Star Wars: Heroes Rising

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Twenty-Four[/FONT]​
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Darth Brutos...Luke...continued to smile at Tom and Jimmy. It was not a pleasant smile.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Luke?” Tom whispered. “But how...?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“How did I get here?” Luke finished. “Probably the same way you did: Kala Silphos' teleportation unit.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Then how come you weren't with us on Shavaar?” Jimmy asked. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My master used the Force to pull me to Korriban,” Luke explained. “There, he taught me the ways of the Force. The [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]true [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ways of the Force.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But you're a Sith...” Tom said.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“What's your point, Tom?” Luke snapped. “The Sith way [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]is [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]the true way, which is why I'm puzzled I wasn't able to kill you two. The dark side should have allowed me to, especially since the Force is strong here, as I'm sure you know.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Maybe you didn't want to kill us?” Tom said hopefully. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Luke laughed, and that was about as pleasant as his smile. “Please. Make no mistake, any bonds of friendship we once shared are long gone, Tom. That goes for you as well, Jimmy. On Korriban, in the lair of my master, I had my eyes opened, and I realized you were never really my friends. If you were, you would have come to save me when I cried out in the Force for you to help me.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom and Jimmy looked at each other, confused. “What do you mean, Luke?” Jimmy cautiously inquired. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Luke rolled his eyes. “Firstly, Luke is dead. After a month of being tortured in catacombs, a younger, ignorant me, aware somehow that you had also come to this galaxy, called out to you, begging for you to save me. But you never came. That is when Luke Allen died, and Darth Brutos was born.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“We never heard you-” Tom began.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Don't give me that!” Luke...Brutos...snapped. “You must have heard me, because Lord Drakos tortured me even worse for the month after that.” Brutos calmed himself. “But I am grateful that you didn't come. For if you had, I wouldn't have the power to change the galaxy to my liking.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You obviously don't,” Jimmy said coldly. “If you had that power, Tom and I couldn't have defeated you.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brutos folded his arms. “Yes...as I said, I do wonder why our duel went the way it did. But no matter. It is of no concern. What matters is the now.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“How Jedi-like of you,” Jimmy said, looking at Tom, who wore a blank expression on his face. Still, he could sense the sadness and pain in him, the kind that comes when you lose someone close to you.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Really?” Brutos said, spitting. “Maybe I should rethink that philosophy then.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Or you could come with us,” Tom said lowly. “Together, as friends, we could stop Drakos and save the galaxy. That is what you wanted, right? To save the galaxy?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The best way to do that is as Sith,” Brutos said. “But you are right about the first thing: Lord Drakos. Though I hate him, he possesses far more power than I. But perhaps us, together, could stop him. What do you say...old friends?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I thought you hated us?” Tom said harshly.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh I do, but I hate Darth Drakos more,” Brutos clarified. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom bowed his head in sadness. “You're not my friend anymore, are you?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So good of you to finally figure that out,” Brutos said, grinning. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom sighed and looked at Jimmy, who looked back at Tom sadly. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<You know what we have to do,> Jimmy said. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<I know, but I don't have to like it,> Tom replied. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<If you want, I'll deal the killing blow,> Jimmy offered. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<No,> Tom answered. <It's something I must do.>[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I can hear everything you're saying,” Brutos said loudly. “And I'm afraid it's futile. Because I am more powerful in the Force than either of you.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You sure about that?” Jimmy retorted.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yes,” Brutos said, and he raised his hands, lifting Tom and Jimmy up into the air with the Force, only to slam them into each other. They fell to the ground, rubbing their heads in pain. Before they could get up, Brutos struck them with Force lightning. Tom noticed this was much more intense than the attack on him before. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brutos stopped long enough for the two to begin to breathe easily again, only to launch it at them when they started to feel remotely comfortable. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As he writhed in pain, Jimmy sensed Justin approaching, and tried sending him a telepathic message to leave, but couldn't concentrate. In his mind, Jimmy saw Justin walk up the beach, rifle raised, and pointing it at Brutos. He fired...[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jimmy screamed even louder when he realized the vision was beginning to happen right now. And that's when Brutos stopped his attack.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh look,” he said. “Another of our old friends.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jimmy opened his eyes wide enough to see Justin, rifle raised, approach. Upon seeing Brutos standing over his two friends, he immediately began to fire. Swiftly, Brutos turned around and held out his hand, absorbing the blaster bolts. Now being able to see Brutos' face, Justin's eyes widened.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Holy...[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Luke?!” [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]he exclaimed. “Luke's Darth Brutos?! Who in their right mind would make Luke a Sith!?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brutos growled and Force choked Justin. Justin gasped for air as he was lifted above the ground, his rifle dropped as he held his throat. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You know, Justin?” Brutos said. “You always annoyed me the most.” He squeezed the air harder, and Justin's gasps became more pronounced.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]With a roar, Tom leaped at Brutos, lightsaber ignited and raised over his head, ready to strike. Without even looking at him, Brutos kicked Tom to the ground. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]His lightsaber rolled out of his hand as he landed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Can you give us a minute?” Brutos hissed. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jimmy tried to summon a Force Push, but Brutos stepped on his leg. “What did I just ask, Jimmy?” he stated.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Blackness began to form around Jimmy's vision, and he sensed that Tom was becoming weaker by the minute. Vaguely, he wondered where Colin was, and hoped he was smart enough to stay out of Brutos' path.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Suddenly, as he was about to black out, he sensed a familiar presence, and Kala leaped out of the temple and Force Pushed Brutos onto the beach, releasing Justin from his grip. She walked over to Jimmy and kissed his cheek. “Are you all right?” she asked.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Been better,” he said weakly. “Why'd you come?”
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I knew you'd need me,” she said, and began healing him. Within minutes, he was stronger, though not at his prime.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He gasped lightly as he stood. “Thanks,” he said, kissing her. “Now, get the other two.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Kala did, and when Tom and Justin were healed they went to the beach to find Brutos, but failed in that regard.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Where'd he go?” Justin asked. “I want another go at him.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“He's gone,” Tom said bitterly. “DAMN IT!”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The sand at their feet shook with Tom's rage. Everyone left him to it, as they knew it was better to not disturb him. The sand formed a mini-whirlwind that surrounded him, and everyone looked at him with sympathy, even Kala, who had been informed of what had happened by Jimmy telepathically.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]When Tom's sandstorm subsided, Justin said, “Okay, I hate to interrupt this, but I've got even worse news than our friend being a Sith Lord.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Which is?” Kala asked.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Captain Var and his Zero Squadron are coming down here to level the city so the Sith don't get the Force Nexus,” Justin explained feebly.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“...[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]what?”[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] Jimmy said, wincing. “When's the attack?”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“In...about ten minutes,” Justin said, preparing himself for the attack that was bound to come.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]But it didn't. “Come on, then,” Tom said, sounding defeated. “Let's go.”[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Twenty-Five[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So where's Colin?” Jimmy asked as the group ran for their starfighters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I sent him to evacuate the city,” Justin explained, jumping over a rock. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Smart move,” Jimmy said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom said nothing. He was still thinking about Luke/Darth Brutos. It had explained why the warped presence he'd felt was familiar: it was that of his best friend, but twisted by the dark side. Tom thought that maybe Luke could be redeemed, but saw the hatred in his eyes when he'd dueled. No, the next time he and Darth Brutos met, it would be to the death. Whether he liked it or not.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The whirring of starfighters came from overhead, releasing Tom from his thoughts. He looked up and used his sense to determine that the starfighters belonged to Zero Squadron. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Justin activated his comm. “Colin, did you get them out? You're in the desert? Great, we'll meet you there.” He turned off the comm and looked at the others. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Well, you heard that. Colin got them out safely, and we're outside of the blast zone. Mission accomplished.” He grinned.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom allowed himself a small smile, but stopped when he sensed Brutos' presence. He looked over at Jimmy, whose face told him he sensed the same thing. Kala could sense it as well, but she lacked the personal connection to Brutos that the other two Jedi had. Tom and Jimmy activated their lightsabers, in preparation for another Brutos attack, but none came.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<Where is he?> Jimmy asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<I dunno> Tom answered. Then he heard the whine of Zero Squadron again, but this time they were leaving the city. They hadn't even begun bombing it. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Justin saw this and keyed his comm. “Captain Var, why haven't you bombed Ariuk to hell?” he asked loudly.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom couldn't hear the Captain's response, but could sense what Justin was feeling: horror. Brutos' presence suddenly appeared again, and this time Tom looked up and saw a black version of his starfighter chasing a member of Zero Squadron. In the cockpit he sensed his old friend.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh no,” he whispered as Brutos destroyed all the starfighters in his way, dodging the torpedoes aimed at him and returning them in kind. Within moments, Zero Squadron was destroyed, and Brutos escaped into the atmosphere, victorious. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Oh great,” Jimmy said. “That was our one chance of destroying the temple. Now the Sith are going to come back and harness it. Mission failed.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jimmy's shoulders slumped, and Kala patted his back, an odd look in her eyes. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“There is another way.” [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Which is?” Justin asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“On each of our starfighters, there is a core. If this core is destroyed, the resulting explosion would be strong enough to destroy a city,” Kala explained. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Justin did the calculations in his head, and nodded. “Yeah, it should work. But [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]someone needs to stay behind and make sure the explosion goes off.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“That's true,” Kala said. “That's why I'm not going with you.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“WHAT!?” Jimmy screamed. “But in the explosion, you'll die too!”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yes,” Kala said sadly, and a tear dripped down her cheek, mirroring the tear running down Jimmy's. “But it's the only way. The way of the Jedi is sacrifice, and you have already sacrificed so much for the safety of the galaxy. Now it's my turn.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It doesn't have to be this way,” Jimmy sobbed. “I mean, we could detonate it remotely. You can stay with me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“You heard Justin,” Kala said, and Tom could sense that she was feeling great sadness at this too. But he could also sense her determination, her resolve. Jimmy could, too, and he knew he had no chance of persuading her. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I love you,” Jimmy said. Kala kissed him, and Tom and even Justin watched the lovers last kiss, which lasted too short, all parties involved felt. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I love you, too,” Kala said to Jimmy, wiping her eyes. “I'll always be with you.” And with that, in a burst of speed, she ran to her starfighter, which she had landed beside Jimmy's. It lifted into the sky, and with one final look at her love, she flew it into the city. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom, Jimmy, and Justin watched the city for a while, and then, all of a sudden, it was engulfed in a giant explosion.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]<Goodbye...> Jimmy heard in his head, until he could no longer feel Kala's life in the Force.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“NO!” he yelled, falling to his knees and weeping. In anger, he pounded on the sand, and did so until he had dug a hole with his own fists. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom and Justin looked down at Jimmy as the water from the ocean washed across their feet.[/FONT]​

Twenty Six
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]On the other side of Ariuk, Colin had started unloading the passengers off of the sandcrawler he'd “borrowed” from some Jawa's when he saw a starfighter much like Tom's and Jimmy's fly into the city. Minutes later, the city had exploded, and he hadn't seen the starfighter leave. His eyes widened, and he keyed his comm. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Justin, what happened to Zero Squadron bombing the city?” he asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Justin's voice came back over the comm, his voice sober. “We'll explain to you on [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Warhammer. [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Meet us on the beach when you're done.” Without a goodbye, he ended the transmission.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Colin looked at the flames that swallowed Ariuk, and wondered what had happened that made even Justin lose his arrogant edge.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * * [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Meanwhile, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Darkshot, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Darth Brutos' personal Sith Interceptor, came out of hyperspace above Korriban, home to his master and the Sith Army. As he began to descend on the planet, he thought involuntarily about Tom and Jimmy. For three years he had thought of them as the immature teenagers as they had once been, and that had made it all the more easier to hate them. But now they were, much like him, mature adults who believed wholeheartedly in the cause they were fighting for. Though Brutos disagreed with their ideals entirely, he could admire that quality in his enemies. Though he was still as arrogant as he was as a teenager, he was no longer the savage he once was. He had only acted like that on Ariu to throw his enemies off balance, which had only worked half as well as he'd liked. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brutos landed his ship outside the Valley of the Dark Lords, which was where Darth Drakos' castle was located. He exited his ship and paid no attention to the orderlies who tended to it now. He had to go see his master. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He entered a Force-enhanced run and, before he knew it, was kneeling before Darth Drakos, Lord of the Sith. He wore a black cloak that hid all of his features, save for the glowing red eyes natural in the Chiss species. Brutos felt those eyes drill into him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“My master,” Brutos said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Rise, Lord Brutos, and tell me of your failure on Ariu,” Drakos drawled. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The two Jedi in the employ of the Galactic Union were better than I had anticipated, my lord,” Brutos explained. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Surely they were no match for a Sith Lord?” Drakos asked. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Brutos tensed. “I was slightly better...”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“But unable to get a killing blow,” Drakos snapped. “Hmm. Perhaps it was a mistake to choose you as my apprentice, to teach you the Sith arts.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I assure you it was not,” Brutos said hastily. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Indeed? Then why is it that the Ariuk Temple of the Ancients is destroyed?”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]This caught Brutos off-guard. “But I killed all of the fighters who were to destroy it!”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“So you did,” Drakos muttered, his eyes still on Brutos. “Still, your Jedi friends managed to destroy, though it meant the loss of Kala Silphos.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“The Jedi Master is dead?” Brutos asked, surprised.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yes, through her own sacrifice,” Darth Drakos said. “Though the Jedi are master-less, I sense they will remain a threat.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I can handle them,” Brutos said, his arrogance glowing like a beacon.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I'm not so sure,” Drakos said, shooting Force lightning at Brutos. Once, he would have been flung across the dark tomb-like throne room, writhing in pain. Now, he was able to continue kneeling, motionless, as the lightning assaulted his body. The pain fueled his anger for his master, which he would one day use against him. But for now, all he could do was kneel and let the lightning flow through him. Because he saw that one day, it would be Brutos sitting on the throne, with Drakos kneeling before him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Until that day came, all he could do was wait.[/FONT]​

Twenty-Seven
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Aboard The Warhammer, in the meeting room, Tom and Justin finished telling Sev and Colin about what had happened on Ariu, starting from their landing and ending with Kala's sacrifice. Jimmy hadn't said a thing, but merely stared off into space the whole time. Tom could sense his sadness, which was as deep as a black hole. Possibly deeper.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Blinking back tears, Sev spoke, his voice carefully controlled. “I knew Kala better than any of you. Yes, even you, Jimmy, and I know that if she knew she were to die, that's how she would have wanted to go: saving others.” [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jimmy sniffled, and everyone looked at him. Once the main explosion had ended, Jimmy had run into the flames and emerged, holding Kala's body, which, surprisingly, was only slightly burned. Jimmy had healed those burns, so that when they gave her her funeral, she would look as beautiful as she had in life. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Fill me in on the Darth Brutos scenario. He's really Luke?” Colin said, still not entirely believing. The Luke he knew, while irritating at times, was never evil. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Yeah, he's Luke,” Tom said. “I want to know what exactly caused him to fall, though. Maybe then I could figure out a way to save him.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I thought you'd decided to kill him?” Justin reminded him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“It probably will come down to that,” Tom said with remorse. “But there's always going to be that hope that he can be saved.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“If you don't kill him, I will,” Jimmy growled. Everyone looked at him again, surprised he was speaking. “It's his fault Kala's dead. If he hadn't destroyed Zero Squadron, she would be here with us. With[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] me[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif].[/FONT]” [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Everyone was silent, as they had no idea what to say to Jimmy's statement. Tom could sense the anger boiling within him, and, despite his Jedi training, he couldn't really blame him. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“General Meston,” a voice came over the ship's comm. “We're landing on Shavaar.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Thank you,” Sev said quietly, the quiver of his lip being the only thing that gave away the sadness he must have felt. Jimmy had lost a lover; Sev had lost a sister.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As he got up to leave the ship, he turned to face Katana Team one last time. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“Kala's funeral is tonight. She asked that if she were ever to die, it be a Jedi funeral, so it will begin when the sun is completely set. I'll alert you ahead of time to tell you when to prepare yourselves.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Everyone, save Jimmy, muttered an acknowledgment. Sev saw that Jimmy was still torn up inside, so he said, “Jimmy...I'm sorry.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * * [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]For the afternoon that led up to the funeral, Katana Team spent it alone. Justin took apart and reassembled his guns, making sure they were in working order. Colin used his free time to go into the Galactic Union mainframe and reinforce it against enemy hacks, as well as get information on the galaxy around them. Tom worked out in the gym against combat droids set to kill, in order to keep his skills sharp and get his mind off of Darth Brutos. Jimmy merely sat in his bunk, meditating, attempting to focus on the activities of his friends and not on his own grief. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]He failed, and once more broke down crying, surprised that he had so many tears in his body.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]* * * [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The air was calm that night, and the stars twinkled happily, a stark contrast to the mood of the Union base. All soldiers, orderlies, and even civilians had come to pay respect to the heroic Jedi Master, whose body lay on an ornate stone slab, looking only peacefully asleep. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tom, Justin, and Colin stood together, Tom wearing black dress robes, and Colin and Justin wearing their dress uniforms. They stood at the forefront of the crowd, along with Sev, who looked solemn. Jimmy, however, was nowhere to be found. Tom had tried sensing him, but his friend seemed to have become invisible and hid himself from the Force. Tom could understand why.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sev walked forward, cleared his throat, and began Kala's eulogy in a loud, strong, booming voice.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]“I am not a Jedi. I do not think I will ever be able to understand one, and I know I can never be one. But I was proud...no, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]honored, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]to have one as my best friend. My sister, even. They say this funeral pyre is symbolic for a Jedi, meaning that it shows the Jedi letting go of their old life and entering their new one. Having known a Jedi, I believe that to be true. Kala Silphos was a great Jedi, a great teacher, a great warrior, but what she was greatest at was being a friend. It is for this above all that tonight, we honor her.”[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Sev lit the fire, and the three watched as flames consumed Kala's body, it's crackling more like a roar. The smoke that rose made odd shapes, and the smell of the flames oddly cleared Tom's mind. As if on cue, all three members of Katana Team bowed their heads in silent remembrance of the one who had brought them closer together than they had been on Earth. She deserved that much, at least. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]As Tom remembered, he finally sensed Jimmy. Sharply, he looked up and saw him kneeling atop the Galactic Union Base on one knee, watching the flames dance. His face was blank again, as if made of stone, but his grief was at its greatest. Tom sent his friend the telepathic equivalent of a pat on the back, but he didn't acknowledge it. He just stared at the flames, hypnotized, until finally he stood and, with a swoosh of his cloak, walked away from the fire.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, sans-serif]Epilogue[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The next say, [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Warhammer [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]left Shavaar and, upon leaving the atmosphere, went into hyperspace. Jimmy stood in Kala's chambers, gathering her things. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]These were few, but he really wanted an excuse to be in her presence, even if that presence was from the past. Pitiful, he knew, but love was like that. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]In his cleaning, he came across a holo-picture of her, smiling. His grief had been spent over the past day, but enormous sadness welled up within him once again. If you had told him three years ago that he'd be like this over a woman, he would have brushed that comment aside. But not now. His arm shook, and he dropped the picture.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Behind him, he heard the whirring of wheels, and he turned to see Tom's astromech, R6-D4, along with Tom, Justin, and Colin. Without saying a word, Tom lifted the picture and handed it back to him. Jimmy didn't smile, but he nodded at Tom.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]R6 moaned a low beep, which Jimmy meant to take as sympathy. He patted the droid on his head. Colin and Justin nodded at him. He nodded back. Placing Kala's picture away, he was, in essence, acknowledging her death. Not wanting his friends to see him break down, her turned away to face the large window, staring at the lines of hyperspace. Wordlessly, Tom walked to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. Justin and Colin followed suit, and even R6 rolled into his leg affectionately. Despite himself, Jimmy finally allowed himself a smile as he and his friends exited hyperspace, where they saw a supernova in front of them. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The four friends watched as Union Starfighters exited the ship and flew down onto the planet below, and they didn't move. They knew that the war wasn't a game, not anymore, and they were ready to fight.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]They were ready to win.[/FONT] [/FONT]​

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"