Spielberg May Direct Sorkin's Trial

Wow. A Spielberg-Sorkin film.

But what I want is Spielberg to make The Farnsworth Invention into a film, Azaria and Simpson attached. He's producing the show on the Great White Way right now anyway. And it looks amazing.

This could be utteerly fantastic. The sixties student culture is fascinating and something I think will go down as quite unique in history. I hope he discusses the SDS and the Weathermen that were spawned from these protests. Who will Smith play I wonder? Bobby Seale seems obvious, and he's a good choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Seven... more info for folks who are interested.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/37/30437.php

I would have loved to have seen this film made by Spielberg. :csad:

Yesterday I spoke with producer Walter F. Parkes about one of his earliest projects, WarGames, which hit DVD shelves in a 25th Annniversary Edition on July 29. Towards the end of the interview, I asked Parkes about the status of The Trial of the Chicago 7, which he is producing, and he confirmed that, as it stands now, Steven Spielberg will not direct the film.

Walter F. Parkes: We're working on Chicago 7. We have a wonderful script. We haven't quite settled on a director yet, and that's probably the next one down the pipe.

So, (Steven) Spielberg isn't going to be directing Chicago 7 then?

Walter F. Parkes: No, he is not going to do it. He kind of had a moment of availability to do it, and the strike got in the way. We were unable to do the script work that Steven felt he needed and then, by the time the strike was over, he had already committed himself to to begin production on Tintin, which he's shooting along with (producer) Peter Jackson, and I guess it's in October or November. So, it's not inconcievable that he would come back, but for now, he's had to move on to Tintin, which is something that he's been working on for 20 years.

We'll be sure to keep you posted on any and all of the latest developments surrounding The Trial of the Chicago 7 as soon as we have more information.

Just heard. I thought he was an amazing replacement. I can't think of another director. Maybe Doug Liman?

Ben Stiller in Talks to Direct Chicago
Source: The Hollywood Reporter October 23, 2008

The Hollywood Reporter says that Ben Stiller is in early talks to direct The Trial of the Chicago 7, the DreamWorks project about the 1968 riots at the Democratic convention and their aftermath.

A "Chicago" gig would mark a departure for Stiller, who has directed such successful comedies as Tropic Thunder and Zoolander, but has not helmed a serious political picture of this kind before.

Stiller follows several other notables who have been associated with directing the Amblin-MacDonald/Parkes project, including Paul Greengrass, who was a candidate during the summer, and even Steven Spielberg, who at one time was considering helming the picture.

Under terms of the DreamWorks/Paramount separation agreement, DreamWorks has taken over development of the project. The company wants to put the film into production quickly.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=49933

It's a bit of a shock, but I'm very excited to hear what Stiller has to say about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"