Suicide Squad: Review/Discussion (NO SPOILERS)

Well Guys I saw it Saturday Night and I Love Love LOVE THIS MOVIE! I Give this movie 10/10 David Ayer exceeded my expectations and I am really Proud of him bringing our Squad to life. Now I didn't have a problem at all with pacing nor story, they both are what I expected and wanted from a suicide squad movie. The Fast Pace editing and Simple Adventure Story is freakin right out of the Suicide Squad Comic book and That Was Brilliant David!!! It all fit the style of The style and Insanity of the Comic and this DC Diehard Fanboy Got It and I'm sad no one else did. For the people complaining about story what did you expect? Suicide squad was never suppose to have some grand story like Batman or Superman or Wonder Woman. No it was always a side team adventure and that's what I got. As for The Villain...I thought She Was Really Cool and I think she proved a worthy threat for the squad alongside doomsday and Zod. She did some major damages and that final fight was awesome in 3D!! The Characters and Actors all did phenomenal. And last but not least The Music was Sooooo Gooood!!! Kept humming it in my head on the way home. I even picked up the Soundtrack lol

Please go give this movie a chance I thoroughly enjoyed immensely and I only hope for the same experience for you. THANK YOU DAVID AYER

Last edited:
I saw the film yesterday, first act was really good, I kept saying "this time critics were too harsh", but the moment the villain launched his mission, the movie started to be a pure *****, most boring 2nd and 3rd acts ever, I even was bored during the last fight.
I did like the characters and the lines between them, at least they had chemistry unlike BvS. I liked the squad, really.
but other than that, nothing.
The action didn't have anything interesting, no creative shots or stuff. Nothing memorable.

as I said, the only thing I memorise from this movie were the characters and their lines.

Villains are 0.
Also, the motivations to form the squad wasn't well established. It was just like, we need to make a film about the Suicide Squad.

5.5/10 for the good moments and the chemistry between the team members.

Last edited:
I don't know or care about any tomatoes, all I know is I love this movie! I've seen it 3 times and intend to go back more! All the characters were great and the villain worked just fine. Standouts were Harley, Deadshot, Joker, Waller, and Boomerang. The most fun I've had at the movies this year!

It wasn't great. I think the main problem is this wasn't really the right approach for a Suicide Squad movie whatsoever. They needed a smaller group of characters and a grounded threat. Enchantress was ridiculous, but perhaps could have worked a little better if she was in a movie that was more supernatural by nature. The whole thing feels confused, like two or three different movie ideas rolled into one. It needed some serious reworking. Pacing was dreadful, and I hated the fact the first half was essentially a series of music videos.

Character-wise, I think I'll end up echoing similar sentiments to others - Smith was good as Deadshot, I liked Margot as Harley Quinn, Davis was a good Waller, and I quite liked Jai as Boomerang. Flagg was okay. The others were totally forgettable and underdeveloped, and some were even completely unnecessary - looking at you Katana and Eastwood and everyone else on Flagg's squad. Leto was... Bad. I did like one or two of his scenes but the others were really poor. I'm not even sure the performance was at all consistent. The design is still horrible, and the approach they took with Harley seemed out of character for him. I think with better material and a different approach Leto could have been great. But they really botched him up, unfortunately. Enchantress I touched on above, but performance wise, not great. Might have made for a good Star Lord villain, though. :oldrazz:

Overall this is just real wasted potential. Needed to be smaller and more grounded, fewer characters, no world-ending plot, and a totally different approach in general. It's a shame, because there are some good characters in here. Wasn't a fan.

All I want is a good Batman universe, Warners. Stop screwing it up! :argh:

I think a problem is that the group comes together very quickly and just dives right into the plot. If you watch the animated movie 'Assault on Arkham' we get the character moments of the group coming together and witness what they're in for and who they're with. Here they're just thrown together and there's no time to feel their point of view and makes each character more distinct. Or show their inner lives in a more organic way.

David Ayer seems too dazzled by which 'cool' characters he can use from the comics and a cool scenario to put them in- kind of like the marines in the "Aliens" movie. But that movie had a natural build up and development. It's just hammered home in this movie in a kind of obligatory way in the intros. The characters feel like cardboard cutouts. You have to build them from the ground up.

Also in the animated movie Waller brings them together for a very specific mission. Here she wants to build a team and while she is doing it the threat arises from within the team.

Maybe these expectations did detract and the movie should be seen on its own-simpler- terms but, still, the build up in this feels off. That being said, there can be entertainment had from this as it ultimately just becomes a simple action movie.

I agree that the magic element does make something hyped as tough, gritty and hardcore feel too light. This is the type of movie that could benefit from having less "frills" and focus on tough combat and action.

Last edited:
Well it wasnt quite as I hoped or expected from the first trailers but there was some good things at least in this but as several have pointed out it was all in too much of a rush to get to the "cool" moments to actually build up any sort of narrative or character development which is a shame as some of the characters were actually quite good and most of the cast really put a lot of gusto and effort into their roles, especially the stand outs in Smith and Robbie who really owned Harely Quinn. Even though this version of the Joker is not really my thing I cant say Jarred Leto didnt put effort into making this version unique and his own thing its just a shame they were let down by such a weak story that clearly had some choppy editing as well.

Maybe a better version of this movie exists but towards the start there was some really poor transitions and massive time jumps in the matter of seconds that made it feel like the director was rushing to show his squad in slow mo action scenes rather than give us a good reason for them. I mean was it even explained why Katana turned up and joined them? She just appeared on the heli without explanation or reason, no excuse can be made for that really.

Overall it was frustrating because they did some really good work with the casting and some of the ideas they had but just couldnt wrap it around a decent story with a less CGI minded villain that got no development again and stood out as way out of place compared to most of the rest of the film.

There was at least some funny and entertaining moments to be had and I think its at least a bit better than BvS but it does feel like a case of what might have been and the DC universe still cant quite knock one out the park yet, maybe JL will up the ante.

7.1/10

7.5 enjoyed the movie more than I thought and does not deserve that RT score . Would definitely watch again.

Got to see "Suicide Squad" recently. I wasn't expecting to like it much for a while now, expecting a simple, action-packed story, a dumb fun if you will... but even after lowering my expectations to a kind of film I am generally not a fan of, I guess it was fun, but I wasn't prepared for this dumb.

Where to start... first to get the obvious parts out of the way - plot is weak, villain is crap, Cara Delevigne can't act. I heard about all of this moths ago, so it is not something that bothered me all that much (again, I was expecting a simple action-packed story).

Now, to get to the things that killed this film to me:

First of all, my fear that this film will be too tame came true. This is the one film that should have been dark and gritty, but I didn't feel like I was watching bunch of hardened criminals at all, much less "worst of the worst". Matter of fact they screwed up these characters quite a bit. I have nothing against going for a more humane angle, but not just that film beats you over the head with those "emotional" moments that for most part fell flat, but, again, these so-called hardened criminals act nothing like it. I could get behind them wanting to make Deadshot more of an anti-hero, I wouldn't be crazy about it, but I'd be willing to accept it, but why the hell [BLACKOUT]Boomerang returns for final fight?[/BLACKOUT] Or Diablo calls the rest of the squad family? Or they all act like best friends after spending fifteen minutes in the city together? I didn't care to count how many times they mentioned being bad guys or got all friendly with each other, but it was way too many. They should have handled sickness bags under the seats like they do aboard airplanes (luckily, annoying kid in front of me was wearing a hoodie, so I improvised :oldrazz:).

The music (or rather songs) used in the first half of the film was for most part annoyingly jarring, nowhere more than in what's definitely a worst scene in the film for me... more about that later.
AC/DC's "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" when Boomerang was robbing the bank, amused me though. Probably because they used an Aussie band for an Aussie character and because of the fact that I used to play it years ago. Objectively, it was "fitting" in the same unsubtle way as the rest of the songs, so I guess it just got me on that level.

Now the Joker... I'm not a fan of what I saw in this film and it feels as if Leto was overacting occasionally. I didn't expect him to impress me that much in a "Suicide Squad" film though, and I need to stress out that they obviously cut much of his scenes.
Still, there were moments where they could have made the character shine. I remember that while watching pretty much every scene with him, I kept imagining how they should have done the scene instead. He was obviously tossed there because of Harley, so the character was greatly limited to that.
Which leads me to much bigger problem - the Joker/Harley relationship that was handled so f*****g terribly. They obviously didn't have the balls to depict the true, abusive nature of their relationship, something that a goddamn cartoon for children didn't have a problem doing. Knowing that they filmed the scene where Joker slaps Harley, it would seem that the abusive nature was indeed meant to be shown, but they forced the cut that makes Joker appear genuinely in love with Harley. Some things in this film disappointed me and some simply underwhelmed me, but this one genuinely pisses me off.

And now I come to the scene I hate with passion - the cringe-worthy scene of Harley jumping into the pool of chemicals with that terrible song that made it appear as something that is taken from a Tumblr fanfiction playing over it. What is most frustrating is the fact that it could have been one of the more visually enticing and impactful scenes in this film, instead it felt like watching one of those horrible shipping videos from YouTube. Matter of fact, I reckon there will be plenty of those after this film. :wall:

Anyway, to return to Leto's Joker himself - I'll withhold my judgment until I see him properly against Batman. I didn't like neither the gangster contextualization, ****ed up characterization of a love-struck psycho, nor the way Leto acted in some scenes, but I think there is still potential there. As I said, Joker was limited (and not just limited, but utterly screwed up) by being tied to Harley's story in this film, so I'm still not writing the character off, but it will take quite a bit to get me to like him in future films.

What is definitely the best thing in this film are performances. Again, I can't judge Leto's Joker properly yet, but aside from Kinnaman, who was boring as hell, rest of the cast was pretty good with Davis and Robbie standing out as best. And, surprisingly, I wasn't bothered all that much by Will Smith playing himself once again. He was amusing.

That much for the positives :-)p). Finally, editing in this film is terrible (again!). Characters are basically introduced three times and we are quite often either being told what should have been shown instead or what was already shown to us not long ago, making telling it again absolutely pointless.

I guess I might be off the mark with this, but I find it difficult to believe that both Snyder and Ayer forgot how to make films all of a sudden. I believe that someone at WB is forcing those cuts and that someone ought to be hanged by the balls and used as a piñata.
I'm not giving Ayer a pass, he screwed up enough without the cut that, more likely than not, WB forced, but that was the finishing move that killed this film to me. Studio needs to stop meddling with post-production of these films ASAP. I liked BvS despite lousy editing, but UC just shows how much it damaged the film... how many more DCEU films will they damage before they stop doing this? I am genuinely worried about "Wonder Woman" now.

To conclude my impressions of SS - it is a first DCEU film I really didn't like. Even after accepting the fact that the plot is almost non-existent and that villain sucks, the fact that it is way too tame and generic rubs me off the wrong way. The fact that they chickened out and completely bastardized the relationship between Joker and Harley, pissed me off greatly. This is not at all the film I was expecting Ayer to make.

Last edited:
seen it twice already, i really enjoyed it
standouts were harley joker, deadshot, waller, boomerang and diablo
could tell the actors had alot of fun with the movie

would've liked a bit more joker but as is i felt it left a good enough first impression of the new version and leaves u wanting more of him which i assume will come in time

8/10

This movie as bad as Batman v Superman. Reason Amanda Waller make Suicide squad was stupid and make no sense. She say they need to be able to fight next Superman but most of team are just normal people lol. El Diablo just shoot fire and Superman immune to that. Only witch was useful and she turned on them lol. Jared Leto Joker was worst. He not funny or scary and all he do is lust for Harley. That not the Joker. They ruin him. Action scenes very boring. Music got annoying. I hate song they play when Harley and Joker jump in chemicals. Enchantress weak villain.

3/10 for this movie.

Could have been better but I did enjoy it even with all its flaws.

For people who hated it and are DC fans, fear not.

Geoff Johns did not join DC Movieverse until after this movie.

So from WW and up.....it will only get better.

Posted this in general discussion, but figured I'd post it here since this is the review thread and my post is technically a review.

Got out of my showing a few hours ago and gotta say...I genuinely really, really enjoyed this movie. Had tons of fun with it, as did the fam. Most of the cast killed it, especially Margot Robbie and Will Smith. Batman scenes were sweet. The editing was weird and disjointed in some parts, but I actually dug the way they introed all the characters through flashbacks and gaiety, colorful descriptions and whatnot. It was different in a good way. Soundtrack was okay, didn't mind the music like some others did. I actually quite liked it, especially during the scene where they're all gearing up, I thought it fit perfectly there. The interactions between the Squad was awesome to see as well. Loved Harley Quinn, although Deadshot was my fave. That whole relationship he had with his daughter was cute and believable. El Diablo was the heart of the movie imo, I honestly felt for him and bought his tragic backstory. Killer Croc, while barely in this, was a joy in his little humorous moments. [blackout]"I'm beautiful"[/blackout]. Lol :lmao:. Jared Leto's Joker was.....meh. I still don't know if I outright hate his interpretation or just don't really care for it. I guess the latter. Things I didn't like aside from that was the terrible, lame ass villain and I felt the movie could've been paced better. It was either moving too fast or too slow the whole way through. Also, the third act was a bit of mess. Oh, and Amanda Waller = absolute badass.

All that said, this movie was fun, it was funny, it was weird, and it's characters and their interactions are the MVPs that manage to keep it afloat. For the most part.

But I would definitely recommend to go see it for yourself.

SCORE: 6.75/10

After thinking it through some more, the film doesn't quite deserve a 7 or 7.25 imo. It kind of falls apart in the 3rd act and a lot of random **** happens and then the movie just sorta...ends. 6.75/10 should be my final score. Still had lots and lots of fun with this film though.

Last edited:
Not a fan of this.

It's not terrible, offensively bad, it's just kinda there. It's worst sin is all the wasted potential

Pros:

-The acting was good-fine for the most part

Cons:
-Villain was terrible. From motivation to acting. I heard in a review that the villain looked like she was popping and locking at some point and I thought the reviewer was just exaggerating. But really at one point she looked like she was and it was ridiculous
-The action was generic. Fighting an army of faceless mooks among a city with a blue light in the center. And while Avengers (I know people are gonna be pissy I brought up Marvel) did the same thing, but at least Avengers had people with different abilities. Hawkeye had arrows, Thor had lightning, Cap had his shield, Hulk smashed, Iron Man had his repulsors and missiles, Widow had her gun. In Suicide Squad everyone just shot bullets, punched/hit, or slashed. And on top of that, none of the action scenes were shot in any sort of interesting way
-Joker was really crowbarred into this. Like it was just stupid. ANd his performance was...eh. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't creepy, menacing, frightening, or even that interesting. It just came across like he was trying too hard. Going the gangsta route with Joker is interesting but I feel like they just didn't handle it well in the short time he was given. His relationship with Harley wasn't even that interesting
-The movie took way too long to get going. Was really bored until the helicopter ride
-In the beginning, a lot of the music was obnoxious
-I'm gonna be that guy...the plot of this movie is really really stupid. I get that it's one of those things where they basically just needed something to happen, and I knew this going in. But at the end all my friends and I were saying the same, it just didnt make sense for her to put these team together. Why get some of these people who are huge liabilities when really all she needed was Deadshot and maybe Croc and El Diablo.
-Some of the character work was bad:
1. They did a lot of telling and not showing with Flag. They shouldve made him more badass His whole romance story was pretty lame. I can't imagine Tom Hardy being in the role.
2. Croc, Katana, and Boomerang didn't have crap to do. It was laughable. Boomerang was at least kinda funny
3. The whole thing with Slipknot...just wow
4. Just in general it wouldve been so much more interesting if the characters were shown being evil instead of just being told how evil they are. I wish instead of making them sympathetic or affable they made at least a couple of them downright evil

At the end of the day, this wasn't good but it wasn't terrible. Very forgettable. I don't think I'd watch it again. There isn't even a scene that I will rewatch on YouTube when it comes out in good quality

5/10 if I'm being generous

Last edited:
So has DC & WB finally hit a home run when it comes to making a comic book based film? Well they make it to third base.
Im not sure what critics were looking for when they blasted this movie.For the most part i found the film to be fun,humorous
and so many things really worked.
Viola Davis was great as the unflinching no nonsense Amanda Waller.Will Smith gave a great and charismatic performance as Deadshot.
Margot Robbie did an amazing job as Harley Quinn.She and Smith definitley carry over the chemistry they had in the movie Focus.
Jay Hernandez turned in a moving performance as El Diablo.Jai Courtney did well as Captain Bommerang,he usually ends up portraying meathead drones.The character of Dr. June Moone/Enchantress (Cara Delevigne) was interesting at the beginning of the film
Any scene that Batman was in was great.
I cant really judge Jared Leto's performance as The Joker because he was in and out of the film and it wasnt a full performance,he did have great chemistry with Robbie though.
People were complaining about the various songs that kept popping up in the movie,saying it was annoying,but the only thing i found annoying were the people in the theatre trying to sing along with the songs!!

What didnt work for me some characters were definitely side lined.One of the romances was definitely forced.Sometimes the movie was over stylish.Last but not least the villain and the climax.The villain was so odd sounding and visually laughable it took me out of the film.In the latest
comic book and sci fi films the endings have been so similair .I mean can someone come up with an original idea on how to close these films?

SS is not a disaster by any means ,it has it's flaws.I liked the cast and i hope another SS film hits the big screen

Scale of 1-10 a 7½

It was a fun movie, my rating would be 6/10. Will Smith, Viola Davis, Margot Robbie, Jarad Leto did very well. Jay Hernandez and Jai Courtney were OK.

The rest gave forgettable performances. The plot is very thin, I didn't mind the music (and songs) or the editing or the flash-backs.

But, I feel that a better story would have resulted in better reviews, that is, the story (or lack thereof) itself is to be blamed to low RT scores.

Overall, worth watching only because it brings to life several iconic DC characters like Deadshot, Boomerang, Katanna, Harley Quinn, Joker and Amanda Waller and ties them to evolving DCEU.

I went into this movie with an open mind and not spoiling myself and I really enjoyed it. After seeing sh**ty DC movies like The Green Lantern, Man Of Steel, and Yawn Of Justice, I didn't have high expectations and boy, was I surprised! O_O

PROS said:
- The special effects for the opening and closing credits were sick!

- Like Guardians Of The Galaxy, the soundtrack was great!

- I thought Viola Davis was going to have a forgettable role. She was ruthless as Amanda Waller!

- Ben Affleck delivers as Batman again.

- People are going to give Jared Leto a hard time for being a "bad Joker cosplayer", but he was funny and creepy! I felt he did a great job to follow Heath Ledger, who would've more than likely praised him for his performance if he was still alive. The best part was him shooting the machine gun. If that isn't The Clown Prince, I don't know who is! I'm also thankful about his origin.

- Margot Robbie was born to play Harley Quinn. She nailed the role 100% and stole the movie. And yes, purist fans, they didn't forget. :cwink:

- Will Smith did a good job as Deadshot even if he was basically playing Hancock again.

- I'm a fan of team movies so its great everybody got to play their part and work as a unit even if the other characters played second fiddle.

- :eek: at the mid-credits scene!

- I hope they make a sequel. I'm more interested in Suicide Squad 2 than Justice League.

CONS said:
- They could've saved a lot of money on the budget by not making the all powerful entity with the doomsday device stuff over the top. The plot's been done to death.

- Like The Dark Knight, you're left craving for more Joker.

- They didn't borrow anything from Assault on Arkham.

- Josh Duhamel should've been Rick Flag.

- Katana was just kind of thrown in there.

- I felt like Jim Parrack had more to offer.

- No post-credits scene.

I would definitely put Suicide Squad in the same category as The Dark Knight and Watchmen of great quality films from DC.

6/10
Definitely an entertaining flick through and through and I enjoyed it way more than BvS and MoS. Will Smith and Margot Robbie shined the most while I was un impressed by Leto's new Joker. I'm still waiting for a definitive DC film I can love completely and I'm hoping it's their next flick in WW. That looks like it's the closest to what I want for DC.

I would definitely put Suicide Squad in the same category as The Dark Knight
giphy.gif

Got to see "Suicide Squad" recently. I wasn't expecting to like it much for a while now, expecting a simple, action-packed story, a dumb fun if you will... but even after lowering my expectations to a kind of film I am generally not a fan of, I guess it was fun, but I wasn't prepared for this dumb.

Pretty much this. I expected a sort of simple story line but didn't expect it to be handled in a very undemanding and forgettable way. I think it would have fared better with a plot similar to the one of Assault on Arkham.

I saw it tonight, and I enjoyed it a lot, I don't know what is with the critics this year, but this was another one they were way too harsh on for me.

I loved the characters, Waller, Deadshot and Harley Quinn were the stand outs and I loved the actors in those roles, they were the highlight. But I also enjoyed Croc, Boomerang and Katanna. I wish they got more to do, but what we did get I liked. The characters and team made the movie really. And Diablo had more emotion to his arc than I was expecting.

I liked some of the action, and I initially I thought people were far too harsh on Cara/Enchantress as I enjoyed her early scenes, but yeah it was all down hill from there and I can see why the character gets so much criticism.

Saying that I enjoyed the finale and how the team came together. My main criticisms were the over use of songs at points and the deleted scenes. I liked Leto as the Joker but his motivations were not very Joker like and he barely got enough time to make an impression. I also would have liked a quick scene showing why a certain character came back at the end and why another suddenly called the team his family. I think 10-15 more mins would have made the movie flow much better. And yeah, the editing at times made the movie a mess, but it was fun mess to watch. 7/10.

I loved this movie. Easy 9/10 for me. I seriously don't see why this is getting so much hate. Just a fun action-packed movie and it really makes me want to see a solo Batman movie which I wasn't really interested in before.

I gotta say, I enjoyed the film. Maybe Margo Robbie's smile and charm has the better of me:ilv:, but I thought it was solid even with its flaws. While the villain was quite lame and the climax was very Ghostbusters slash Master's of the Universe, I had a good time and I did like most of the characters. It was certainly more coherent and in alot of ways had more heart than BvS.

Its not perfect by any stretch but I do think its the best of the three DCCU films we've seen so far. I'd give it a B. There's no need to rush to the theater, but if you're a big DC comics fan , its worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"