sports figures being arrested

ct joker

Civilian
Reaction score
really, how many of these idiots have to be arrested EVERY OFF SEASON. its funny they range from, hitting your mom with a baseball cap. to pulling a gun to threaten someone, to shooting ones self in the leg with a gun. to rape charges. to DWIs like its their god damn job. I find it quite hilarious that all these so called stars from various sports keep ending up in the news DAILY for being arrested. and yet nothing seems to happen to them. again this year the think that the NFL currently holds the record for most players arrested this off season so far. way to go guys!

Just because you can catch a Football or Baseball doesn't make you a great human being. In fact, there's numerous players in Hall of Fame's who were wife beaters, racists, drug addicts, the whole nine. And their idolized. So it's nothing new. Only difference now is that with 24 hour news cycles, these guys pry and delve into people's private lives way more than they did even just 10 years ago. Let alone 50.

Further to my point though, I'm a little tired of people acting like athletes are indebted in some way to society. They didn't decide that a professional athlete is entitled to millions, WE DID.

We did every time we bought merchandise, filled a stadium, watched an event on TV, we determined that sports figures should take precedent over elected officials, law enforcement & government bodies in terms of income. So let's not act like they owe us anything, they don't.

Many of these guys come from backgrounds of violence and ignorance. Should they act better? Of course. But they also shouldn't be a symbol of excellence to begin with. Too many fans put these guys on pedestals, equating sports heroics to real life courage and value. We watch to be entertained, not to learn life lessons, at least, we shouldn't be...

Last edited:
i am in no way saying these people should be held in a different light. what I am saying is it seems funny that when givin all these millions of dollars (most of it guaranteed) and fame its like these guys all of a sudden think well **** it I can do what I please. they can pull the "dont you know who i am" card. its just funny how much trouble these "public" figures get into and its like they just get a slap on the wrist. Penn State. right now they are thinking about even disbanding the football program there because of the unbelievable crimes that were committed there and covered up. Im not sure where Im going with all this, I just find it hiliarious how everytime i go to espn or a news site every day a new "pro" athlete is being arrested it seems to be an epidemic of sorts. i think they should get pay cuts for infractions like that. cuz really i wish i got paid millions of dollars to play a friggen game. what they do doesnt contribute to society at all really. yes its entertaining and it makes money for people. But its not like they are truck drivers delivering goods across the country to grocery stores or other everyday essentials.

i am in no way saying these people should be held in a different light. what I am saying is it seems funny that when givin all these millions of dollars (most of it guaranteed) and fame its like these guys all of a sudden think well **** it I can do what I please. they can pull the "dont you know who i am" card. its just funny how much trouble these "public" figures get into and its like they just get a slap on the wrist. Penn State. right now they are thinking about even disbanding the football program there because of the unbelievable crimes that were committed there and covered up. Im not sure where Im going with all this, I just find it hiliarious how everytime i go to espn or a news site every day a new "pro" athlete is being arrested it seems to be an epidemic of sorts. i think they should get pay cuts for infractions like that. cuz really i wish i got paid millions of dollars to play a friggen game. what they do doesnt contribute to society at all really. yes its entertaining and it makes money for people. But its not like they are truck drivers delivering goods across the country to grocery stores or other everyday essentials.

Absolutely agree there. My point is that I feel we, the fans, have helped create this environment in the first place. Because recently is when these astronomical contracts have become the norm. And its the sheer amount of revenue that makes it possible.

I don't think, personally, that being a professional athlete should entail them being locked inside their homes when not playing. I feel it's their right to go enjoy themselves, whether that be on the golf course or a strip club. It's America, even if it's in poor taste to do whatever it is they like to do.

At the same time I also think jealous people in the public help to escalate some of these situations more often than not, even if it's their own family. Dez Bryant's mother, for instance, is only 36 I believe, who has a criminal record worse than his. I'm sure she's no saint in this whole thing, so while it's easy on the outside to say what they should do, who knows how their personal life really is and who they're surrounded by. Lebron's mother, who's also young, got him into a few issues as well, it's just too many variables to lay it at their feet all the time.

Although I will say as a Black man myself, I would love for some of these guys to understand that a large segment of America only has associations with minorities through sports. So while Josh Hamilton can go through his trials and tribulations, it's not viewed as the same indictment on his whole race as it is when "Pacman" Jones decides to cause a ruckus.

Just because you can catch a Football or Baseball doesn't make you a great human being. In fact, there's numerous players in Hall of Fame's who were wife beaters, racists, drug addicts, the whole nine. And their idolized. So it's nothing new. Only difference now is that with 24 hour news cycles, these guys pry and delve into people's private lives way more than they did even just 10 years ago. Let alone 50.

Exactly right. Athletes are living under the constant microscope of social media and intensified coverage, from the time they gain recognition in high school right on thru retirement. Most of them are flawed individuals, but it's just easier to spot them nowadays.

Absolutely right! I agree with you that they also shouldn't be a symbol of excellence to begin with. Too many fans put these guys on pedestals, equating sports heroics to real life courage and value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"