Songs you are fed up of hearing

Thebumwhowalks

Superhero
Reaction score
I saw this thread on another board, so am posting it over here, if you wanna list any songs that do your nut in, please do, whether you used to like them, or whether you hated them from the off but can't avoid them because they are played ad nauseum on the radio/tv/movies, maybe being played in an advert ruined them for you, etc...

ok, first one for me is definitely Nirvana's 'Come As You Are', I was a big Nirvana fan, but even when I first heard this on Nevermind, it was never one of my favs, thought it was ok, now, I can't stand hearing it, and it gets played on the radio a lot. I don't know why a DJ would pick this out of all the Nirvana songs to play on the radio, it is depressing as f.
The lyrics about not having a gun...the riff which is the same as one from a Killing Joke song, and sounds dreary....it just goes on and on and on....stop playing this frickin song please, it is sh**e.

Anything by Bruce Springsteen...don't know what it is exactly, some kind of boring worthiness vibe I get from his records just rubs me up the wrong way, I have to change the station when this dude comes on the radio these days.

Roxette's 'It must have been love, but it's over now', why anyone would want to listen to a record like this under any circumstances is beyond my comprehension. Sure, maybe you are going through a break up and you want to get a bit self indulgent as part of a cathartic process, but surely you can pick a better record than this? Bland crap.
If you are going through a break up, listen to something else ffs, get this record off the radar, I am sick of hearing it, although I haven't heard it for a while I admit.
But I truly hate this record, it stinks.

T.Rex's Hot Love, I like a fair amount of T.Rex songs, and when i started listening to them in my teens, I thought this one was fine, but holy sh**, I can't stand it now, another one that goes on and on and on, but this one deliberately makes an effort of trying to pull a 'Hey Jude' with the record breaking repeating outro, and only succeeds in being completely annoying as a result, in a change the ****ing record kind of way, as if the needle is stuck, the preceding song is pretty bland too.

the Special's 'Ghost Town', now this is a good record, but I cannot stand listening to it now, and it's because of that Father Ted episode. If you have not seen it...they organise a church disco and the DJ loses his records or something, and only has this one, so the record gets played ad nauseum for comedic effect throughout the episode, but it absolutely killed the song for me, seriously, not that i was a massive fan of it in the first place, but i liked it when I'd heard it now and again, and appreciated it's sound, but now, it depresses the hell out of me, haha, just makes me think of that depressing disco in Father Ted, and the intro got played over and over so many times...killed it's mysterious allure.

That Paul Simon song, 'You can call me Al', I don't know wtf this song is about, and I don't wanna know, just sounds like a lot of twee sh**e to me, I know it was recorded years before Quantum Leap, but even it had been recorded afterwards, and they told me it was an affectionate tribute to that show, i would still hate it, and that is the kind of thing that can sometimes make me like a record where i didn't much before.
Paul Simon did well to get Garfunkle in to sing his best records, because, I don't know how to put it more succinctly, but Paul Simon has a totally punchable singing voice, twee and cloying and annoying, somebody punch him please and make him stop singing please, please somebody punch his wee chubby face in please.
I honestly don't know how someone can get in the house, switch on the record player, and choose to actually put that on and enjoy it, absolutely boggles my mind that there are people who do that.

Last edited:
Lana Del Ray: Video Games (or was it the other one, they sound the same to me). God. It's played ad infinitum on that radio station we listen to at work... it's the only one we receive well. Sometimes I think I'll take the nearest blunt object and smash it on the radio until either gives up.

do not speak ill of T.REX!!! :mad:

I like all of the Electric Warrior album, and most of their big hits, I just can't stand Hot Love these days.

who_me said:
Lana Del Ray: Video Games (or was it the other one, they sound the same to me). God. It's played ad infinitum on that radio station we listen to at work... it's the only one we receive well. Sometimes I think I'll take the nearest blunt object and smash it on the radio until either gives up.

I listen to the radio a lot, every day for a couple of hours, and I have to say I still like both of her songs that get played a lot(the other being Born to Die), she has that ethereal thing going on in her voice and song production, and it works very well. I caught a bit of her performance on American Idol the other day, she fluffed a couple of lines, went a bit out of tune, but she was still pretty good.

I hear a lot of songs on the radio that end up grating on me due to their constant airplay, but those haven't worn out on me yet.
Maybe it's the context that you are hearing them in, I listen to the radio when I am sitting in the bath, so I can get into that dreamy vibe, but if you feeling stressed at work, I can imagine those songs being more liable to grate on you, as they try to instill in you a relaxing, spaced out kind of feeling, and it might annoy you because you just don't have the situation conductive to that state of mind, it might piss you off because the vibe will remind you that you'd rather be at home relaxing.

Adele - "Rolling in the Deep" / "Someone Like You". Both totally overplayed. The second one is also just depressing, and the whole "I wish nothing but the best for you" message directed at an ex just rubs me the wrong way.

Rihanna - any song

Pitbull - "Give Me Everything". Just very artificial and sick of hearing it.

Katy Perry - "Firework". Drives home the message that Katy Perry can't sing that well. But still better than "I Kissed a Girl".

Nicki Minaj - "Super Bass". But really, her rapping annoys the hell out of me no matter what song she's on. She does have a good singing voice, though. And is totally hot.

Nicki Minaj - "Super Bass". But really, her rapping annoys the hell out of me no matter what song she's on. She does have a good singing voice, though. And is totally hot.

I have to say, her record company totally missed a trick marketing her, they could have switched the first letters in her name and called her 'Micki Ninja', had her on the cover of her debut album sneaking up to a mousetrap, and called it 'Stealin' Da Cheese.'
I would have bought that.

Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks. Jesus, do I hate that song.

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody.
Or, any Queen song for the matter.
If I could go the rest of my life without hearing a Queen song, I'd considered myself blessed, as they have been grossly overplayed.

Adele - "Rolling in the Deep" / "Someone Like You". Both totally overplayed.

:cmad: I've never heard songs so over played in my life. Every station plays it constantly and a lot of times at the same time. I change the station to get away from it but guess what its already playing on a different channel I check. :fst:

Those 'One Direction' songs. They are played all the time. I'm also fed up with how obsessed with them everyone is.

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody.
If I could go the rest of my life without hearing a Queen song, I'd considered myself blessed, as they have been grossly overplayed.

Blasphemy right there. There's more to Queen than We Will Rock You and A Kind of Magic.

I have to side with people naming the popular Adele songs. She's a good singer, but it's TOO MUCH

Last edited:
Gotye - Somebody that I used to know. The voice of this guy drives me up the wall.

I have a friend who tends to get stuck on one song, and he will play it on the jukebox 7 times a night every night.... right now he's stuck on this one, and it's driving me crazy!

Aye, that song does my nut in when I hear it on the radio, they play it a lot, y'know how a woman sings on the third verse or whatever it is, well, I think if she was singing the whole song I'd like it a lot more, her voice is better.

Anything by:

Adele
Katy Perry
Pitbull
Taylor Swift (All her songs are about the same damn thing.)

Actually I am tired of R&B, pop, and rap in general.

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

Oh I used to love singing to this song, (Yeah, I still kind of like Celine's older 90's stuff.) but wow am I tired of listening to it now.

Celine Dion - My Heart Will Go On

Oh I used to love singing to this song, (Yeah, I still kind of like Celine's older 90's stuff.) but wow am I tired of listening to it now.

If it taken you this long to get sick of that song, this opinion does not count. :oldrazz:

y'know how i was talking about Ghost Town? well, i just heard a remix of the song on the radio, I tried to listen to it, but I just couldn't i had to switch it over, even a different mix. That Father Ted ep ruined it for me.

Other songs I can't stand hearing...Jet and Band on the run by McCartney and Wings....I was just listening to an old Spitting Image comedy record there, and it had a line about liking one McCartney and Wings song(and that being remarkable), and it reminded me, so i guess they were talking about Live and Let die, because I still like that one.

and...holy moses, i forgot how much I hate hearing these ones on the radio, switch over rightaway no question...'Love in an elevator', and 'Dude looks like a lady', wtf is up with that song DLLAL?! it just repeats that line over and over and over ad nauseum?!!? how can anyone listen to that song and enjoy it?!

Def Leppard...anything by them, i kind of feel guilty about this, because they seem like nice guys, they frickin waited for their drummer to learn to play the drums one armed after he lost one ffs, i wish i could like their songs but i can't.

Elton John...anything by him with the exception of 'I'm Still Standing', I mean, it is quite remarkable how much I dislike all of his songs, but the reverse is true of ISS, that song is frickin amazing, c'mon Def Leppard, you need to write one like that for me, i need one song from you guys i can really get into.

'The Wind Cries Mary' by Hendrix, holy sh**, this is really like how the lyrics describe it for me, 'A Broom is drearily sweeping...', that is exactly how this song feels to me, the feeling you get when you are ill and listless but you still have to sweep up all the smelly dusty stuff into one of those little dust pans...that is it, that is exactly how this song makes me feel. fug that noise.
Also, 'Red House' by Hendrix, in fact, any of his blues songs, they are all boring ass dreary dirges, I do like blues songs, but Hendrix is better at his rock songs, stop trying to be authentic Jimi and just do the commercial stuff, you know it's what you really want to do, stop trying to impress the ghost of Robert Johnson or whoever, pop some acid and pop some acid pop.

Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody.

One night at a karaoke bar I heard patrons sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" no less than three times over the course of the evening. Come on, guys! It's one of those great songs that I've heard too often to really enjoy anymore.

There are so many great Queen songs that people in North America don't really know; for some reason they seemed to lose popularity here after 1980.

P.S. Def Leppard were awesome in their heyday.

"We Are Young" by FUN. I liked it at first before it got all over the radio (yes, I'm such a hipster) but my problem with it isn't that it got all over the radio. It's that the chorus got stuck in my head, and it's getting really, really annoying.

I remember my girlfriend was listening to Adelle off and on forever ago before the radio got a hold of her. She maybe played it three times on occasion. I remember waiting for this fad to be over because I couldn't stand how whiny and depressing and passively optimistic she is. I can't imagine anyone wanting to emotionally be with her because, after what's made it onto her pretentiously titled albums, you never know what'll stay private. I get artists are supposed to sing what they feel, but my God, blink-182 manages to mask them in creative lyrics (and I realize we're talking about blink-182).

Now the radio at work plays her stuff regularly on the hour. I'm eagerly waiting for her public breakdown.

I'm glad Adele is getting the recognition she deserves because she is genuinely good and talented. I am tired of listening to her songs because they're so vastly overplayed on the radio and suddenly everyone is covering her songs. People do need to relax about her, but she is a real talent and should stick around. So much better her than Gaga, Perry, Rihanna, and all those other clowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"