Superman Fails: Suicide jumper falls to his death

Spade

Seeking new challengers
Reaction score
I was surfing for Superman movie news when I came across this.

'Superman' tried to save suicide jumper
By Court Reporter

A 79-YEAR-OLD man killed himself by jumping 60ft to his death, an inquest heard.

Retired chauffeur Derrick Hill, of Holmcroft Way, Bromley, landed on concrete after falling from a multi-storey car park in Orpington High Street on August 15 last year.

Coroner Dr Roy Palmer recorded a verdict of suicide at Croydon Coroner's Court yesterday (July 3).

The inquest heard that a man dressed as Superman tried to stop Mr Hill jumping.

Fundraiser Tarryn Sparkes, aged 22, from Devon, had just taken part in a charity event and was returning to his car on the top floor of what was then the Marks and Spencer car park.

Mr Sparkes told the inquest: "I was going to take off my costume when I saw a man standing around.

"He looked over the top of the 4ft high wall and said I want to jump.' "I thought he was joking."

Mr Hill then started to climb the wall, and Mr Sparkes realised he was not joking.

Mr Sparkes added: "I said I would help him back down and he replied: Why?'

"He carried on climbing and I put my hand on his shoulder.

"A woman was driving past and I asked her to call the police."

The inquest then heard two PCSOs arrived on the scene.

Mr Hill turned around startled and lowered himself by his fingers before letting go.

Mr Sparkes said: "I was angry, I had felt as if I could have saved him."

Former PCSO Alex Theophous, now a British Transport Police constable, said: "In my mind he was going to jump.

"I thought we could get behind him and pull him from the ledge.

"As we got closer, my radio went off.

"He turned around and looked at me.

"We must have been a foot away from him and he let go."

A report from Mr Hill's doctor at Southborough Lane Surgery, Bromley, said he had been suffering from depression, with impaired concentration and loss of energy.

10:12am Friday 4th July 2008

It's a sad (yet ironic) happenstance. I'm curious, though, as to what was the catalyst behind Mr. Hill's depression. It sounds as if his doctor knew enough about his state of mind to determine what was the primary factor.

He dishonors the uniform.

l_e97791bacb20ef405c8be099bc379054.gif

I've watched that bottle for 10 minutes now....it doesn't seem to be getting any emptier!!!

I want that magic bottle! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"