Sequels So what's next for You-Know-You? (SPOILER THREAD! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!)

Exactly. The Emperor was mentioned in the first Star Wars movie but he didn't actually play a direct role until Return of the Jedi. There's no reason that Thanos has to be the main villain in Avengers 2 just because he cameo'd in the first movie. Given that Marvel is planning a Guardians of the Galaxy movie, I half expect for Thanos to appear there before he appears as a villain in Avengers 3.

Kevin Feige in a interview mention that he did a lot of reading on the making of Star Wars.

Here's what I don't get about all these theories about Thanos wanting to gain control of the Cosmic Cube:

.....he already has control of the Cosmic Cube.

Look, if he can open portals through the Cube from the other side of the galaxy to let Loki sneak in, don't you think he already commands the Cube? If he really wanted the Cube, he would've just stepped into SHIELD's JDEM lab through that portal he created, splattered Fury & Co. to oblivion, and taken the Cube back home to Oz. Instead of sending someone like Loki on a mission that he knew was doomed to fail.

He set Loki up. That's pretty clear. He knew Loki would fail, and he knew that the Cube would wind up back in Asgard. Which means, as Captain Marvel has said above, that Thanos is clearly after something in Asgard.

Given that the Infinity Gauntlet was already teased in the Thor movie, and given Thanos' long and storied history with that shiny glove, it makes perfect sense that this is *exactly* what he's been after all along.

It's not a hard train of thought to follow, folks. Makes perfect sense.

:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud

applause.gif

Joss Whedon has said that he feels a common fallacy than befalls a lot of movie sequels, especially action/super hero movies, is an attempt the previous film in terms of action and epicness. Going from that, he's said that he'd like to avoid that by making the Avengers sequel quieter and more personal. Not that there won't be action, but the goal would be to top the dramatic elements of the first film as opposed to the spectacle of it.

My point in bringing this up is that Thanos, an evil genius who's insane and is trying to impress death by murdering everyone so she'll go out with him is the perfect character to engage in some really dark, twisted mind ****ery with the characters and I hope that's the way the next film goes. Portraying Thanos as a threat not because he's the most powerful guy ever, but because he's completely unrelenting in his cruelty and hurts them in very direct and personal ways. I think that would be totally awesome.

I have a darkness in me. :dry:

Joss Whedon has said that he feels a common fallacy than befalls a lot of movie sequels, especially action/super hero movies, is an attempt the previous film in terms of action and epicness. Going from that, he's said that he'd like to avoid that by making the Avengers sequel quieter and more personal. Not that there won't be action, but the goal would be to top the dramatic elements of the first film as opposed to the spectacle of it.

My point in bringing this up is that Thanos, an evil genius who's insane and is trying to impress death by murdering everyone so she'll go out with him is the perfect character to engage in some really dark, twisted mind ****ery with the characters and I hope that's the way the next film goes. Portraying Thanos as a threat not because he's the most powerful guy ever, but because he's completely unrelenting in his cruelty and hurts them in very direct and personal ways. I think that would be totally awesome.

emperorGrins.jpg

gooooood.....gooooood

Feel the darkness flowing through you, young Jedi

And in what way does that contradict the Infinity Gauntlet being brought in? All you have are your suppositions, which are founded on thin air. I, on the other hand, have something to support my position. A prop which Marvel spent good money to have constructed. A prop which Marvel displayed for all the world to see. A prop which Feige dropped an oblique hint about during an awards ceremony about how the audience isn't supposed to see it yet, implying that it will be seen.

You keep getting stuck on 'they constructed it, so it must be used.' All that means is that they planned to use it at one time. What have I supposed, exactly? All I'm doing is telling you what the movies said, you're the only one suggesting there's more to it.

Because he doesn't give a damn about taking over the universe. He's after genocide, not conquest. And given what his lackey said at the end of Avengers and his reaction, it's clear that Death is still his #1 priority even in the MCU. And for all the power the cube has, it doesn't hold a candle to the Infinity Gems.

You're right, but that's a bit of a nitpick. My point was the cube gives him what he needs to accomplish his goals.

According to the Red Skull, who's hardly an authority. I very much doubt he got a look at the complete catalog of items which Odin keeps in his treasure room.

In a film, exposition is exposition, not character development. See how you have to contradict the movie's storyline to get your point, while all I have to do is say 'hey, Feige didn't know the exact story of Avengers before it was written.' This answers your early question, how it contradicts.

And I wish you wouldn't be so purposely obtuse when Marvel is blatantly telegraphing their moves. Especially when, despite your claims, it doesn't contradict anything that happens in the movies. I mean, you're talking about paying attention? Feige himself hinted at the Infinity Gauntlet playing a role down the road. If there's anyone who should have some idea about what route Marvel's going to be taking in the movies, one would think that it's Kevin Feige.

I took that as an indication that they were planning to use Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet Storyline (which you can do with any macguffin). Perhaps they'll do the Infinity Gauntlet. Whedon can juggle six superheroes, that's never been done, perhaps he can also juggle two different cosmic level superdevices, which has also never been done. Sure. Whatev.

But it was never in their long term plan to have gems spread out throughout multiple movies and take over those storylines (thank goodness). And the story works without the IG, so including it could be a waste of time and energy. I guess we'll see.

Here's what I don't get about all these theories about Thanos wanting to gain control of the Cosmic Cube:

.....he already has control of the Cosmic Cube.

Look, if he can open portals through the Cube from the other side of the galaxy to let Loki sneak in, don't you think he already commands the Cube? If he really wanted the Cube, he would've just stepped into SHIELD's JDEM lab through that portal he created, splattered Fury & Co. to oblivion, and taken the Cube back home to Oz. Instead of sending someone like Loki on a mission that he knew was doomed to fail.

He set Loki up. That's pretty clear. He knew Loki would fail, and he knew that the Cube would wind up back in Asgard. Which means, as Captain Marvel has said above, that Thanos is clearly after something in Asgard.

Given that the Infinity Gauntlet was already teased in the Thor movie, and given Thanos' long and storied history with that shiny glove, it makes perfect sense that this is *exactly* what he's been after all along.

It's not a hard train of thought to follow, folks. Makes perfect sense.

This is a great point. The best one so far for the use of the IG, imho. It does make sense that he wants something from Asgard, as that's what he's set up for. The Infinity Gauntlet still doesn't make sense in the context of the films, as you said, the reason we expect it is because of the history in the comics, not because it makes sense in the films. I mean, what you're saying makes sense, but by the same token, if Odin has the IG sitting 6 gems full in his treasure room... why did Loki take the Casket instead? Why did Odin need to gather dark energy in order to send Thor to Earth?

So yes, a very easy train of thought to follow. That doesn't mean it goes anywhere.

I really can't say how excited I am about Whedon going that way with a sequel. I don't think Thanos is the character for that, though. I could be wrong, but I don't know that he's been a big torturer before. He seems really impersonal.

I really can't say how excited I am about Whedon going that way with a sequel. I don't think Thanos is the character for that, though. I could be wrong, but I don't know that he's been a big torturer before. He seems really impersonal.

He's also not much of a brawler. He's strong enough to be one, but he generally orchestrates situations where his enemies are just royally ****ed.

He is impersonal, but I think that's a part of his cruelty. If the way to defeat a hero involves murdering his parents in front of him to demoralize him, Thanos would do it and barely think about it. That's the kind of personal I'm talking about.

This is a great point. The best one so far for the use of the IG, imho. It does make sense that he wants something from Asgard, as that's what he's set up for. The Infinity Gauntlet still doesn't make sense in the context of the films, as you said, the reason we expect it is because of the history in the comics, not because it makes sense in the films. I mean, what you're saying makes sense, but by the same token, if Odin has the IG sitting 6 gems full in his treasure room... why did Loki take the Casket instead? Why did Odin need to gather dark energy in order to send Thor to Earth?

So yes, a very easy train of thought to follow. That doesn't mean it goes anywhere.

It's highly unlikely that Loki could ever wield the Gauntlet. (Or even wear it....have you seen the size of that thing? It was built for Thanos' big mitt.) Maybe not even Odin. *Thanos* created the Gauntlet, as a way to control all six Infinity Gems. Which means that, in the MCU, the events of the Infinity Gauntlet/War etc. have already taken place, after a fashion. And Odin somehow wound up in control of the Gauntlet. And now Thanos wants it back.

It's highly unlikely that Loki could ever wield the Gauntlet. (Or even wear it....have you seen the size of that thing? It was built for Thanos' big mitt.) Maybe not even Odin. *Thanos* created the Gauntlet, as a way to control all six Infinity Gems. Which means that, in the MCU, the events of the Infinity Gauntlet/War etc. have already taken place, after a fashion. And Odin somehow wound up in control of the Gauntlet. And now Thanos wants it back.

So, they had the means to solve all their problems... but their hands weren't big enough? This didn't even get a mention? Is that a plausible explanation in a film? This all powerful thing is tucked away on the side of the room because it's too big for my hands?

The IG may indeed play a role, but it clearly isn't what it is in the comics.

He's also not much of a brawler. He's strong enough to be one, but he generally orchestrates situations where his enemies are just royally ****ed.

He is impersonal, but I think that's a part of his cruelty. If the way to defeat a hero involves murdering his parents in front of him to demoralize him, Thanos would do it and barely think about it. That's the kind of personal I'm talking about.

Could be interesting. It's not the way I would go, but I can't deny it has an appeal.

For the sake of the movies, I don't think it would be too far-fetched to say the gauntlet form fits to the person trying to wield it. I'm sure that won't be the case, but it would make sense.

I could see Loki wearing it, but that doesn't mean he can make it work. For someone not on Thanos' level it would just be a giant accessory that looks pretty with the gems in it.

Last edited:
Since someone brought up Craptastic Four: Demise of the Silver Surfer, I just realized the saddest thing about introducing Thanos into this series. We'll never get to see him duke it out with Norrin Radd. :(

That's a shame, at least for some of us, because that was how I was introduced to Thanos. And the Surfer is one of the few heroes who could give Thanos a run for his money. It sucks that Fox owns the rights to him now.

Maybe they can work out a deal,like they did w/Paramount.Where FOX gets a % of the movie gross and release The FF under FOX logo,but it will still be own by Disney.

I would put Thanos in the Guardians of the Galaxy project as some other posters have visioned. He is too big a threat to be reduced to the Earth.

Avengers still has formidable foes. Ultron, Kang, MoE. All suffice and that is material for three more movies if I can count.

So, they had the means to solve all their problems... but their hands weren't big enough? This didn't even get a mention? Is that a plausible explanation in a film? This all powerful thing is tucked away on the side of the room because it's too big for my hands?

The IG may indeed play a role, but it clearly isn't what it is in the comics.

It's far, far more complicated than that.

What it boils down to is that the Infinity Gems are entities. Highly, highly intelligent and fickle ones. You do not choose them, they choose you. If they choose not to grant you their powers, they don't do it, period. And even when Thanos first made the Gauntlet, *he* wasn't even aware of its full power: he just created it as a place to gather the six gems together and wield their power separately....it wasn't until years later that he found out that the Gauntlet could combine the powers of the Gems and give him utter omnipotence.

But no, you don't just walk up and put the Gauntlet on and expect to do anything with it. Doesn't work that way. At all.

I'd like to see Drax the Destroyer at some point, simply because of how personal his grudge with Thanos is.

It's far, far more complicated than that.

What it boils down to is that the Infinity Gems are entities. Highly, highly intelligent and fickle ones. You do not choose them, they choose you. If they choose not to grant you their powers, they don't do it, period. And even when Thanos first made the Gauntlet, *he* wasn't even aware of its full power: he just created it as a place to gather the six gems together and wield their power separately....it wasn't until years later that he found out that the Gauntlet could combine the powers of the Gems and give him utter omnipotence.

But no, you don't just walk up and put the Gauntlet on and expect to do anything with it. Doesn't work that way. At all.

:doh: That's cool for the comics. "Ten bucks" says it won't work like that in the films. How could it?

I would put Thanos in the Guardians of the Galaxy project as some other posters have visioned. He is too big a threat to be reduced to the Earth.

Hmmm... hasn't he been to Earth before, though? I think the Guardians of the Galaxy movie will really just exist to explain and extrapolate on Thanos and his powers and motives and such.

Last edited:
:doh: That's cool for the comics. "Ten bucks" says it won't work like that in the films. How could it?

How couldn't it....? Joss proved that what works in the comics *does* work in movies, too. He brought a genuine 4-color comic book to life, and it worked beyond anyone's wildest expectations. It's a new era....whatever is possible in the comics is possible in the movie universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"