Comics Dan Slott argues his Spidey/ness

shinlyle

King of the Haters
Reaction score
So, Dan Slott got into a twitter battle with someone. According to the article, he "shut them down".
Spider-Man Comic Writer Serves Trolls The Ultimate Takedown

Except it's Dan Slott, and his response would insinuate that the Spider-Man show he consulted on was any good (which it wasn't), that there has been more than one good Spider-Man game in the last 10 years (there hasn't), and that his comic run was great (which I would argue that everything since Superior has been hot garbage).

I like a lot of Dan's stuff, but touting his Spidey work seems a little premature, as he's only been off of the title for a little over a year or two...and most of his stuff has already been undone. Also, since he left Spidey, he's dropped the ball on a lot of his stuff.

I wish him the best, but I think a good rule of thumb for most comic pros(and humans in general) is to avoid twitter like the black plague of death it is.

Also, there isn't much going on here, and this related to comics, and I miss the conversations with you guys! I think everyone on the Hype (outside of the politics forums) it pretty cordial about differing opinions.

I really don't like Dan Slott as a writer and with his continued online idiocy he continues to make a case for me not liking him as a person.

Dan's biggest issue is that he's driven by emotion and that he's insecure. Emotions can be a powerful tool to use for all kinds of action. But if the person using them is too sensitive, it's now the emotions in control. Dan has shown this to be accurate as he has proven time and time again...he can't accept even constructive criticism. He has berated people online for even offering sound advice or suggestions.

One thing that I've learned about people is that good people doing good works don't brag about it or constantly make references about it. If you donate to charity, that good work alone will speak for itself. Telling people that you donate, over and over, imo only puts the light on you...'everyone look at me and all the good that I do! I'm so very important.' It's selfish and imo points toward the idea that you're not actually doing these good works because it matters but because you have your own selfish intentions. Slott is guilty of this. Even when he was writing Spider-Man, he would either point the finger of blame onto others for various faults or he would talk about all the 'great' 'achievements' he's had. Right or wrong, this is selfish behavior and indicates an insecure person. Not only are most of his stories bad and badly written, he cared more about his own legacy rather than putting the story and characters ahead of his own selfish goals.

So now here we are and once again Dan is trying to remind everyone "hey I used to write Spider-Man and guess what? I've also written more issues than anyone else... on the planet no less!" Yeah Dan, ok, but does it really count when you needed constant help writing from co-writers? Also, Dan, you've more than proven quantity does not equate with quality.

His latest crap involves trying to once again knock Spider-Man down a peg by stating that Spider-Man's jokes are not pc and could possibly offend some kid because Spidey made fun of Ock's fatness. Dan just doesn't get the character. A couple of things...Spider-Man comics are not intended for kids. They are written for adults and young adults. There's Spider-Man comics that are specifically geared towards children. And I highly doubt Dan really gives a crap about young readers. No, I'm willing to bet he read those old comics and took offense to those jokes himself. Dan is short and fat just like Octavius and he's proven multiple times that he's insecure and overly sensitive. It's no wonder he favors Ock... it's like looking in a mirror. Dan, when Spider-Man makes jokes about a murdering megalomaniac's appearance he's not making a personal slight towards you, ok? So let's wipe away those tears and put your big boy pants on and get over it. Ok there big guy? Ok.

Also, Dan, if you're so concerned over the thoughts and influence of the minds of young readers, would you like to explain to them about the rape that occurred in your Superior Spider-Man series? You know, when Ock masterbated using Peter's memories of Mary Jane. I mean since you care so much about the young readers and how they might be affected. Cause fat jokes are so much worse.

I'm so glad he isn't writing Spider-Man anymore. I can't believe we had to deal with all his garbage for ten long years and he continues to pipe up and try to remind us of it. It's laughable.

I really don't like Dan Slott as a writer and with his continued online idiocy he continues to make a case for me not liking him as a person.

Dan's biggest issue is that he's driven by emotion and that he's insecure. Emotions can be a powerful tool to use for all kinds of action. But if the person using them is too sensitive, it's now the emotions in control. Dan has shown this to be accurate as he has proven time and time again...he can't accept even constructive criticism. He has berated people online for even offering sound advice or suggestions.

One thing that I've learned about people is that good people doing good works don't brag about it or constantly make references about it. If you donate to charity, that good work alone will speak for itself. Telling people that you donate, over and over, imo only puts the light on you...'everyone look at me and all the good that I do! I'm so very important.' It's selfish and imo points toward the idea that you're not actually doing these good works because it matters but because you have your own selfish intentions. Slott is guilty of this. Even when he was writing Spider-Man, he would either point the finger of blame onto others for various faults or he would talk about all the 'great' 'achievements' he's had. Right or wrong, this is selfish behavior and indicates an insecure person. Not only are most of his stories bad and badly written, he cared more about his own legacy rather than putting the story and characters ahead of his own selfish goals.

So now here we are and once again Dan is trying to remind everyone "hey I used to write Spider-Man and guess what? I've also written more issues than anyone else... on the planet no less!" Yeah Dan, ok, but does it really count when you needed constant help writing from co-writers? Also, Dan, you've more than proven quantity does not equate with quality.

His latest crap involves trying to once again knock Spider-Man down a peg by stating that Spider-Man's jokes are not pc and could possibly offend some kid because Spidey made fun of Ock's fatness. Dan just doesn't get the character. A couple of things...Spider-Man comics are not intended for kids. They are written for adults and young adults. There's Spider-Man comics that are specifically geared towards children. And I highly doubt Dan really gives a crap about young readers. No, I'm willing to bet he read those old comics and took offense to those jokes himself. Dan is short and fat just like Octavius and he's proven multiple times that he's insecure and overly sensitive. It's no wonder he favors Ock... it's like looking in a mirror. Dan, when Spider-Man makes jokes about a murdering megalomaniac's appearance he's not making a personal slight towards you, ok? So let's wipe away those tears and put your big boy pants on and get over it. Ok there big guy? Ok.

Also, Dan, if you're so concerned over the thoughts and influence of the minds of young readers, would you like to explain to them about the rape that occurred in your Superior Spider-Man series? You know, when Ock masterbated using Peter's memories of Mary Jane. I mean since you care so much about the young readers and how they might be affected. Cause fat jokes are so much worse.

I'm so glad he isn't writing Spider-Man anymore. I can't believe we had to deal with all his garbage for ten long years and he continues to pipe up and try to remind us of it. It's laughable.

I like you, man. Just...right on.

It says in a book called the book of Matthew, "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing". It means exactly what you said: Don't do it for your own glory. Slott has long been known for his ego, if nothing else.

As for Spidey's jokes, I'll be THAT guy. You called a fat megalomaniac fat. AND...? Does Spidey then go up and down the streets of NY shunning anyone who doesn't have a perfect BMI? When he fights Vulture and mocks him as a bald old man, does THAT offend Slott, too? Get over it. We have a writer getting offended by his past works. I cannot fathom the pandering he someone must need to give his own ego when he's practically lecturing his old self about the insults two fictional characters made towards each other.

As anyone who knows me can attest, I don't lay out insults at people for things they can't help. Not cool. However, I'm also a 90's baby. We guys ripped on each other in really terrible ways, and it tended to give everyone a little thicker skin that people seem to have nowadays. Still someone getting offended by something he wrote in a COMIC BOOK a decade ago...? Lame.

I like you, man. Just...right on.

It says in a book called the book of Matthew, "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing". It means exactly what you said: Don't do it for your own glory. Slott has long been known for his ego, if nothing else.

As for Spidey's jokes, I'll be THAT guy. You called a fat megalomaniac fat. AND...? Does Spidey then go up and down the streets of NY shunning anyone who doesn't have a perfect BMI? When he fights Vulture and mocks him as a bald old man, does THAT offend Slott, too? Get over it. We have a writer getting offended by his past works. I cannot fathom the pandering he someone must need to give his own ego when he's practically lecturing his old self about the insults two fictional characters made towards each other.

As anyone who knows me can attest, I don't lay out insults at people for things they can't help. Not cool. However, I'm also a 90's baby. We guys ripped on each other in really terrible ways, and it tended to give everyone a little thicker skin that people seem to have nowadays. Still someone getting offended by something he wrote in a COMIC BOOK a decade ago...? Lame.

I like you too, bud.

I agree with everything you said here. But to go back to your original post, yeah I wish this part of the board was more active. It seems to me though that most people don't really care for comics much anymore. Every since the movies have really taken off, most places, this site included have become more about film rather than books.

It seems to me though that most people don't really care for comics much anymore. Every since the movies have really taken off, most places, this site included have become more about film rather than books.
Ditto. I really like superhero movies and animations, but I'm far more into the comics and talking about those.

I like you too, bud.

I agree with everything you said here. But to go back to your original post, yeah I wish this part of the board was more active. It seems to me though that most people don't really care for comics much anymore. Every since the movies have really taken off, most places, this site included have become more about film rather than books.

Well, I know we harp on this quite often, but Marvel has done everything it can to make the comics more like the movies, and they want to pander to the movie watchers and not to their dedicated readers...and for those who remember, this has been the case since the Spidey films. They gave him organics, they magically divorced him because he isn't married anywhere but the comics, they changed his costume depending on that the movie had him in, whether it made sense or not...the list goes on and on.

It doesn't stop at Spidey either.

I wish there was more activity, but what can you do? I'm thrilled that Amazing seems to be less agenda-driven than it's been in years. No "Let's get Peter unmarried" or "Let's change Peter to be less offensive"...just, making fun stories. It's not the best it's ever been, but it's at LEAST starting to feel more like home. That's saying more than I could during Slott's last days.

The movies kind of brought in a new fan base and in a sense kind of sent another fan base into hiding/extinction. The voice of the comic fan isn't really heard anymore and Marvel seems more and more content with making the comics reflect whats happening in the movies instead of the other way around. Another example of this would be the PS5 remaststed copy of Spider-man. The model of Peter has been completely redone to look exactly like Tom Holland. I would have respected the developers more if they had been upfront and honest and said that they wanted to adhere and pander to the movie fans more. The reasoning they give was silly and doing the switch was another slap towards the comic fans in a sense because there was nothing wrong with originial character model in the first place.

I've always had my issues with Slott. I also remember him posting on the hype back in the day during his BND days. His attitude always struck me as smug and I never enjoyed his Spider-man work. It's so weird, because this is coming from someone who absolutely loved his She-Hulk stuff.

Would love to see this site bumping like the old days but those days are long gone unfortunately.

I love his and Mike Allred's Silver Surfer! His Spidey is really hit and miss for me, though. He had some good stories and some great concepts mostly earlier on in his solo run but a lot of the time his actual follow-through and execution would let those stories down imo. I read somewhere he was originally going to stay on through 850, and I am so glad he didn't just because it was long overdue we just got a new voice on the book at all.

The movies kind of brought in a new fan base and in a sense kind of sent another fan base into hiding/extinction. The voice of the comic fan isn't really heard anymore and Marvel seems more and more content with making the comics reflect whats happening in the movies instead of the other way around. Another example of this would be the PS5 remaststed copy of Spider-man. The model of Peter has been completely redone to look exactly like Tom Holland. I would have respected the developers more if they had been upfront and honest and said that they wanted to adhere and pander to the movie fans more. The reasoning they give was silly and doing the switch was another slap towards the comic fans in a sense because there was nothing wrong with originial character model in the first place.

I've always had my issues with Slott. I also remember him posting on the hype back in the day during his BND days. His attitude always struck me as smug and I never enjoyed his Spider-man work. It's so weird, because this is coming from someone who absolutely loved his She-Hulk stuff.

Would love to see this site bumping like the old days but those days are long gone unfortunately.

Slott's online demeanor was incredibly childish. He was outright aggressive and mean towards anyone criticizing his work. Because how could anyone not like his writing? Or not possess the intellect to see the progression in his stories? No, if you didn't like his work you must obviously be wrong or have mental issues. My favorite part is where he'd get into these online battles with people only to bail and say "I've got stuff to do." The funny part is he constantly needed help meeting the schedule and keeping up with releases but somehow you could always manage to find him online somewhere berating a fan for not understanding 'his' vision.

There's a massive difference between Spencer and Slott. Not just with their writing but their attitude. That quote from Spencer about doing right by the fans and the character is the complete opposite of Slott. With him it was, "don't like what I'm doing, don't buy the book." He never cared about the fans nor the character.

I love his and Mike Allred's Silver Surfer! His Spidey is really hit and miss for me, though. He had some good stories and some great concepts mostly earlier on in his solo run but a lot of the time his actual follow-through and execution would let those stories down imo. I read somewhere he was originally going to stay on through 850, and I am so glad he didn't just because it was long overdue we just got a new voice on the book at all.

I never read his other titles or projects so I can't really compare but I've heard similar statements. His She-Hulk was great. Oh man his Silver Surfer was epic. Just a guess but imo it probably comes down to having an understanding of the character and execution. For some characters, Slott is probably a good fit. He just wasn't for Spider-Man. He definitely had some good ideas, i.e. Spider-Verse, but he failed in the execution mostly because he lacked a basic understanding of Peter. The idea itself was really good, because you put that idea into the hands of some capable people and it will be successful, i.e. the Spider-Verse movie. I say this often but it's funny to me that Slott's most acclaimed Spider-Man works are the Renew Your Vows mini and Superior Spider-Man. One features a status quo that he was largely against and the other didn't even have Peter as the main character. I think that's fairly noteworthy when you want to talk about his ability to write.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"