Superhero Movie Fatigue Discussion - Are Audiences Getting Tired Of CBMS?

Anyone that thinks Captain Marvel and Ant-man are Z listers knows absolutely nothing about the genre.

Even if they were Z listers, film characters like Star Wars or Indiana Jones were no listers. They didn't even exist before the first script was written. Indiana Jones was even Indiana Smith at one point and Luke Skywalker was Luke Starkiller. So even a Z lister could take off for general audiences. Someone doesn't have to be known at all. Conversely, Hulk was an A lister. It's not like his movies have ever done so well. I don't think how well a character does depends on where they might be on a list.

Funny you mention Indy, since his movie flopped too.

We talk a lot about superhero fatigue here (and it makes sense, given that this is a superhero-themed message board), but are there other genres or franchises that you are personally tired of (or think other people are tired of)? I ask because I think some of the fatigue might be more to do with overusage of old, stale IP.

They just tried to restart the Hunger Games series, and it’s done okay, but I don’t think there were that many people clamoring for more of that universe (especially given how the previous series ended with such a thud). Now we have another Wonka movie, and I have to say I’m personally have Willy Wonka fatigue. Now, I know this is only the third Wonka movie (I think) but honestly, one was enough. Johnny Depp’s version was a crappy abomination and this one… I don’t know, am I the only one who is getting sick of seen Chalamet every five minutes? I have nothing against the guy and think he’s a decent actor but I feel like I see him everywhere now and I could do with less of that. But more importantly, I’ve never found the Wonka stories to be all that captivating. They’re fun and whimsical but did we really need more? It’s still too early to say whether it will be a hit or a dud, but if it does perform well then maybe making it was the right call. But I’m not sure that many people out there were craving more Wonka movies.

Then you have other franchises that won’t seem to go away despite no one caring about them anymore. Apparently they’re making another Kingsman prequel? Why? The last movie flopped. Take a hint, Vaughn.

For older guys like me who watch SH movies as a nod back to childhood it's not so much as fatigue as I don't care about the new characters they're bringing out that I didn't grow up with. I assume there are a lot of us.
The Eternals? No idea who they are and no interest in finding out. Female Capt. Marvel? Ditto.
Plus, I'm not a fan of team ups and I like my SHs more grounded in reality. Batman, Daredevil, Spiderman. I don't need battles in the cosmos saving the human race. I like Batman battling criminals in little old Gotham.

For older guys like me who watch SH movies as a nod back to childhood it's not so much as fatigue as I don't care about the new characters they're bringing out that I didn't grow up with. I assume there are a lot of us.
The Eternals? No idea who they are and no interest in finding out. Female Capt. Marvel? Ditto.
Plus, I'm not a fan of team ups and I like my SHs more grounded in reality. Batman, Daredevil, Spiderman. I don't need battles in the cosmos saving the human race. I like Batman battling criminals in little old Gotham.

Not saying you don't exist or that you're the only one like this, but if you were even close to typical the MCU would've never been a hit in the first place. This doesn't seem very relevant at all to what changed in regards to the overarching audience response to a franchise that has always been heavy on team-ups and cosmic battles to save the human race and that has leaned on less popular characters from very early on.

We talk a lot about superhero fatigue here (and it makes sense, given that this is a superhero-themed message board), but are there other genres or franchises that you are personally tired of (or think other people are tired of)? I ask because I think some of the fatigue might be more to do with overusage of old, stale IP.

They just tried to restart the Hunger Games series, and it’s done okay, but I don’t think there were that many people clamoring for more of that universe (especially given how the previous series ended with such a thud). Now we have another Wonka movie, and I have to say I’m personally have Willy Wonka fatigue. Now, I know this is only the third Wonka movie (I think) but honestly, one was enough. Johnny Depp’s version was a crappy abomination and this one… I don’t know, am I the only one who is getting sick of seen Chalamet every five minutes? I have nothing against the guy and think he’s a decent actor but I feel like I see him everywhere now and I could do with less of that. But more importantly, I’ve never found the Wonka stories to be all that captivating. They’re fun and whimsical but did we really need more? It’s still too early to say whether it will be a hit or a dud, but if it does perform well then maybe making it was the right call. But I’m not sure that many people out there were craving more Wonka movies.

Then you have other franchises that won’t seem to go away despite no one caring about them anymore. Apparently they’re making another Kingsman prequel? Why? The last movie flopped. Take a hint, Vaughn.

I don't know if either example is relevant unless you're strictly talking about your personal "fatigue" of these franchises. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes has tripled its budget and that was essentially the film that drove The Marvels out of theaters. Wonka has made 160 million in two weeks, it's beating all post-pandemic musicals. Both are going to be lucrative, particularly in these days of unreliable box office. It helps that both films are good, Wonka in particular is pure Paul King magic and Timothée is excellent as the lead.

That does bring to mind that the two successful superhero films of 2023 are also the two good ones, Spider-Verse and GotG. Even if superhero movies are going to wane in general popularity, I'm sure there's still plenty of hits to come.

Yeah there’s serious fatigue. Should lower the budget and work on telling goods stories.
Lower the budget, lower the annual releases.

I do hope the Sony Spider-Man Universe unceremoniously ends neXt year, like how Dceu is ending this week. I fear that Madame Web and Kraven the Hunter would just tarnish the Marvel movie brand even more. I have no reason to think why Venom 3 would be a good movie.

I still think Disney moving forward with a Thunderbolts movie and a Blade movie for 2025 is going to be bad. While Fantastic 4 needs a killer lead in movie, and that killer lead in movie will not be Captain America Brave New World.

When it comes to Marvel, Spider-Man and Deadpool are the only surefire hits. I would say Avengers too, but the neXt movie would be so eXpensive to produce, it needs to clear a billion at the boX office. Shang-Chi 2 could easily underperform if Marvel doesn't course correct. Doctor Strange 3 and Black Panther 3 are still years away and I dread of another Thor movie.

DC aside from Joker 2/Batman 2, is a wait and see.

A lot of movie franchises don't feel interesting anymore and I think people see it that way and it shows at the boX office numbers. But I think the big studios are more willing to commit to an eXisting IP like Ghostbusters and Kung Fu Panda, than take a risk on newer ips that won't guarantee sequels.

Is there a new IP in the movies that have done well recently, like as big as Star Wars, Marvel, Jurassic Park, that led to sequels. I can't think of any. Also, Barbie isn't new as that was already a lucrative brand many decades ago.

It 100% is with Fallout, Bioshock , Gears of War down the line.
Hmm I honestly would love if Resident Evil, Horizon by Sony, God of War, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed, Street Fighter, Hitman and Mass Effect to become the new successful movie franchises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"