of feeling good about it, we're just waiting for the inevitable rug pull.

Is it really that unexpected? Slott is gonna Slott.

However...given how over the past 4 years MJ has barely been in the book and even when she was in the book it was '***** MJ' thanks to Slott, it wouldn't make sense for her and Peter to all of the sudden be cozy and wonderful. They need time to get out of the massive crater that Dan has dropped them into. This page while disappointing is just the beginning of that mending process and hopefully they begin to sort out their problems over the next few issues. With Slott gone Spencer can work on bringing back the characters to form.

Then again, with how Dan loves to piss off the fans I could see the final showdown between Spidey and the red Goblin as yet another reason for MJ to keep on hating Peter. As in the superhero stuff is just too much to bear even though she's been IM's assistant for the past year.

It really just depends on what editorial is mandating. Either way it's sad how we finally see Peter and MJ having a real convo again and instead of feeling good about it, we're just waiting for the inevitable rug pull.

As much as I dislike Slott and the way he treats the fanbase, I'm not sure this is all him. I mean remember, Marvel pretty much has to portray MJ this way in order to justify her and Peter not being together anymore.

Although one guy over at the crawlspace has speculated that this story will end with MJ realizing that she wants to be with Peter again and that the risks are worth it, but there'll be a switcharoo where Peter will now think she was right all along and it is too dangerous to be in a relationship with him. If that happens, it'll explain why she won't be present in the first arc of Spencer's run.

As much as I dislike Slott and the way he treats the fanbase, I'm not sure this is all him. I mean remember, Marvel pretty much has to portray MJ this way in order to justify her and Peter not being together anymore.

Although one guy over at the crawlspace has speculated that this story will end with MJ realizing that she wants to be with Peter again and that the risks are worth it, but there'll be a switcharoo where Peter will now think she was right all along and it is too dangerous to be in a relationship with him. If that happens, it'll explain why she won't be present in the first arc of Spencer's run.

I'm not really sure in what capacity Quesadilla is still involved with the franchise because I know he said he was gonna come back and help C.B. out with upper management stuff. But even then, I don't really see Joe Q being completely against a reuniting of Peter and MJ--he did a variant cover for Renew Your Vows. If he was so adamantly against the pairing he could have easily not had anything to do with that. Either way, imo and from what I've seen and heard, Dan Slott is the only torch bearing outwardly spoken person from Marvel that is not only against Peter and MJ's marriage being restored but basically said that it "could never happen." He even went on to say that if you owned Marvel it still wouldn't even be a possibility. Ludicrous. I've no idea why Slott gets so bent outta shape over this as he's been proven wrong time and time again with regard to trying out new love interests for Peter.

The other thing I'd point to is that Marvel doesn't really seem to have a problem with showing Peter and MJ together. There's the initial RYV mini series, the continuation series of RYV, plenty of variant covers featuring MJ and Peter together, MJ month in which she and sometimes Peter were featured on the cover of every comic from DD to Dr Strange, the new figures that are coming out this year, I think, that have Peter and MJ in a 2-pack, the article that was posted on Marvel's homepage with a list of the best couples in Marvel--Pete and MJ were #2...and the list goes on. If Marvel had such a negative stance against them as Dan Slott likes to suggest, none of those things would exist. But then again, Dan is a liar. He's an admitted/proven liar.

That said, I just don't know how much longer Marvel will continue with the constant merry-go-round of 'youthful Peter that doesn't grow up' matched with 'look it's a new, not-gonna-go-anywhere' love interest. The fanbase for the most part is getting tired of the crap. Sales don't lie.

Well that's quite interesting

The other thing I'd point to is that Marvel doesn't really seem to have a problem with showing Peter and MJ together. There's the initial RYV mini series, the continuation series of RYV, plenty of variant covers featuring MJ and Peter together, MJ month in which she and sometimes Peter were featured on the cover of every comic from DD to Dr Strange, the new figures that are coming out this year, I think, that have Peter and MJ in a 2-pack, the article that was posted on Marvel's homepage with a list of the best couples in Marvel--Pete and MJ were #2...and the list goes on. If Marvel had such a negative stance against them as Dan Slott likes to suggest, none of those things would exist. But then again, Dan is a liar. He's an admitted/proven liar.

That said, I just don't know how much longer Marvel will continue with the constant merry-go-round of 'youthful Peter that doesn't grow up' matched with 'look it's a new, not-gonna-go-anywhere' love interest. The fanbase for the most part is getting tired of the crap. Sales don't lie.

They might like to promote the image of them, but that's only because they know people will get all excited over it. That doesn't mean they actually want them together in the actual story.

I'm sorry but Peter and MJ most likely won't be getting back together anytime in the future. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she continues to remain over in the Iron Man books for the indefinite future. And that's actually fine with me, because as I said once before, I actually kind of hate her character now after the way she's been depicted for about the past decade. In fact, I was pretty damn pissed at the way she just walked up to him in ASM # 796 and started talking to him like he's her best bud after the way she's treated him since the BND era. I wish he'd told her to go to hell.

Last edited:
They might like to promote the image of them, but that's only because they know people will get all excited over it. That doesn't mean they actually want them together in the actual story.

If no one at Marvel wanted the pair together, as Dan Slott likes to suggest, they wouldn't have approved the Renew Your Vows mini-series nor given RYV a follow up to the mini with an on going title.

If you go through the fan mail in RYV, you'll see an editor at Marvel talking about how they love MJ and Peter together and were happy to be able to put out that series for the fans.

I'm sorry but Peter and MJ most likely won't be getting back together anytime in the future. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she continues to remain over in the Iron Man books for the indefinite future. And that's actually fine with me, because as I said once before, I actually kind of hate her character now after the way she's been depicted for about the past decade. In fact, I was pretty damn pissed at the way she just walked up to him in ASM # 796 and started talking to him like he's her best bud after the way she's treated him since the BND era. I wish he'd told her to go to hell.

While I agree her sudden change towards Peter was without the needed remedy and gradual build-up, it's also most likely because Slott never intended to leave the series this soon nor did he plan on using MJ again in this capacity. It's being mandated by his bosses. Slott talked all the time about how he was going to be 'the guy' for Spider-Man for years to come. For example, look at the situation with Mockingbird. This is something Slott has been pushing as far back as the Power Play arc...a relationship he definitely wanted and pushed for and then he finally got them together. Only for a few months or so to go by and broke them up off panel. Off. Panel. Then when asked in an interview about it, Slott said the only reason he had Bobbi and Peter get together was because of how well Immonen drew them together. Such lies. Immonen wasn't drawing them back when Slott was shipping them so hard. And as usual Slott is trying to project blame onto someone else cause he's never ever wrong and can't take criticism.

But you do realize that MJ is fictional character, and the only reason why she's been 'B**ch MJ' is because of Slott and him driving his own fan fic narrative? To say that you hate the character, imo, is unfair since any fan of MJ knows this isn't actually what was intended for the character and it's a direct effect of Slott and his desire to upseat the original cast in favor of his own pet creations. Even his characterization of Peter has turned him into an unrelatable, unlikable, incompetent person. It's horrible. But as much as I do not like what Slott has done, I know it isn't the real Peter...not the one I know and the one that I have come to enjoy so much. Same goes with MJ.

If no one at Marvel wanted the pair together, as Dan Slott likes to suggest, they wouldn't have approved the Renew Your Vows mini-series nor given RYV a follow up to the mini with an on going title.

They're fine with throwing fans a bone by having it appear in an alternate continuity. That doesn't mean they want it to appear in the regular 616 universe as well.

But you do realize that MJ is fictional character, and the only reason why she's been 'B**ch MJ' is because of Slott and him driving his own fan fic narrative? To say that you hate the character, imo, is unfair since any fan of MJ knows this isn't actually what was intended for the character and it's a direct effect of Slott and his desire to upseat the original cast in favor of his own pet creations. Even his characterization of Peter has turned him into an unrelatable, unlikable, incompetent person. It's horrible. But as much as I do not like what Slott has done, I know it isn't the real Peter...not the one I know and the one that I have come to enjoy so much. Same goes with MJ.

But then why is Marvel letting Slott portray her that way? The fact that they're allowing him to write her like that tells me that they're on the same page with him about her character, and I think it kind of ties in with my belief that she has to be portrayed that way in order to justify her separation from Peter. And many writers would argue that the character she became during the marriage years wasn't something she was ever intended to be either, and that it was just a case of writers trying to make a hasty editorial decision work.

But regardless, I just can't bring myself to like her character anymore. There's just too much toxicity and negativity surrounding her and her relationship with Peter these days, and I've just had it up to here with it. And it pains me to say that because they used to be my favorite fictional couple. I'll say this though, if Peter does finally call her out on her unfair treatment of him in the upcoming issues and tells her to stay the hell out of his life from now on, that'll be a joyous moment. But considering he's more whipped than Clark Kent from that terrible Smallville show, it sadly probably won't happen.

Last edited:
They're fine with throwing fans a bone by having it appear in an alternate continuity. That doesn't mean they want it to appear in the regular 616 universe as well.

But then why is Marvel letting Slott portray her that way? The fact that they're allowing him to write her like that tells me that they're on the same page with him about her character, and I think it kind of ties in with my belief that she has to be portrayed that way in order to justify her separation from Peter. And many writers would argue that the character she became during the marriage years wasn't something she was ever intended to be either, and that it was just a case of writers trying to make a hasty editorial decision work.

But regardless, I just can't bring myself to like her character anymore. There's just too much toxicity and negativity surrounding her and her relationship with Peter these days, and I've just had it up to here with it. And it pains me to say that because they used to be my favorite fictional couple. I'll say this though, if Peter does finally call her out on her unfair treatment of him in the upcoming issues and tells her to stay the hell out of his life from now on, that'll be a joyous moment. But considering he's more whipped than Clark Kent from that terrible Smallville show, it sadly probably won't happen.

Letting Slott have his way is on Alonso. I think Slott made those statements about him being on ASM for the foreseeable future is because as long as his whipped boss, Alonso, was still around, Slott would be able to do whatever he wanted. Once Alonso was fired, things obviously changed. Slott hasn't had any message board rantings or fan beatings in a while, his Twitter account was deleted and Slott has been removed from ASM as of #801. And the awkward MJ part in 797 is most likely due to editorial mandating she return when 1) Slott doesn't want to use her and 2) didn't have any intention of bringing her back so soon or possibly at all. And with time constraints involved along with Slott writing his usual fluff, there's really no way it's gonna be good. Look at how Felicia was handled. She'd been turned into this maniacal villain and instead of getting a proper turn-around from that we get an "oops, sorry" in like one panel and then that's it.

Alonso being gone and Slott having his power removed are two key elements in allowing the possible reuniting of Peter and MJ. As long as those idiots were in charge, it most likely was not ever going to happen. And I don't believe Slott for a second that no one at Marvel wanted them together as there's evidence to the contrary outside of Slott already being proven as a liar.

I get that you are not fond of MJ. It's difficult to like someone when they're written as a complete b**ch, and/or just a rotten person. So, I can at least understand where you are coming from...but for me, I believe it's entirely possible to heal all that crap and take steps to remedy their relationship.

Letting Slott have his way is on Alonso. I think Slott made those statements about him being on ASM for the foreseeable future is because as long as his whipped boss, Alonso, was still around, Slott would be able to do whatever he wanted. Once Alonso was fired, things obviously changed. Slott hasn't had any message board rantings or fan beatings in a while, his Twitter account was deleted and Slott has been removed from ASM as of #801. And the awkward MJ part in 797 is most likely due to editorial mandating she return when 1) Slott doesn't want to use her and 2) didn't have any intention of bringing her back so soon or possibly at all. And with time constraints involved along with Slott writing his usual fluff, there's really no way it's gonna be good. Look at how Felicia was handled. She'd been turned into this maniacal villain and instead of getting a proper turn-around from that we get an "oops, sorry" in like one panel and then that's it.

Alonso being gone and Slott having his power removed are two key elements in allowing the possible reuniting of Peter and MJ. As long as those idiots were in charge, it most likely was not ever going to happen. And I don't believe Slott for a second that no one at Marvel wanted them together as there's evidence to the contrary outside of Slott already being proven as a liar.

I get that you are not fond of MJ. It's difficult to like someone when they're written as a complete b**ch, and/or just a rotten person. So, I can at least understand where you are coming from...but for me, I believe it's entirely possible to heal all that crap and take steps to remedy their relationship.

I really don't think Alonso's departure is going to change anything. Brevoort and Quesada are still in power at Marvel, and Quesada has even said that he'll be taking a more active role in the publishing division again.

And as for remedying the relationship between Peter and MJ, I think that ship has pretty much sailed. The only way it could be legitimately salvaged would be if A. OMD is addressed and resolved, which definitely won't happen, and B. Peter actually grows a pair and calls MJ out on how badly she's treated him, and the previous issue has made it clear that that won't happen either. And without those, I really can't get invested in her character or their relationship again. And again, I can't stress this enough, she has to be written the way she is now to justify her and Peter not being together anymore. Because if she's kind to him and accepting of his superhero life, then there's no reason for them not to be together. And Marvel doesn't want them together.

But like I said, I think after all this is over, she'll probably either stick around in the Iron Man book or she'll go back to supporting character limbo again for the indefinite future. I don't see her playing a role in Spencer's run.

EDIT: And Slott hasn't completely disappeared from social media; his facebook account is still active.

Last edited:
How so?
it isn't anything we haven't already seen before.

I dunno... The recently "I discovered Spidey's identity" JJJJr captured/tortured(?) by Norman accidentally gives Norman the info he once had... I thought it was interesting.

But by your rationale, we've seen everything before; therefore, you would find absolutely nothing interesting.

Have a great day.

:yay:

So... does the mind wipe/restore not work anymore?
JJ doesn't seem to remember, Norman doesn't either.

So... does the mind wipe/restore not work anymore?
JJ doesn't seem to remember, Norman doesn't either.

Peter revealed his identity to JJJJr a few months ago In Spec #6
It's also been hinted that the mindwipe has been weakened, so JJ's obvious comment to Norman was obvious to him.

Peter revealed his identity to JJJJr a few months ago In Spec #6
It's also been hinted that the mindwipe has been weakened, so JJ's obvious comment to Norman was obvious to him.

I know Peter revealed it... but he doesnt seem to remember that he once knew...
Norman's reveal isn't clear either... he could just be putting it all together, what with that wall of connections behind him.

wow, turns out Slott is now the writer of the new Fantastic Four series beginning with a new #1... there goes THAT book for the next ten years... yeah, like S**T!

wow, turns out Slott is now the writer of the new Fantastic Four series beginning with a new #1... there goes THAT book for the next ten years... yeah, like S**T!

Yeah that was pretty much reaction. And I was looking forward to reading a new Fantastic Four book too... :(

Slott's sci fi s pretty good.
I think it'll be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"