World Spider-Man Live Action Television Series

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
Since Marvel has the tv rights to Spider-Man, why don't they try to make a Spider-Man live action series instead of an animated one? There hasn't been a live action series since the Nicholas Hammond version in the late 70s.

My only fear is that it would end up on the disney channel and be on par with High School Musical. However, if they decided to take it seriously, what could it be like? Although highly unlikely it will ever exist, I feel that a well made television series could truly flesh out Spider-Man's stories even more than the films would.

What would the premise of the tv series be, who would you cast, what network would it be on, and what villains would you like to see?

The problem with Spidey, is he requires billions of monies. That doesn't translate well to TV, and would result in bad production values, or poor writers.

There are several television shows that have a very large budget, or require lots of "monies." The pilot of LOST cost around $12 million, a show that was taking a huge risk. This was also back in 2004, and technology has improved a lot since then. I'm sure they could get a decent budget for Spider-Man. And it is possible to get good writers, that wouldn't be such a problem.

Most of each episode would be Peter Parker dealing with his personal life. If each episode is 40 minutes, maybe Spider-Man will only have around 10 minutes (give or take) of screen time for each episode.

By the time a TV series would happen, I assume that technology would have advanced enough to make it easier for Spider-Man to fit on television.

This is the only Spider-Man show I'll ever need -

[YT]JUcktiQxC9Q[/YT]

sounds like something from a mid 70's private detective program or a buddy-cops show...

sounds like something from a mid 70's private detective program or a buddy-cops show...
That series was basically a detective show. It was due to the budget and lack of special effects. I don't know why they couldn't afford villains like Kingpin, the Enforcers, Chamelion, the Tinkerer, etc.

I remember a couple of episodes with some actor named Thayer David playing a villain...

he would have looked remarkably like Doctor Octopus if you had put a pair of dark glasses on him...

They couldn't afford the tentacles for Doc Ock though.

they couldn't even afford a decent budget PERIOD for the show...

god, I'll never forget that sliding walk the stuntguy did as Spidey climbing the walls as well as that rope webbing... :whatever:

I remember watching the very first broadcast of the first ep and after 10 minutes, I knew that all Spidey fans were f**ked with this series...

they couldn't even afford a decent budget PERIOD for the show...

god, I'll never forget that sliding walk the stuntguy did as Spidey climbing the walls as well as that rope webbing... :whatever:

I remember watching the very first broadcast of the first ep and after 10 minutes, I knew that all Spidey fans were f**ked with this series...
I remember renting it on VHS from Hollywood Video Store, and just laughing at how bad it was. I still enjoyed it because it was Spider-Man though. My favorite episode is "The Deadly Dust," a 2-parter that kind of felt like a detective film. Really well done considering what it was.

So anyways, would Marvel be allowed to make a live-action tv series?

Yes. Marvel can do what it wants. Marvel don't care. Marvel don't need your approval.

Yes. Marvel can do what it wants. Marvel don't care. Marvel don't need your approval.
No... that is not true. Marvel couldn't just make a Spider-Man movie or else there would be a big lawsuit.

Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man. I know that Marvel has the animation rights to Spider-Man, so I'm asking if that means they have the Television rights to make a live-action series.

I'd love to see a live action show,but like some have already said,it would cost ALOT of money. I can't see that much money being put into the show. Imagine having to do special effects for not only Spidey,but also Venom,Doc Ock,Goblin,Sandman;etc,etc....
Plus,I get the feeling the show itself would have a Twilight or Smallville vibe to it. Eh,no thanks.

No... that is not true. Marvel couldn't just make a Spider-Man movie or else there would be a big lawsuit.

Sony has the film rights to Spider-Man. I know that Marvel has the animation rights to Spider-Man, so I'm asking if that means they have the Television rights to make a live-action series.

Sarcasm doesn't get very far here I see. I think Marvel could do a TV series, as it isn't a film. They could definitely do it in conjunction with Sony, but I am pretty sure Sony only has the film rights anymore. At least since Spectacular ended.

Since Marvel has the tv rights to Spider-Man, why don't they try to make a Spider-Man live action series instead of an animated one? There hasn't been a live action series since the Nicholas Hammond version in the late 70s.

My only fear is that it would end up on the disney channel and be on par with High School Musical. However, if they decided to take it seriously, what could it be like? Although highly unlikely it will ever exist, I feel that a well made television series could truly flesh out Spider-Man's stories even more than the films would.

What would the premise of the tv series be, who would you cast, what network would it be on, and what villains would you like to see?
Lol on that, the main problem there is that because their tv shows are aimed at kids the budget is very week, i remember an episode of the wizards of waverly place where their effect of water was a 2D white liquid. And they wouldn't put it on Disney.

Now that i think about it a Spidey tv show that was a musical like high school musical would very very funny :woot:

The drama of the comics is very similar to a soup opera and drama tv shows, the problem is really the budget.

They could use villains that aren't exactly movie worthy, such as the Enforcers, The Terrible Tinkerer, Rocket Racer, Hammerhead, etc.

I was also thinking about "Spider-Man: The New Animated Series" from 2003. The animation was fantastic, and I think it was as close as we would ever get to a live action television series. However, the writing was very poor, and the stories weren't very good.

This show was made 9 years ago, so technology has advanced greatly since then. They could make a television series with a similar type of animation and treat it as if it was live action. Try to make it last at least 4-5 seasons and really develop the characters in ways that the movies cannot.

They could use villains that aren't exactly movie worthy, such as the Enforcers, The Terrible Tinkerer, Rocket Racer, Hammerhead, etc.

I was also thinking about "Spider-Man: The New Animated Series" from 2003. The animation was fantastic, and I think it was as close as we would ever get to a live action television series. However, the writing was very poor, and the stories weren't very good.

This show was made 9 years ago, so technology has advanced greatly since then. They could make a television series with a similar type of animation and treat it as if it was live action. Try to make it last at least 4-5 seasons and really develop the characters in ways that the movies cannot.
Yeah, i know that could work, the lizard and sandman could possibly too to a smaller extent (in smallville there was a guy with the same powers as sandman) and Dock Ock could work like this:

[YT]kIP-_HvKC1U[/YT]

And if he didn't travel with his metalic arms, in fact most spidey villains work with some changes, the problem is that the only way Green Goblin would work would be if he was like in Ultimate where he's more like the hulk. But i doubt a spidey tv show will ever happen, they make too much out of the movies, they won't want to confuse people with a movie and a tv show at the same time and they won't stop making the movies, so i it's highly unlikelly this will ever happen.

However if the are able to bring The Incredible Hulk to tv and proceed with the sequel to the movie at the same time then there's a chance Spidey could get the same treatment.

Isn't Marvel making their own television series plus an Incredible Hulk show? I think a Spider-Man show is definitely possible. It could tie into the Avengers.

Heck, maybe they could make a backdoor pilot episode with the Incredible Hulk and feature Spider-Man. Imagine how cool it would be to get a cameo. That would be one way of putting Spidey in the MCU (or in this case the Marvel Television Universe).

"It's hard to say considering none of the test subjects survived."

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=391891

I actually started a thread on a similar topic yesterday. Picard, if you want, you could ask the mods if they could merge my thread with yours considering it's pretty much the same thing. Just in case you didn't want a competing thread that was created after yours.

Anyway, since I hope to become part of the film and TV industry (which will not be anytime soon considering I'm only 14 and I start my freshman year of high school in a week) I'd really like to get a Spider-Man live-action TV series off the ground.

My ideas were originally for a series of Spider-Man films, with the villain for the first film being the Scorpion, but after thinking about it, I felt that there were things I had in mind that in a theatrical format would feel like re-treading ground already covered (such as the origin and re-using past villains like Gobin and the Lizard) so I thought it would be much better as a TV series.

I wouldn't plan on making the disappearance of Peter's parents as much of a mystery, but Peter himself doesn't know much at first. I would also want to portray Norman Osborn and a great deal of Spidey's villains as sympathetic characters and not just stereotypical supervillain types who choose to cause terror and chaos just for the hell of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"