Spanking Children can lead to problems later in life!

vibeke_T

Superhero
Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - Parents who teach "tough love" by disciplining their children with spankings could be making them more likely to have sexual problems as teenagers and adults, a leading researcher said.
Professor Murray Straus, of the University of New Hampshire, found that children who are spanked or experience other corporal punishment have a raised risk as teenagers and adults to verbally or physically coerce a partner into having sex.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080229/lf_nm_life/children_spanking_dc

I dont buy it!

I guess this means I'll be an abusive boyfriend.

That or very kinky. Some chicks dig it. The choking and all that.

There is no right way to raise a child. You can spank them or not, and they could turn out 100 different ways.

I don't do it myself. I've never felt the need to go that far when there are other measures that work as well or better. However, the reaction to spanking and how effective it is depends on the child, the situation and how it's used as a tool for discipline.

I wonder how this research was put together.

bull.

everyone nees a spanking now and then

I was spanked and now I am full of venom and rage.

It probably depends on how late into childhood that they were spanked.

...or how often . I don't think typical spanking would be to blame . However abusive parents might make a case.

I was spanked, and now I work at TGIFridays... a link? I THINK SO...

Total bull. Some of the absolutely perviest people I know in the kink scene weren't spanked at ALL when they were kids.

jag

I don't do it myself. I've never felt the need to go that far when there are other measures that work as well or better. However, the reaction to spanking and how effective it is depends on the child, the situation and how it's used as a tool for discipline.

I wonder how this research was put together.

You hit the nail on the head, man. Every kid is different and they all respond to different things. A perfect example are my two nephews, ages 9 and 6. The older one will avoid a spanking at all costs and just the idea of one will make him fall in line. The younger one could care less and he'll defiantly take a spanking and then go back to doing whatever it was he wasn't supposed to be doing. Only thing that works with him is time outs and taking his favorite toys away. All these "experts" trying to apply blanket rules to child rearing are just trying to make a name for themselves, but they really aren't helping anyone.

jag

Psychological warfare...er...I mean, discipline, FTW!

like most of the other posters I call bull on this one.

Spanking never made me a sex perv, all it made me do was stop kicking cousins in the eyes, etc.

Oh please. My mom spanked me as a child, and I can't even talk dirty without feeling awkward.

I really can't stand this new don't spank the children bs. Virtually everyone I know was physically disciplined (family and friend including myself) and none of them have been emotional scared by it. Sometimes spanking is the only way you can get it through the child's head.

i wouldn't know i never got my ass kicked by my mom or dad.

i wouldn't know i never got my ass kicked by my mom or dad.
Its not an ass kicking, its a procedure to ensure that your kid looks both ways before crossing the street. But like others said, its not necessary, it just doesn't really have the outrageous side affects some studies claim.

Nothing wrong with spankings. I just wish that lady wouldn't use the studded paddle.

But seriously, spare the rod, spoil the child.

Psychological warfare...er...I mean, discipline, FTW!

It really is a form of psychological warfare. You are maneuvering the child, sometimes subliminally, to get them to do what you want. We found that taking something away that the child likes that we have built up as something special does the trick most times at this stage. (she's 2) She likes to watch Snoopy movies. If she's bad, she knows that she can't watch Snoopy, which she does every day that she's good. She has been very good at daycare for weeks , even when others around her have hit, bit (she got bit by another 2 year old, but didn't reciprocate) and acted up. It's amazing what you can do if you think your way through the problem and use what she likes to do as a means for disciplining her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"