• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Smokin' Aces (NEW Joe"Narc"Carnahan film)

Just got back from it ,it's insane for the most part and noisy but with some great scenes,it's to cluttered though and the plot is messy plus the ending is way to serious given how daft the rest of the movie is but all in all i thought it was fun

Piven is great in it and Reynolds does well as does Keys and Common

One scene in particular in the bathroom between Common and Piven is excellent

Sounds great!!! I wanna see this!!!:word:

Smokin' Aces Writer/Director Joe Carnahan

Source: Heather Newgen
January 19, 2007

carnahansmokinaces1.jpg

It's been a while since innovative writer and director Joe Carnahan has showcased his talent and after a long effort of working on projects that almost happened, but never did, he's finally returning to the big screen with his new dark action comedy Smoking aces. The high energy mob thriller follows a sleazy Las Vegas magician (Jeremy Piven) who has decided to tell the FBI everything he knows about the Vegas organized crime ring he once ran with. He's sent to Lake Tahoe and put in protective custody. However, once word gets out about how much he's worth dead, there's a slew of hit men and women racing to be the first to take him out.

ComingSoon.net talked Carnahan about his new film.

Interview link:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18435

SMOKIN' ACES

Smokin' Aces, is described as a hot new action film, and has been likened to some of the dark humour of the Coen Brothers. Whislt this coment is concievable, the film itself is quite different from expectations.

When Buddy 'Aces' Israel(Jeremy Piven) becomes a snitch against the mob, a contract on his life attracts all the scum and bounty hounters to Las Vegas to fulfill the contract. An FBI agent(Ryan Reynolds) has to sort out the multitude of hitmen, whilst they lay siege to a Vegas hotel.

The performances have more focus on them than you would expect from an action film, Ryan Reynolds has some moving character moments, and Jeremy Piven captivates the screen in the latter part of the movie, with his broken man portrayal, knowing his death is nearing.

Direction is nothing hugely special, conforming to all the generic conventions without making any innovations. The production values are very high, but artistic merit is very small.

The story does have a nice twist, which is somewhat predictable though, and the action scenes are enjoyable, although the action element of the film is very underplayed, building it more into a dramatic piece at times. A dark splashing of humour adds for some cynical laughs and round the film nicely.

Not a masterpiece by any means, Smokin' Aces finds itself caught between a drama and an action film, not fulfilling either fully. Giving some enjoyment and emotional experiences, this movie does have a fair bit to offer, the most powerful moments are with Jeremy Piven, and they are very impresive and stylised. Entertaining as this movie is, it's nothing hugely special, worth a viewing for fans of the genre, but by no means a brilliant piece of cinema.

http://blog.myspace.com/cyrusbales

The Cast of Carnahan's Smokin' Aces
Source: Heather Newgen January 24, 2007

R & B Grammy winning sensation Alicia Keys and hip hop artist Common star in their first movie ever--Universal Pictures' new action-comedy Smokin' Aces, written and directed by Joe Carnahan. The film is a kick ass vivacity flick featuring an all-star cast, including Ben Affleck, Andy Garcia, Ray Liotta, Jeremy Piven and Ryan Reynolds. Smokin' Aces will leave you on the edge of your seat enthralled in the intense action scenes.

ComingSoon.net talked to Piven, Reynolds, Keys, Common and actor Nestor Carbonell about starring in the film:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18436

Quote:Carmine Falcone

U.K. CRITICS SEEM TO HATE THE FILM...MEANING IT ROCKS!
Wow. Did the redcoats come out swinging at your boy! Handful of nasty
little reviews confirms these *****ebags have missed the mark. They've
been corrupted completely. This is the flick that will come back to haunt
them kids. The one that years from now they'll say 'Wow. I really blew that'
They'll come back kissing ass. Trust me. Vindication is a wonderful thing,
belated or otherwise.

Agreed!!!

^They look like they want to blow his crotch off...I can't type this without making it seem like a double entendre.
LOL!

Lets be honest, critcs are great, they know acting, they know directing

but most of them suck when it comes to judging movies made for a purpose besides making a classy picture

I will wait to see what Ebert says about the flick, becuase I have found him to be very level headed, giving movies like A beutiful mind, devils rejects, and like Rundown, all three different genre films, and all made to accomplish different goals, he gave all of them good reviews, and for the most part I agree

I'm not saying this is gunna be the best flick ever, but i will be surprised if by friday i am not fully entertianed

This got K-18 rating in Finland! Yay!

Teaser (11.14.06):
QuickTime, High Definition
QuickTime, Hi-Res
QuickTime, Med-Res
QuickTime, Lo-Res
iPod Video

International Teaser:
Flash Player

Trailer (11.29.06):
QuickTime, High Definition
QuickTime, Hi-Res
QuickTime, Med-Res
QuickTime, Lo-Res
Windows Media Player, Hi-Res
Windows Media Player, Med-Res
Windows Media Player, Lo-Res

International Trailer (12.22.06):
QuickTime, Hi-Res
QuickTime, Lo-Res

International TV Spot (12.24.06):
QuickTime, Hi-Res
QuickTime, Lo-Res

6 Clips (12.19.06):
Windows Media Player, Various

4 R-Rated Clips (1.11.07):
Flash Player, Various

YES! I'm getting to see this tomorrow night! and I'm getting a free hat and t-shirt with my free ticket.

God, I love going to college for film.

Smokin' Aces
Starring: Jeremy Piven, Alicia Keys, Ben Affleck, Common

Directed by: Joe Carnahan
RS: 3of 4 Stars Average User Rating: 3.5of 4 Stars

Best consumed with pizza and lots of brewskis, Joe Carnahan's Smokin' Aces is shamelessly and unapologetically a guy movie. It's lewd, crude and loaded with shootouts and hot lesbo action. It's also made up of spare parts, as if Quentin Tarantino's pulp and Danny Boyle's Trainspotting cool were being welded by -- yikes! -- Guy Ritchie, swept away from the arduous duty of directing his Madonna wife and going bug-**** like he did in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The result is hardly original, or groundbreaking, or even necessary, but it sure as hell gets the job done.

Read the rest here:http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/12369935/review/13247238/smokin_aces

^So basically any guy that doesn't like it basically needs to have his penis removed and a vagina placed in its stead. :o

has anyone other than me seen this flick?

i have,i posted a brief view on it earlier in the thread,a lot of our US comrades won't see it till this weekend,for some reason the movie got a UK release first

i have,i posted a brief view on it earlier in the thread,a lot of our US comrades won't see it till this weekend,for some reason the movie got a UK release first

that's just plain weird, lol. I feel many people will be disapointed though :( especially since this has it's own thread :wow: :csad:

Yeah, I was excited when I first caught wind of this film, but my excitement has died down. I'll probably check it out this weekend, though.

I'm not sure the mainstream will be disappointed. If you're a fan of Carnahan's other stuff, you may be, but I suspect this will be the hot thing this weekend for the male demographic and their girls that get dragged along.

anyone expecting a 30 minute shootout will be disappointed.

however, the movie still kicks ass.

I just got back from it

it kicks ass

it feels alot like Lucky Number Slevin, where it is really fun and playful in the beginning and then it breaks down to a serious flick at the end

imo its more fun when its fun, than lucky number slevin, and more serious when its serious, but getting from fun to serious is a little worse than Slevin

in saying that I really dug both Slevin and Aces so i would give Slevin a slight advantage in the crime/thiller/action raiting and give Aces about a 8/10 vs Slevins like 8.3/10

This'll be relesead 2 March here. So I'll be waiting for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"