Comics Spider-Man 3 - The Effect.

Mara Jane said:
MJ may do a lot of thinking considering that her father, the abusive schmuck, actually defends her when Pete hits her. That's quite a contrast. She may just want to reevaluate where their relationship is going because she left home to get out of an abusive situation, and now she doesn't want to end up in another.

what? when does pete hit her? this in the movie then? (i know he hit her once in the comic but i also know this isnt wat ur talkin about.)

MyPokerShirt said:
what? when does pete hit her? this in the movie then? (i know he hit her once in the comic but i also know this isnt wat ur talkin about.)

According to one of the Q&A script reviews, if you choose to believe it, Pete takes Gwen to MJ's play and they run into MJ, while her father is hitting her up for money. Gwen leaves, realizing Pete's using her to get back at MJ, and then MJ's dad confronts Peter. Pete apparently throttles (or attacks in some way) MJ's dad and ends up hitting MJ, too. (In the trailer, you'll see MJ on the ground looking up with a look of hurt. The ring is next to her on the ground.) At that point, he realizes the suit has changed him and leaves to go get it off.

MyPokerShirt said:
Because he was waaaaay over done in the 90s and then he HAS been back since as well, but thats y they gave venom a new bloomin host! mark millar knew wat i was talkin about :up:
I agree with you on the over done in the 90's part. If anyone was a victim of their own popularity, it was Venom. But if you ask me, Mark Millar was high off the wacky backy when he wrote MK:SM. Ripping apart 2 villains to make one lame one...hmmm...good idea, Mark! :confused::up:

In the right rands (Paul Jenkins, anyone?), Venom is still a major player in Spideys world. Just keep him away from Millar! :(

selling off the suit made sense tho, and nobody really made good use of scorpion til he was reinvented with a more deadly sting in spider-man unlimited. he almost killed ben reilly - it was wicked. anyway, dont worry, eddie's gona be back, Queseda has already confirmed he's alive somewhere and app he's in ASM 533

Mara Jane said:
It might be a "you really hurt me and I need time off" kind of thing. MJ may do a lot of thinking considering that her father, the abusive schmuck, actually defends her when Pete hits her. That's quite a contrast. She may just want to reevaluate where their relationship is going because she left home to get out of an abusive situation, and now she doesn't want to end up in another.
This is supposed to happen in the MOVIE?!! That's going too far! Don't they know kids will be watching?

But no matter what Peter does... shouldn't MJ know that it wasn't HIM. She totally KNOWS Peter and knows that behavior is out of character... and I have no doubt that by the end, they will realise what has been happening and he will have overcome this THING...

I know... it's that Alvin Sargent... can't have too many happy endings. His movies get described as "haunting, shattering, heartwrentching, psychologically oppressive, bitter-sweet, tragic and exuding an atmosphere of melancholia..." Lovely.

I love the depth the characters have had in these movies, but this sounds too dark.

Nice to have some thoughtful feedback on the subject. So unlike the movie forum...

yeah i didnt wana go by the movie forum. thort i'd get the views of proper spidey fans ;)

Oh! And another reason that MJ might want to leave: her guilt over sending Harry to his death to save Peter. She probably never thought that would happen, and may feel deeply conflicted and responsible. It may be hard for her to accept that being with Peter might lead to that...

Mara Jane said:
According to one of the Q&A script reviews, if you choose to believe it, Pete takes Gwen to MJ's play and they run into MJ, while her father is hitting her up for money. Gwen leaves, realizing Pete's using her to get back at MJ, and then MJ's dad confronts Peter. Pete apparently throttles (or attacks in some way) MJ's dad and ends up hitting MJ, too. (In the trailer, you'll see MJ on the ground looking up with a look of hurt. The ring is next to her on the ground.) At that point, he realizes the suit has changed him and leaves to go get it off.

Jeez, I forgot about that part. If that scene IS in the film, it could turn a lot of people off. After all, it almost sounds like it echoes
The moment Peter hit a pregnant MJ when she tired to stop Peter from wailing on Ben Reilly. Sounds like a similair thing happens here. I imagine Peter, fueled by the suit, starts wailing on MJ's papa, yelling at him for treating his daughter like dirt and then knocks down MJ when she tries to stop Peter.

Captivated said:
This is supposed to happen in the MOVIE?!! That's going too far! Don't they know kids will be watching?

But no matter what Peter does... shouldn't MJ know that it wasn't HIM. She totally KNOWS Peter and knows that behavior is out of character... and I have no doubt that by the end, they will realise what has been happening and he will have overcome this THING...

I know... it's that Alvin Sargent... can't have too many happy endings. His movies get described as "haunting, shattering, heartwrentching, psychologically oppressive, bitter-sweet, tragic and exuding an atmosphere of melancholia..." Lovely.

I love the depth the characters have had in these movies, but this sounds too dark.

Nice to have some thoughtful feedback on the subject. So unlike the movie forum...

No kidding. And you know darn well that when parents take their kids to see the movie and if this scene is in it, they'll justifiably say that it crosses the line, especially if it looks like
Peter instinctively backhands her when she tries to come near him

MyPokerShirt said:
^u americans complain about everything.

Hey, what can I say? Us Yanks have been complaining ever since the Stamp Act of 1765. Part of the national character of the US of A.

And on top of that, I'm also Irish, which makes me even more mercurial. Couple that with the internet and it's time to build a fallout shelter. :D

500 Sandman mini-series.
400 "Lost" Venom tales.
Several Gwen Stacy retrospectives.
Lithographs of the "O" page from ASM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe