Sperm Donor to pay Child Support

SuBe

Voluntaryist
Reaction score
Sperm Donor Ordered to Pay Child Support for 18-Year-Old

Sunday, December 02, 2007
foxnews_story.gif

A New York doctor who donated his sperm to help a gay colleague conceive has been ordered to pay child support for the boy, now an 18-year-old living in Oregon, the New York Post reported Sunday.
The donor was a married doctor at a Long Island hospital in the late 1980s when he donated his sperm to a female hospital resident who was trying to have a baby with her lesbian partner, the Post reported. Although the donor gave up all claims and rights to the child, he allowed his name to be put on the birth certificate.
Click here to read the full story at the New York Post.
For several years after the boy's birth in 1989, the doctor sent the child gifts and money and cards signed "Dad" and had regular contact with the child, the Post reported. However, when the boy moved to Oregon with his mother and her partner in 1993, regular contact stopped. Since then, the man's contact with the child consisted of seven phone calls and one brief meeting over the past 15 years.
A New York family court judge ruled last month that the man must now pay child support for the boy, now 18 and heading to college, the Post reported.

How can you pay child support for someone who is no longer legally considered a child? And, he made his arrangement as a donor only but sort of tripped himself up when he started trying to be the kid's "dad". This will go to an appeal, I'm sure. The legal precedent it sets could be devastating to guys all over the country who donated to sperm banks.

jag

How can you pay child support for someone who is no longer legally considered a child? And, he made his arrangement as a donor only but sort of tripped himself up when he started trying to be the kid's "dad". This will go to an appeal, I'm sure. The legal precedent it sets could be devastating to guys all over the country who donated to sperm banks.

jag

This is pretty ****ed up right here. :(

that sounds fair, the guy was basically a dad to the child. so its like if the biological parents were separated, though i do agree why now at such a mature age for the child. where as if the donation had been anonymous then it may be different

That... makes no sense. That makes no sense at all.

I mean... what?

Did the lesbian parents go to court to make the Doctor pay child support? What the hell kind of case did their lawyer put forward to convince the judge that this was right? What the ****?

Number 1, he's a sperm donor.

Number 2, he isn't a "child", he's 18 years old. How can you pay child support for an adult?

Number 3, he's a sperm donor.

Does this mean that a sperm donor could take a child away from the parents?

that sounds fair, the guy was basically a dad to the child. so its like if the biological parents were separated, where as if the donation had been anonymous then it may be different

He's 18 years old. First, that isn't a child. That's an adult. I agree with jag. He ****ed up by signing "Dad" on the cards and what not.

jag

I think that the "Child" is trying to extort money from Doctor "Dad" for College.

Oh *****! I better start doing lots of overtime :D

wonder if the regular contact had stayed consistent if they would have still tried to get some child support. sucks he wasn't smart enough to get into college for free, because thats what this basically sounds like, but theres always more to the story.

The child support laws say that the support is for the childhood of the child and if the child has reached 18 and there is still an amount to be paid, the parent will pay it until the debt is paid off. My father did not pay child support until I was 17 and then he paid the money until it was all taken care of. After I was 18 however, the checks went directly to me so I could support myself, not my mother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"