Star Blazers

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Benderspink and producer Josh C. Kline are teaming to adapt the classic Japanese anime Star Blazers into a live-action feature, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Known for its epic imagery and themes of brave sacrifice and respect for heroes lost in the line of duty, Star Blazers is the U.S. name for 1970s Japanese anime TV series Space Battleship Yamato. It comprised three television series, five animated features and a host of merchandise. Star Blazers, distributed in the U.S. by Voyager Entertainment, aired stateside in the early 1980s.

The story is set in the 22nd century after an alien attack on Earth has forced survivors to live in underground cities. After a message arrives from a distant planet promising a cure for the proliferating surface radiation, Earth's last vestige of hope rests on the crew of a powerful yet untested spaceship, which must reach the purported new ally and return home before mankind ceases to exist.

Wow. And just 5 years later we may finally see the light of day for an english speaking version of my favorite anime space opera. Saw the original series in 1979 on WTBS Atlanta Superstation. It was all I need out of television.

I hope the US version gets the backing it deserves.

Well, there is a live action Japanese version coming out too.

David Ellison's Skydance Productions is negotiating a rights deal to turn the 1970s animated science fiction TV series Star Blazers into a large scale live action feature. Ellison will hire Christopher McQuarrie to write the script, with Ellison and Josh C. Kline producing with McQuarrie. The series was based on the Japanese anime series Space Battleship Yamato. Both are described as "space opera," involving alien invasions, the near extinction of the human race, and a last dash journey through space to save the planet.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/tru...rgets-star-blazers-for-christopher-mcquarrie/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"