Sony Pictures Plans Gran Turismo

It honestly doesn't look horrible. The trailer was pretty cool in Dolby Atmos.

Yeah it looks pretty good. Harbour, Hounsou and Bloom are all great, and Darren Barnet is really good on Never Have I Ever. Plus, Geri Halliwell. Not familiar with the lead actor but Blomkamp usually has good leads. Could be really cool.

Well, I'll find out this Saturday when I see it. Apparently, they're still holding screenings even though it's been pushed back a week.

Oof. Yeah I saw a review that where they said Blomkamp redefines the video game commercial genre, lol.

Parts of the movie felt weird like it felt like forced lip service sequences for the video game, almost like a recruitment video for GT Academy or Gran Turismo. What's funny is they even got an actor to portray the creator of the game series in the film.

These scenes did have a certain unnatural synthetic quality to them. Parts of it did have me wondering "is this a movie, or is this a fancy-pants PlayStation showcase?" It's sort of like Blomkamp's old background coming to the surface.

Well, I'll find out this Saturday when I see it. Apparently, they're still holding screenings even though it's been pushed back a week.
It was actually pushed back two weeks due to the strikes and the cast and crew not being able to promote the film, but they are having early sneak previews over the next two weekends to try and build word of mouth.

Seems to be getting ok reviews. 59% isn't really the death knell people play like it is. Basically seems like an ok if not generic movie, which is what the trailers made it seem like to me. I'll probably wait until Netflix personally tho

Last edited:
I liked it more than I thought I would. Good racing sequences and a good underdog story. Just a really good blockbuster overall, to be honest

Yeah, I had fun with it. It's a very straightforward sports/teen drama that has all the typical tropes but it still works. It looks and sounds amazing on Dolby... and I think Neil finally bounced back.

Wow!! This was a sneaky hit from nowhere especially after the bog standard trailer. This was a great movie. Just done everything well dived into the athletics and psychological aspects of being a motorsports driver. David Harbour was particularly good in this film and just brought the right of energy to the character and pretty much aced every scene, Archie,Orlando,Geri done well with what they had and also a shout out to Djimon, certain scenes between him and Archie (Yes i started to well up) This movie had heart. The driving scenes were done well even if i was annoyed by the cinematic aspects
photo finish 3 or 4 times, come onnn

The characters really had some meat to them and were written well. By the end of GT it honestly delivers well on being a competently made film with a descent payoff, credit to Neil Blomkamp and everyone involved. I may be slightly biased but as someone who does league racing in my spare time this film hit all the right notes,

8.5/10

Well damn. It won’t make a lot of money because of the $4 ticket event this weekend but could help word of mouth

Is CinemaScore truly a reliable metric? Dead Reckoning also got an A.

What was the budget for this?
Apparently just 60 million.
Is CinemaScore truly a reliable metric? Dead Reckoning also got an A.
It shows a tendency but I think people give it more credit than they should, in the grand scheme of things. It's only a fraction of the audience and obviously it's just in the US. I don't believe it affects box office as much or that there's that many people who consult it before watching a film. And yeah the rating is kind of all over the place usually.

An A Cinemascore just means people didn’t hate it. Anything lower than A means it generally won’t appeal to a mass audience

I love the way Mr. Sunday Movies reviewed this. It was something along the lines of “if you absolutely have to go see a movie this weekend, this one isn’t too bad.” :hehe:

I can't wait to see this on streaming as i really want to see Ginger Spice of the Spice Girls, aka Geri Halliwell.

I'm surprised with the reviews. It feels like movies based from videogames are gettin' better.

I'll catch this on streaming but glad to hear a bunch you are liking it.

Hmm I didn't enjoy this. Not enough Ginger Spice but the story also didn't grab as well. The entire thing felt very vanilla. Nothing so bad and nothing so good either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"