Star Wars Crew; How do we know the rebels/resistance are the good guys??

The biggest thing to remember is that George Lucas based Palpatine's rise to power on that of Adolf Hitler and Julius Caesar's. Not exactly the nicest guys around.

I'm not an expert on the resistance but I am 100% positive it took a real turn when the Foot burned down April's apartment and Raphael nearly died.

I'm not an expert on the resistance but I am 100% positive it took a real turn when the Foot burned down April's apartment and Raphael nearly died.

tumblr_mx5rskah4G1qjpqono1_500.gif

A big part of Episode 9 is going to be Rey finding some abandoned subway car to live in.

And... Are all those things "celebrated" or thought of as terrible policy missteps by the U.S. as a nation? Are you expecting perfection from democracy and if it doesn't live up to it then that makes the actions of a non-democratic dictatorship like the Empire acceptable or somehow excuses the oppressive policies and tactics of such an entity? Again... Your argument sounds obtuse in the extreme.

Please give us a defense of the actions of the Empire, which we have yet to hear from you.

I can't give you a defense of the empire because i've only seen the story from one side but I'm sure there is justification or at least patriotism for it just like there is patriotism and justification for the US thru all of its crimes and deliberates (not mistakes) just as I'm sure there are germans who would justify nazi germany and japanese would defend the japanese empire when it was running roughshod over china and korea.

I guess that's what lucas was hinting at when he wrote in the PT crawl that there were heroes on both sides. And what DJ was talking about when he showed how the resistance was buying weapons from the same dealers the first order was.

The biggest thing to remember is that George Lucas based Palpatine's rise to power on that of Adolf Hitler and Julius Caesar's. Not exactly the nicest guys around.

Have you read up on andrew jackson? They called him the indian killer

I can't give you a defense of the empire because i've only seen the story from one side but I'm sure there is justification or at least patriotism for it just like there is patriotism and justification for the US thru all of its crimes and deliberates (not mistakes) just as I'm sure there are germans who would justify nazi germany and japanese would defend the japanese empire when it was running roughshod over china and korea.

I guess that's what lucas was hinting at when he wrote in the PT crawl that there were heroes on both sides. And what DJ was talking about when he showed how the resistance was buying weapons from the same dealers the first order was.

Uh... huh...

Anyway back to TMNT.

IEAsl3YVjbZx.gif

The animated movie from 2007(?) was actually pretty good.

why is this in community?

The Separatists did not become the Rebellion. Tattoine is in the outer rim of the Republic. Liberty dying was a reference to the usurpation of power from a duly elected democratic body body, the Senate, which represented the populace by the Emperor, which led to the eventual complete dissolution of democratic representation by the time of the battle of Yavin. Much as with the revaluation of the Confederacy I think context and content is important. For one the Confederates are on the wrong side of history because they supposedly fought for freedom... THE FREEDOM TO OWN OTHER HUMAN BEINGS. Period. So too with the Empire. They are a metaphor for any oppressive system of government that is impervious to the will of the people because the people have no actual input, read free elections, to voice their opinion.

The Republic is a stand in for any/all democratically minded republics. Such entities are messy, imperfect and unsatisfactory to all because they are based on compromise and the respect of majority rules while ensuring minority rights. Again, this is imperfect and leads to less optimal outcomes. And the idea was that the Republic had become sclerotic and yes, there were signs like being unable to enforce the rights of people like Anakin's mother in the Outer Territories, that pointed to problems in the system of the Galactic Republic. But that doesn't make what the Emperor did the proper solution nor does that absolve the Empire of responsibility of it's crimes in imposing a new order which did nothing to address the failures of the Republic. The "dream" the Rebels fought for was the restoration of a democracy within a republic.

More importantly though... Shouldn't this be something for the STAR WARS forums proper?

Laser stabbing is one of the worst kinds of stabbing.

Now I think you are definitely being willfully obtuse.

And again... Shouldn't this be in the SW section? Mods?

why is this in community?

giphy.gif

Exactly. :sly:

i think the better question is why does it exist

Have you read up on andrew jackson? They called him the indian killer

I don't believe there's any comparison between Jackson and Palpatine. The latter is outright presented as the Star Wars equvilant of the Anti-Christ, so it's hard to actually say this was a man with misunderstood intentions.

We've been cheering for these peope for like 40 years now and other than the fact that THEY say theyre the good guys, theres nothing we seen in the movies that actually proves any of it.

There's not a whole lot of details about the conflicts or organizations so it's easy to negatively interpret the good guys. The Republic/Separatists conflict it's almost openly presented as flawed vs. bad, if not bad vs. bad, despite good individuals being on both sides, while Tatooine seems pretty indifferent to all larger organizations.
The main reason to interpret the good guys as actually being good is that the bad guys *are* directly presented as being very ruthless.

So too with the Empire. They are a metaphor for any oppressive system of government that is impervious to the will of the people because the people have no actual input, read free elections, to voice their opinion.

The Rebellion started its armed fighting before the Senate was abolished; its Senators were presumably democratically elected, it and its members had decreased but presumably still significant governing power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"