Sound Issues?

Drakon

I got a rock.
Reaction score
Whenever I try to listen to Winamp, for some reason, my sounds either stutters really bad, crackles [think of an old Vinyl Record player, for those of you who remember those], plays at a slower tempo [like a walkman with low batteries], or a combination of the three.

I think it might just be that I need more RAM, but that's my solution for almost anything. And I'm sure that Captain Bryan will come in here and tell me to clear my cache, and failing that, reformat my PC. :p

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

What's a walkman?
:(
It may be your soundcard, actually. Do you have onboard sound, or is it an PCI soundcard?
Have you tried playing the stuff using something other than WinAMP? (Might I suggest iTunes..? ;))

It's onboard, so that could very well be an issue.

And it still works the same, be in iTunes, or even if I open an MP3 in Firefox.

You may want to try a driver re-install. Or maybe picking up a $20 PCI card? Otherwise my knowledge of "things and stuff" isn't going to help right now, I'm tired.

^What he said. Search the board builder's website, they should have sound drivers around.
But anyway, when did it start giving you problems? Any specific situation?

It started a long time ago, but since I barely had time to listen to my PC since my roomie's always watching TV and I don't really like headphones, I didn't listen to it. But now I can hear it and it annoys me.

I'm probably gonna just get a new sound card regardless. Now to just get more ram and a new video card.

Do you know anyone who has an external soundcard? I'd try that first, cause if it didn't work you should "clear your cache, and failing that, reformat your PC"
;)

Hm. I could snag my roomie's one. I did give it to him and all.

Well new soundcard did me little good. It worked fine for a while, then, well, it just didn't. IT went right back to stuttering and lagging sound.

Completely off-topic, but..."what's a walkman?"? I'm 17--I should not have to feel old yet.

Drakon said:
Well new soundcard did me little good. It worked fine for a while, then, well, it just didn't. IT went right back to stuttering and lagging sound.
Well, that means it's not a hardware problem, most likely.. :p
Boba_Fett_123 said:
Completely off-topic, but..."what's a walkman?"? I'm 17--I should not have to feel old yet.
It was a joke, man. I said it cause he was talking about how some people wouldn't know what a record was. ;)

This is starting to sound like a corrupt sound driver or something else gone corrupt in your system install, Drak. My advice to you is to junk your PC and get a Mac. :p

jag

Sure, just send me a check and I'd be more than happy to do so. :p

Any other advice, though?

Drakon said:
Sure, just send me a check and I'd be more than happy to do so. :p

Any other advice, though?

Welll, that part about a corrupt sound card driver still applies. Try deleting the device alltogether and letting the system reinstall it. Might also be worth a reinstall of Windoze if that doesn't resolve the issue, as it sounds like system or driver corruption at some level.

jag

Try downloading the newest version of WinAmp. I had a crackle too, and downloaded the newest version and it worked fine. Also, I'm sure you all ready did this, but check the equalizer on WinAmp itself. Also make sure that maybe on of your speakers hasn't gone to hell.

jaguarr said:
Welll, that part about a corrupt sound card driver still applies. Try deleting the device alltogether and letting the system reinstall it. Might also be worth a reinstall of Windoze if that doesn't resolve the issue, as it sounds like system or driver corruption at some level.

Well, wouldn't the sound driver be a moot point, since I also tried it on a different sound card altogether? And I'd love to reformat, but I can't find my Windows XP disc. I'm long overdue for a format to begin with.

punishermax said:
Try downloading the newest version of WinAmp. I had a crackle too, and downloaded the newest version and it worked fine. Also, I'm sure you all ready did this, but check the equalizer on WinAmp itself. Also make sure that maybe on of your speakers hasn't gone to hell.

I've downloaded the newest version, as well as the last two, and two different versions of iTunes. And I know it's not my speakers, because it also happens on my headphones. Not to mention that it only does that to me when I am trying to play WoW and listen to Winamp.

Drakon said:
Well, wouldn't the sound driver be a moot point, since I also tried it on a different sound card altogether? And I'd love to reformat, but I can't find my Windows XP disc. I'm long overdue for a format to begin with.

Not if it keeps using the same corrupted sound driver for any card you use, or if there's a corruption elsewhere in your system install. It would still have the same issues if that were the case.

jag

Yeah, I do need to do that.

Thanks, man. I was afraid you were gonna say that.

I hate to disturb ancient relics, but this is something to be said.

I've reformatted since then. The problem seems to be whenever I do anything that involves getting information from the internet [loading a webpage, playing WoW, even talking to people on AIM sometimes, though not often].

Solution: Stay off the internet. :D

jag

Then make with the good advice, E-dith! Or suffer the Con-see-quences!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"